News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 25, 2008, 12:50:26 PM
That is true, but it would take a lot of money for a lawyer to sort this out and it looks like jb666 has his hands full already with the repairs on his car.
I wonder if a "class action suit" would be the way to go?
There must be other guys that bought some of these cars from BK and are aware of the shoddy work, maybe get in touch with them? There would be no loop holes for BK to slip through if a BK customer sues.

I've already got 2 other "old customers" with similar situations. Not saying we are/aren't going to sue, just saying I've had 2 others contact me with horror stories like mine. I'm searching/waiting for more.  :2thumbs:  They have both made it clear they won't be posting, but are definitely onboard..

That's also why it's important that this thread is linked to as many car related forums as possible. One guy found me through a "Hybrid Forum". Go figure!! :lol:

moparstuart

class action suits are for DEEP pockets  , We know BK doesnt have much left to split .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi-hampton

If jb666 boughta $35,000 car for $35,000 you cant complain. But if Brian bought a $35,000 car for $70,000 then he's got something to complain & sue about since he's been ripped $35,000. The way I see it :shruggy: LEON.

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 25, 2008, 04:41:16 PM
If jb666 boughta $35,000 car for $35,000 you cant complain. But if Brian bought a $35,000 car for $70,000 then he's got something to complain & sue about since he's been ripped $35,000. The way I see it :shruggy: LEON.

I agree with your philosophy, but DID I get what I paid for? No. I got what I deserved, but that's a different story.

Did Brian get ripped off? BIG TIME, no doubt about that.

The70RT

Why Brian pushed this under a rug is just baffling,  :misbehaving: especially if he sold because of hard times. Anyone would have known when the car was passed on something negative would show up sooner or later. I guess maybe since he lost so much he would figure the next owner would understand :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jb666

Quote from: The70RT on November 25, 2008, 07:06:15 PM
Why Brian pushed this under a rug is just baffling,  :misbehaving: especially if he sold because of hard times. Anyone would have known when the car was passed on something negative would show up sooner or later. I guess maybe since he lost so much he would figure the next owner would understand :shruggy:

I know, I can't figure it out either, and I've tried.. I couldn't pass something like this along to anyone...

jeff69

Wow! I hate hearing this shop did this, and then the one in Conroe got raided. What the hell is going on in the Houston area? I guess they did not count on websites like this posting their dirty laundry. I hope it all works out for you.

jb666

Thanks, Jeff.

Ok, check these shots out.. Today, while working on the area around the rear window (removing the panel between the quarters) this is what they found. EXCELLENT body work!!

Here's how they 'made' the rear panel. Notice the excellent welding job. Love the use of the square tubing that was welded on the underside.

This is the pc that's actually INSIDE the trunk, under the rear panel.

And finally, the rear window lip. NICE, huh?? No wonder this was leaking.

On to the rear quarter removal..

Nice rocker panel..

Bondo, anyone??

:o Good thing this is all coming out.. .What a mess!

jb666

Also, I spoke to Brian tonight. He did advertise the car for sale before he ever took delivery of it. He almost couldn't afford to complete the job, but scraped up what he needed to get it shipped home. Thomas at BK told him he was the "first person in 20 years to complain about anything".  :brickwall:

Anyways, Brian said he posted the story in the above link out of fun, that the only ride he went in the General was a 5 mile (round trip) ride to the gas station, it was never out again. He had the car in his possession for 2 weeks.

That's all I can go by, and I believe it, because if he had the car sitting in his garage he'd have taken some updated pictures for his for sale ad..  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

skip68

JB, I got an email from C.C. from the fine state of Texas today.  They are still waiting on me to give them what you and I have talked about.  :yesnod:   I've kept quiet on most everything that I've done and for good reasons. But, I do want to update this site. :yesnod:  I now feel like letting out just enough so that everyone here can see that I and JB are doing our civic duty . :yesnod:  :naughty:  As of last Thursday, I have made several contacts. One of which is with the state of Texas.  :yesnod:  And because of that, we have had a guest from the state reading this thread.  :scratchchin: :icon_smile_big:  At this point, it is safe to let this out and that is all that I'm going to say.  ;)  The squeaky mouse gets the cheese.  :icon_smile_big:  Chuck..........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

jb666

Quote from: TK73 on November 25, 2008, 09:47:00 PM
Has this thread been "linked" on other Muscle car sites??

Any/all help is certainly appreciated, but we've been working to link this up just about everywhere we can  :cheers:

hemi-hampton

Looks like your typical Michigan Rust bucket, I have to deal with cars like these on a Daily basis unfortunately. Hopefully some justice can be done. Good Luck.

P.S. At least ytou got inner rockers

skip68

:o   Man, after looking at those last pictures I'm thinking that you would be better off spending $5k to $7k for a nice solid roller.  I know that we are going to find more as you remove the paint.  I think I would have got all the paint off first.  :rotz:  Man, I'm so sorry to see that.  :pity:  I'm also thinking... :scratchchin: If the base car came with a motor, did BK take off some money for the motor that Brian supplied or credit him ?   :shruggy:  It looks like they took the parts car they had and filled it with bondo for Brian.  :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69DodgeCharger

I'd buy a whole different body for the amount of time and money that one is going to take, unless your getting the deal of the century on labor, doing it all yourself or are just plain rich.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

RallyeMike

QuoteI'd buy a whole different body for the amount of time and money that one is going to take, unless your getting the deal of the century on labor, doing it all yourself or are just plain rich.

