News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

Just wondering why you didn't go with the full quarters that are available? Just my  :Twocents: but if you are going to replace those quarters it's easier to do them whole instead of the welding and bodywork that is going to have to be done on those patch panels....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

jb666

Quote from: Hemidoug on November 21, 2008, 05:24:22 PM
Just wondering why you didn't go with the full quarters that are available? Just my  :Twocents: but if you are going to replace those quarters it's easier to do them whole instead of the welding and bodywork that is going to have to be done on those patch panels....

The shop doing the work preferred it this way. The metal on the upper panels is clean and they've done a lot of panels this way by choice.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mikepmcs

now that you are in some serious resto mode, might want to think about taping and covering some of that interior or take it out.  Once that body dust starts flying you'll wish you did when it's time to clean. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 21, 2008, 06:01:24 PM
now that you are in some serious resto mode, might want to think about taping and covering some of that interior or take it out.  Once that body dust starts flying you'll wish you did when it's time to clean. 

Absolutely :cheers:

BigBlockSam

Quoteust wondering why you didn't go with the full quarters that are available?

:yesnod:  i agree with your shop . why get into cutting the roof and having to remove the back window . plus full quarters cost a lot more  :Twocents:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

jb666

They definitely cost a LOT more.. And like you said, why cut up panels and get into areas that are actually clean.  They are cutting these quarters right below the lip, and believe me when I say this, the guy installing these is incredible with a welder.. I'm looking forward to the results. :2thumbs:

Cozmo

Man, this is turning into a lot more work and $$$ than I had originally thought it would. Good luck to ya.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Cozmo on November 21, 2008, 09:07:23 PM
Man, this is turning into a lot more work and $$$ than I had originally thought it would. Good luck to ya.

I just gotta say Cozmo, i love the paint on your chevette!!!   :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Mike DC

QuoteThe shop doing the work preferred it this way. The metal on the upper panels is clean and they've done a lot of panels this way by choice.

The shop probably won't prefer those quarter skins anymore by the time they're done installing them.  If they've never done a 2nd-gen Charger re-quarter skinning before, they're in for an unpleasant surprise. 

Tell them to try holding up one of the replacements and compare the doorjamb area.  It won't fit the car at all; the replacement will have to be cut at the middle bodyline and bent farther than it came.  And it's probably too long in back too.  And the wheelwell flange is too wide, which few people ever actually correct when they do this job, etc . . .

---------------------------------------------------------

If the car was mine, I'd get the newer "full" repro quarters. 

But at the same time, just because you've bought a repro panel of a certain size, there's no law saying you have to use it all.  If the rust damage is a lot smaller than the whole panels and the current quarters are factory-originals, I'd consider cutting down a full repro quarter to just a smaller section.

Cozmo

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 21, 2008, 09:21:52 PM

Thanks man. Here's another shot for ya!  :lol:

jb666

Exactly, we are not using the entire panel. It's much easier this way.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 21, 2008, 09:35:59 PM
QuoteThe shop doing the work preferred it this way. The metal on the upper panels is clean and they've done a lot of panels this way by choice.

The shop probably won't prefer those quarter skins anymore by the time they're done installing them.  If they've never done a 2nd-gen Charger re-quarter skinning before, they're in for an unpleasant surprise. 

Tell them to try holding up one of the replacements and compare the doorjamb area.  It won't fit the car at all; the replacement will have to be cut at the middle bodyline and bent farther than it came.  And it's probably too long in back too.  And the wheelwell flange is too wide, which few people ever actually correct when they do this job, etc . . .

---------------------------------------------------------

If the car was mine, I'd get the newer "full" repro quarters. 

But at the same time, just because you've bought a repro panel of a certain size, there's no law saying you have to use it all.  If the rust damage is a lot smaller than the whole panels and the current quarters are factory-originals, I'd consider cutting down a full repro quarter to just a smaller section.

69charger2002

[quote author=Cozmo link=topic=50620.msg554473#msg554473 <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='date';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://cheetahserve.info?v=1%2E26&ss=date">date</a>=1227322783]
[quote author=PocketThunder link=topic=50620.msg554450#msg554450 <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='date';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://cheetahserve.info?v=1%2E26&ss=date">date</a>=1227320512]

[/quote]

ummm...

