News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chevy Crate Engine

Started by bountyhunter, October 15, 2008, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bountyhunter

Okay I don't want to start a fight or get stoned out of this forum or anything, but has anyone put a Chevy Crate Engine in their Charger???? I'm just curious, I know there was a post awhile back about Chevy vs. Mopar Crate engines but Im wondering if anyone has done it???? What their experience has been with this???
Okay everyone be nice.... :-\

Rolling_Thunder

I honestly don't see any reason not to do something like that...   I have a Ford transmission in my Charger (Tremec TKO) and some people put GM overdrives in theirs (Keisler kits) - why not install a GM engine...   you may catch some flack but it is afterall its a bigger bang for the buck.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

suntech

Personally i would not do it in a Charger. I am going with mopar motor (Hemi), and Tremec T56 gearcase (viper style), and Mark Williams modular rear, because i feldt it wrong to put a 9 inch Ford under there ( yes i know the third member has Ford parts)  :yesnod:
On the other hand, most 30´s ford hot rods has chevy engines, and everybody feels that is the natural thing to put in, and i would do the same thing, if i was building a car like that.
The purist would dislike a not correct date code on a jack hanger, and since i am not like that, i would say do like you want. I see the bang for the bucks angle! Building a Hemi is not sheap!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Silver R/T

you can always drop in a new "hemi" in there
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Or a Mopar Crate Wedge.  If you want bang for the buck, that is a route worth looking at too.

Shakey

I never understood why anyone ever swaped drivetrains between makes.   :Twocents:

dpm68

I put a 355 Chebby in a Toyota 4X once...

pettyfan43

Chevy crate engine in a Charger???!!!??!  That would SUCK! Why would you detune the car???? Put a real engine in there and enjoy. Besides you can BUILD a nice 383 or 440 for what a crate engine costs. Not to mention all the ridiculous fabrication and aggravation you are gonna go through trying to stick a brand X crap pile under the hood of a Charger.

If you wanted a crapolay engine, buy a Chevelle.  PLUS you are gonna spend a LOT of money time and aggravation to cut the value by 50-75% on the car.

Chevy people aren't gonna want to buy it and Mopar people are gonna laugh at you and not want it either.

Why put yourself through all that crap? Just drop a nice 383 or 440 in the thing and be done.  A 383 is a GREAT flexible engine for a driver.

Daytona R/T SE

I'd haul all of my cars to the crusher before I'd ever even consider bolting a Chevy engine into any of them. :icon_smile_angry:

G-man

chev engines are not as good period. I for the 1st time got to see what a stock 383ci feels like in a 68 charger (my own 1) and it hauls ass.

Charger-Bodie

Chevy crate engines are a good deal, and less money for what you get, But you can build a mopar engine just as reasonable.

Not to mention all the fab work to change it over and the cost to do so.

If you want a Chevy buy one. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dpm68

I did say that I once dropped a Chevy 355 in my Yota 4X but I certainly would not do it in my Charger or Satellite. Just clarifyin...

The70RT

Most people put chevys in ford street rods because it's cheaper,you can make it fit easier and weighs less than a ford small block. Chevy is cheaper to build too but if i had a 40 ford I would still want a ford engine in it. If you want to get laughed at sure go ahead but by the time you did all the mods on it you would end up questioning yourself anyway. Oh by the way stupid question  :slap:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68charger383

I don't see the big deal, I see a lot of chevy guy's putting 383 motors in their car :think: :ohhthesarcasm:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Blown70

Quote from: Shakey on October 15, 2008, 07:24:48 PM

I never understood why anyone ever swaped drivetrains between makes.   :Twocents:

AGREED!!!

Troy

Quote from: 68charger383 on October 16, 2008, 09:30:28 AM
I don't see the big deal, I see a lot of chevy guy's putting 383 motors in their car :think: :ohhthesarcasm:
:lol: yeah, but those are Chevy stroker motors.

I think the cost for a Chevy crate might be tempting but by the time you get it to fit into a Charger you could have saved a bunch of money, time, and hassle by just dropping in a motor that came in the car from the factory. Based on price, a Chevy small block is the option you'd be looking at and Mopar small block can be had cheap (like free). I can't imagine that you're talking about $10k+ big block crates. A Mopar 360-410 stroker crate isn't all that expensive and it will fit with no modifications. You can even build one yourself for less than ~$4k or a stock-type rebuild probably for less than $1k.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

IowaCharger69

The GM Goodwrench crate 350 280 horse motor is around 700$ my cost cause I have an inside connection. That is impossible to be. An engine with a warranty and the best used/aftermarket part support in the world for 700$! I would have done it in a heartbeat if my 400 turned out to be crap.

Thats pretty hard to turn down, but the fab work could throw the whole idea out the window for many people.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Blown70 on October 16, 2008, 09:37:36 AM

AGREED!!!
I play with other brands too, but I've never had the burning urge to swap drivetrains between them. :image_294343:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

LoneStar Mopar

Personally I love the chevy v8 engine. However it has no place in a mopar, especially a mopar muscle car. Leave the small block chevys for the ford guys to put into thier old cars.

Joshua

You've never driven a stock Model A have you????? ;D

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: IowaCharger69 on October 16, 2008, 11:16:26 AM
The GM Goodwrench crate 350 280 horse motor is around 700$

Thats pretty hard to turn down.

Cheap don't make it right.

I can get you a "Date" at the rest area out here on Interstate 70 for $20.

That's cheap...but really easy to turn down :eek2:

IowaCharger69

Ok, we all know cheap "aint" right. If I had a small block sitting around, and I had the knowhow to put it in my Charger I would. One more on the road. Not everybody can afford to be so righteous.

The70RT

If it has or had a 318 in it you can still find a good used one for a few hundered. Even if you had a small block chevy to put in you would need to modify:
wiring
exhaust
driveshaft
motor mounts
trans mount
trans linkage
maybe a different radiator
custom power steering lines
custom ac lines
custom trans lines

:blahblah:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: IowaCharger69 on October 16, 2008, 07:14:24 PM
Ok, we all know cheap "aint" right. If I had a small block sitting around, and I had the knowhow to put it in my Charger I would. One more on the road. Not everybody can afford to be so righteous.

So sell your charger and then you can afford a dozen chevies to stuff your $700 motors into ::)

bull

Go buy a Chevy and stop annoying us.