News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what size rims should i get 4 my general lee

Started by towscum, October 16, 2008, 01:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towscum

i know where to buy them at, americian racing vectors. but should i get 14/7 or 15,7 or 15/8. please help
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

Charger1973

Well, do you want 14x7", 15x7" or 15x8"?   :P  They will all fit, its whatever you prefer. 

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Charger1973 on October 16, 2008, 08:31:32 AM
Well, do you want 14x7", 15x7" or 15x8"?   :P  They will all fit, its whatever you prefer. 

Yep...that sureis right.  They used all those wheels on teh show, but I think they kind of kept a lot of 14x7's on hand.  IMO, I like the 15x7 on the front and 15x8.5 on the rear.  It gives it a good look.  That basically is it...what ever suites your fancy...go with it! ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Mike DC

GL wheel stuff as it relates to back in the TV show era:

--  14x7 got more screen time than any other wheel in the TV series.  Basically, it was the stock size on most Chargers they were using, it was a cheap thing to buy in those days, and it allowed a small contact patch for less grip (and thus, easier slides during filming).  Not great for ground clearance though.

--  14x7 seems to be the only wheel used in Georgia.  15x8s first appeared when they did the off-roader General Lee conversion in season#2, and showed up periodically from then on.  I don't think 15x7s ever actually appeared until the wider pushbar swap in mid-season#4.

--  14x7 was used particularly often on the front wheels.  They sometimes ran 15x7 or 15x8 on the rear wheels because they felt it handled a bit better that way, particularly during seasons #4-7.

--  15" front wheels (of either width) were rare in the TV series but it did happen sometimes during season#3 and early in season#4.  I don't think there was ever a single shot of a wide-pushbar GL in the TV series with 15x8s on all four corners.  The crew had decided against going big & wide on all four corners by the time they'd made the pushbar swap.

-----------------------------------------

GL wheel stuff as it relates to now on replicas:

--  15" diameter rims (of either width) allow larger brakes in front, like the very popular cheap disc brake conversions using parts from later Mopars for example.  And they offer more tire options these days.  And most folks seem to think the larger rims just look better. 

--  15x8" reproduction rims DO NOT clear the front balljoint on a 1968/69 Charger.  (Reproduction 15x7s still fit the front fine.)  The original 15x8s were a different offset (same as the 15x7s and 14x7s), and do not suffer from this problem that the reproduction 15x8s have.   

--  15x7 is the only size used on the 2005 movie GLs.  If you wanna see what 15x7 looks like, that's where to look.