News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windsheild removal questions

Started by speedfreak68, October 21, 2008, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfreak68

I was preparing to remove the front windshield in my 68 and was planning on just cutting it out but then I looked at in and it looks like there are rubber gaskets that hold it in. What is the best way to remove the glass? I read some of the old posts but it seemed that most people were just cutting out the epoxy that held them in but I can't see that im my car.
Thanks
Martin

speedfreak68

Anyone have any idea what Im talking about?

oldgold69

b bodies have rubber gaskets. after you take chrome off. you unzip the locking seal [the line in the middle of the rubber] stick a screwdriver in the slit and fold the rubber away from each other. then get a plastic stick and run it around the inside and outside of the rubber and the glass. soap the rubber real good with gojo or dawn dish soap and slowly push on the glass starting at the top . push easy  push to hard it will break.  if you dont care about the glass push with your feet. they usally break. if you want save the glass. but will buy a new window seal. you can cut the top of the rubber off so the top of the glass is free to push straight out

speedfreak68

ok thanks alot that really helps.  :cheers:

Hemidog

let me know how it worked out for you speedfreak68, I'm doing the same this winter, and want to save the glass....

speedfreak68

I won't be back home for a week, but when I get there thats the first thing I'm gona try that way I can get the dash out.  :2thumbs:

john108

I just removed mine last week (68 Charger).  I used a linolium knife (It is like a utility knife but the blade has a hook shape.  The sharp edge is on the inside of the hook so it only cuts the rubber and doesn't scratch what is below it)  I also cut the line, in the middle of the seal, from the outside, all the way around the outside of the windshield.  I was then able to peal off the inner portion of the seal, around the glass.  I then found that if I reached inside the car and grabbed the seal, I could pull the remaining rubbed into the car away from the glass.  You have to be carefull because there is a 1/4 inch gap between the glass and frame that supports the seal.  I had a blanket on my hood and slowly removed the seal from the top and slowley down the sides. The bottom was last.  The window just lifted out.  I would highly recommend a second person help, but I did it myself.

six-tee-nine

After 40 years of sitting in the same place my gasket was really hard and IMO not reusable because it will never be sealable again.
So I just cut the outside part of the gasket away and then still the windshield was kinda glued to the remains of the gasket....

Ask yourself this : what do I want : a cut up 40 year old gasket and a nice windshield or a nice gasket (wich is still 40 years old and maybe just junk) and a broken windshiled...

I knew what to do.....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Mike DC

Have the issues with replacement windshields & gaskets ever been sorted out?  (There's the two different thicknesses of the old glass, but for a while there was only one possible thickness of new replacement gasket, and for a long time it was a b*tch to get new replacement glasses without the blue window tint, etc.) 

Is it finally possible to just throw money at some companies, and get a brand new non-tinted glass + a new gasket that fits this new glass correctly?