Thanks man. Here's another shot for ya!  :lol:

[/quote]
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Cozmo

I know it's a bad photochop. I'm a friend of JB's from another forum. When he first got the general, a mutual friend photochopped a couple of pictures of my car in the General Lee color scheme messing with JB.  :icon_smile_big:

skip68

:cheers:  Welcome to the site Cozmo.  :cheers: I wish it was better circumstances but welcome anyway.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Cozmo

Quote from: skip68 on November 22, 2008, 12:53:04 AM
:cheers:  Welcome to the site Cozmo.  :cheers: I wish it was better circumstances but welcome anyway.

Hey thanks man.  :cheers:

Hopefully JB can get the issues squared away with his car, still have some money left and realize his dream!  :2thumbs:

I've always loved American iron. There are some pretty sweet cars on this forum. My second car was a 68 Roadrunner with a 383. I sold it to my cousin when I entered the USAF. He crashed it.  :brickwall: Wish I still had that car.

jb666

Thanks guys!!

Ok, a few new pictures. The car is coming together REALLY nicely. The rear frame sections are all in (those that aren't welded are in place waiting to be welded). The rear quarters are coming off this week, and lots more pictures will follow.

But, first off, BK charged for a transmission cooler. You see one anywhere? I see lines going directly into the radiator. Excuse the mess, the harness is in the middle of being installed and everything's being cleaned up. The engine bay is a MESS!!

Second, from these shots you can see the "crooked" motor  :lol:

Here you can see everything coming together really nicely. There's still a TON of work to be done, but it's starting to look like a car again!!

The rest of the frame (where the weld is) was in REALLY nice shape, and factory is always better, so instead of changing out the entire rail, sections of the new rails were used.

The subframe connectors are gorgeous. They are exactly like another member who posted in here (sorry I can't remember who), but I can definitely see where they will stiffen the car up!!

Stay tuned!!  :cheers: :cheers:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

jb666

I wanted to take a second to thank everyone that's PM'd and emailed me with their advice and help. It's amazing how helpful people here are, taking time out of their days for me. Here's to a great group of people!!  :cheers:

BigBlockSam

wow man your doing a great job. i dig all the pics your posting . thanks . Rene :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Big Sugar

Well It looks like your handleing things well The Charger will be as good as it should have been origionaly, It's a shame it had to go like this, But you certainly Showed BK a little Handiwork.

Let's hope you find a way to recoup some of your losses.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

jb666

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 23, 2008, 12:05:08 PM
wow man your doing a great job. i dig all the pics your posting . thanks . Rene :cheers:

Well, I couldn't have done most of this without the help and suggestions I'm getting here. I'm REALLY excited about the car being done, next year will be great (and loaded with car shows), so I'll be ready!!

It's funny sitting here , reading my own thread, I can remember 2 months ago driving home with this thing on a trailer behind me thinking "I could just drive straight to tomorrow's huge car show and show it!!".

Imagine my horror if I had done that and had people SHRED the car to bits...

jb666

Quote from: Big Sugar on November 23, 2008, 12:06:09 PM
Well It looks like your handleing things well The Charger will be as good as it should have been origionaly, It's a shame it had to go like this, But you certainly Showed BK a little Handiwork.

Let's hope you find a way to recoup some of your losses.

Ron

There are lots of legal routes I could go, I just need to determine which route I WANT to take. I certainly hope this thread will show up when anyone (new buyer) searches BK AUTO GENERAL LEE on Google.. It'll open some eyes. I've already had two PM's from people who were shocked at this car and ready to pull the trigger on an EBay ad they saw  :o

68charger383

I don't know JB, I just did a search for BK Auto on yahoo and nothing about this post came up. Only info on BK Auto................
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

jb666

Quote from: 68charger383 on November 23, 2008, 12:18:08 PM
I don't know JB, I just did a search for BK Auto on yahoo and nothing about this post came up. Only info on BK Auto................

It takes time.. It'll appear, eventually. Plus, when I launch my website it'll definitely be on the top of the list.. I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

What's sad is BK told me "I won't be held hostage to your ransom notes". Never once did I TELL THEM to "pay me or else". I simply told them the only way they could make this right was to offer to help out with these (necessary) repairs.