News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok, so I owe the IRS money...

Started by Charger_Fan, October 27, 2005, 12:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Fan

A while ago I was setting up a nice 'payment plan' for my stinkin' underpaid taxes (don't ask :icon_smile_dissapprove: ) & when the ass-draggin' monotoned lady on the other end of the phone got to telling my that the total amount would be xxxx.xx plus interest...(there was a 5 second pause on my end, while I failed an attempt at a witty comeback for the interest thing)...then she sez "because we ARE a lending institution".

Big loooong pause on my end, while I processed this newfound information...including with another failed attempt at any reciprocated wit...I was apparently dumbfounded & decided to not waste valuable oxygen trying to fight the system & solemnly agreed to take my lumps by quietly making my monthly payments.

So...6 or 7 months later, I still can't figure out why they consider themsleves a LENDING INSTITUTION. :ahum:
I don't recall ever being allowed to borrow money from them, nor do I recall anyone else I've known ever saying "hey, I just got a $18,000 loan from the IRS to go buy a new (used) truck...they have cheap interest rates!"

Someone enlighten me.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MichaelRW

I think she was being a smart a**. But if not, ask if you can refinance at a lower interest rate. ;D
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Blown70

Heck if they are a lending inst.  Tell them you want a loan... Don't all lending inst.  Have a set of rules.... :icon_smile_wink:

I do not much care for the way IRS handles things.... :rotz:

Tom

Charger_Fan

Yeah, maybe I should have asked for a low interest loan to pay off my taxes. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

TruckDriver

Or don't pay them and then we can see you on the 5 o'clock news :D
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BigBlackDodge

Assume the position! :icon_smile_evil:

.....ya ever see that scene in Deliverance were the Redneck (IRS) meets up with Ned Beatty (that would be you CF!).............

BBD

Charger_Fan

The things I want to write about the IRS aren't exactly family friendly so I'll bite my tongue.  Mmf thn amuf.   :-X 
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

694spdRT

I am surprised she didn't mention penalties for late payment on top of the interest. I have a friend that got into that situation and from what he said the penalties were pretty painful.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger_Fan

There were penalties...something like $500, which I pretty much expected. I was just a little dumbfounded by the 'lending' remark & it keeps popping back into my head now & then.

694spdRT

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 27, 2005, 11:35:16 PM
There were penalties...something like $500, which I pretty much expected. I was just a little dumbfounded by the 'lending' remark & it keeps popping back into my head now & then.

If they are lenders...we must be the investors that provide capital.  Funny, I have not been provided with a prospectus like most of my other investments.... ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69charger2002

did you get audited to owe the money or was it from not filing your taxes a couple years or what? i'm just curious, could care less how much you owe blah blah blah, just the reasoning. LOTS of people owe the IRS money here lately, i just want to know what happened to get to that situation
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

nh_mopar_fan

Actually most people are lenders to the IRS.

People lend them money all year and at the end of the year, they give some of it back to you. It's a pretty lousy deal too as they pay 0% interest on your money that they hold all year. To top it off, lots of people actually get excited to get what they have overpaid all year back to them.

::)

Tom_440

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 28, 2005, 07:22:46 AM
Actually most people are lenders to the IRS.

People lend them money all year and at the end of the year, they give some of it back to you. It's a pretty lousy deal too as they pay 0% interest on your money that they hold all year. To top it off, lots of people actually get excited to get what they have overpaid all year back to them.

::)

Well said! Sure would be nice to see income tax go away. I could live with a national sales tax because I can't afford to buy anything anyway.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 69charger2002 on October 28, 2005, 12:24:28 AM
did you get audited to owe the money or was it from not filing your taxes a couple years or what? i'm just curious, could care less how much you owe blah blah blah, just the reasoning. LOTS of people owe the IRS money here lately, i just want to know what happened to get to that situation
trav
No audit, I just more or less shot myself in the foot.
A couple years ago our oldest turned 18, so we couldn't claim him on our taxes & that brought the amount of dependents I was claiming right to the edge...I usually try to have a little more taken out, because I detest paying at the end of the year. :flame:
Last lear our 2nd kid turned 18 & my wife and I forgot all about reducing the amount of dependents taken from each check...so we ended up owing, of course.

It sucks now that I have no dependants I can claim, my checks are smaller. :-[

Arigmaster

We owe the IRS but are buried with medical bills from an accident back in January which left my Daughter in a three day coma, and a month and a half of medical bills... I figure they can just wait their turn...

We sold one of our rental properties to buy a new home and got hit with capital gains taxes on it. Now we are selling our old place and I will be able to write off everything that I couldn't before because we were owner occupied from the past 5 years. (was a 2 family and could only write off 1/2 of everything) So, The other less the taxes I owe (incl. interest) should guarante me a sweet return in addition to the equity built up over the past 8 years... BTW  They cant charge capital gains on it when I sell this one because it was my primary residence...  I get lats laugh this time!!!

http://www.shorewest.com/vp/ListingServlet?SITE=SHOREW&ScreenID=LISTING_DETAIL_P&cd_MLS=618336

I bought it for 94K in 1998... Mortage including escrow was 850/mo & rent from next door was 775/mo... left me plenty for doing improvements and already wrote off half of everything...Now I get the other half...

last word for IRS.... HA!