News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Drum Red Paint Code

Started by 69RTSE, October 27, 2005, 11:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69RTSE

Does anyone have a paint code to duplicate the red paint on Mopar Brake Drums.  Thanks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Although I dont have a code, Roger Gibson sells the correct paint

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/

I went the $3.99 rattle can route, got some Ferd engine red piant (confirmed close match) and sprayed away.

Of course you know originally it was brushed on quite sloppilly avoiding the wheel contact area..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

Were they all red?  I've always seen black or rusty but it was done a long time after it was new.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Only cars that were optioned with the styled wheels (Road Wheel/Rally Wheel)

Check the bulliten and see triangle #6
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

Very cool.  You learn something every day around this place :)  Thanks!
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

69RTSE

Those Bullitins are very useful.  Does anyone produce a complete set that for 1969 Dodge's.  Thanks.

HeavyFuel

This practice started in '69, am I right, guys?

Just 6T9 CHGR

It was actually added pretty late in 69 if the date is correct on the bulliten

8/15/69 unless this is a revision
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

I think it's a revision, since my Daytona has its original drums still on it and it was spec'd with the 14" Road (styled) Wheels.   There's not much red paint left on the front or rear drums, but you can tell it was there.   Build date of 6/9/69.

Note #6 on the Bulletin Chris posted makes reference to "P.S. 3840" as the source of the instructions for the painted band.   Chris is right that Note #6 was added on 8/15/69, but I think they painted the bands before that since 8/15/69 would have been after the '70 model year started.

I have a copy of that same bulletin, in a big stack of bulletins from 1970.   I asked David Patik (from Performance Car Graphics, who got me what bulletins I have) if they had any from '69.   He said that there was someone from Alabama that had stumbled across these, and he wasn't aware of any from '69 that had surfaced.   There might be someone out there sitting on a whole bunch of them, but David wasn't aware of such.

:Twocents:

Geno

hemigeno

For the record, I have since obtained an earlier-issued version of the same Engineering Illustration shown in this thread - but with an initial issue date of 2/19/1968.  This means 1969 model cars with Road Wheels were most definitely intended to receive the red paint.

There are two part numbers shown for the red enamel paint used - 3404653, and the earlier/revised version 2200090.  Exactly what shades of red are represented by those part numbers,   :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemigeno on March 13, 2012, 10:10:18 AM
For the record, I have since obtained an earlier-issued version of the same Engineering Illustration shown in this thread - but with an initial issue date of 2/19/1968.  This means 1969 model cars with Road Wheels were most definitely intended to receive the red paint.

There are two part numbers shown for the red enamel paint used - 3404653, and the earlier/revised version 2200090.  Exactly what shades of red are represented by those part numbers,   :shruggy:

Any chance of scanning & posting Gene?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 13, 2012, 05:14:56 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on March 13, 2012, 10:10:18 AM

Any chance of scanning & posting Gene?

Chris, I'll send you a PM