I can't figure it out either. How can so much money be pissed away with so little thought? The whole thread is just kind of sickening and fascinating at the same time - kind of like a super slow-motion, soap opera / train wreck. BK deserves everything they have coming to them, but they wouldn't exist at all if a few more brain cells were engaged up front. I guess perhaps we have all made mistakes of various magnitudes at one point, ....... but, wow.

Some parallels, however, are beginning to help me understand a little better this whole financial crisis/dilemma the nation is involved in:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

jb666

First,its too late to even think about turning back.

Second, this isn't costing the amount some of you are assuming it is. A solid roller would run me $6k+.

To me, this project is gratifying knowing it'll be done right.

jb666

I want to stay on track here. The reason I'm posting all these pictures isnt to criticize why/how this is getting fixed. It's to show what BK AUTO covered up and make sure their next customer doesn't fall for the hype.

You've all been a big help, especially you, Chuck :cheers:

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on November 26, 2008, 06:34:32 AM
First,its too late to even think about turning back.

Second, this isn't costing the amount some of you are assuming it is. A solid roller would run me $6k+.

To me, this project is gratifying knowing it'll be done right.

I don't how"perfect" you are going to want to make this thing, but it's going to cost you more than you think and that is going to be a ton. The biggest problem is that you started any work at all. Just the fact that you did means you could never return the vehicle as sold to the seller. This just makes things more complicated.

jb666

Ok, there appears to be a lot of assuming going on around here..

1. I have no intentions (nor have I mentioned) ever wanting to return the car.

2. Some of you guys are assuming this is costing me a fortune. You are wrong. The circumstances around this deal I won't get into, but it's not setting me back like you think it is.

3. It's not about the $$. I don't know how many times I've said this. It's about the principal and not letting someone get away with this fraudulent activity.

Look at it this way, a good friend of mine has owned his own business for 25 years. He's an excellent mechanic and has a great reputation. One day he was service papers from a person who's car broke down ONE YEAR after he fixed it, causing an accident. The person was suing him for $30k. It cost my buddy $33k to fight this person to the end, BUT HE WON. My point is it's not always about $$, it's about principal.

I AM NOT TURNING BACK NOW.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 26, 2008, 03:44:10 AM
QuoteI'd buy a whole different body for the amount of time and money that one is going to take, unless your getting the deal of the century on labor, doing it all yourself or are just plain rich.

I can't figure it out either. How can so much money be pissed away with so little thought? The whole thread is just kind of sickening and fascinating at the same time - kind of like a super slow-motion, soap opera / train wreck. BK deserves everything they have coming to them, but they wouldn't exist at all if a few more brain cells were engaged up front. I guess perhaps we have all made mistakes of various magnitudes at one point, ....... but, wow.

Some parallels, however, are beginning to help me understand a little better this whole financial crisis/dilemma the nation is involved in:

No criticism intended on my part. I just think a guy would be better off with a more solid foundation to start with. But if your happy with your course of action then that's great. I'm just saying it looks like $20,000 in body repairs painting alone. As I recall there is nothing special about the car to warrant the kind of money being spent on it. It's not an R/T or original Warner Bros. General Lee. Couldn't a guy have bought a quality GL clone for just a bit more? Either way best of luck with your project. At least your working on it. more than I can say lately.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

jb666

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on November 26, 2008, 08:51:07 AM
Quote from: RallyeMike on November 26, 2008, 03:44:10 AM

No criticism intended on my part. I just think a guy would be better off with a more solid foundation to start with. But if your happy with your course of action then that's great. I'm just saying it looks like $20,000 in body repairs painting alone. As I recall there is nothing special about the car to warrant the kind of money being spent on it. It's not an R/T or original Warner Bros. General Lee. Couldn't a guy have bought a quality GL clone for just a bit more? Either way best of luck with your project. At least your working on it. more than I can say lately.

One funny thing is what BK posted in their contact. That it was a "318 automatic floor shift car". After decoding the vin/fender tag the car is a 383 4speed a/c car. Does this make it rare? I have no clue, I'm not a "Mopar guy"  :lol:

PocketThunder

Quote from: jb666 on November 26, 2008, 09:01:02 AMOne funny thing is what BK posted in their contact. That it was a "318 automatic floor shift car". After decoding the vin/fender tag the car is a 383 4speed a/c car. Does this make it rare? I have no clue, I'm not a "Mopar guy"  :lol:

Yes, 383 4-speed cars are in short supply.  Or is that only in '68?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

The story here is much more than just some butcher calling himself a body man. More than just taking advantage of people. It's more about people BEING taken by a butcher that calls himself a body man..

We all know these guys are out there. We have dealt with some of them in the past. What is being done here is a public service. I applaud JB for doing this.

This exposure of what CAN and HAS happened to himself and others is a reality and somehow needs to be stopped. The days of a mans word is all but faint memory and it makes me sick.

People that advertise cars as top shelf and sell them to the unsuspecting are nothing less than dangerous thieves. Had that car come apart on a highway and killed someone just who do you think would be on the hook? Who would have that nightmare for the rest of his life? The builder has already proven that he can sleep at night. Why should anyone let him? He put his greed over not only dreams, but LIVES.  That just isn't right in my book.

I would like to see this story and others like it in every magazine and on every web site.

Maybe I am wrong, but when my grandfather taught  me that a man is only as good as his word I took it to heart. I thought it meant that if you tell someone that you will do something or did something it had better be done or you should die doing it.

JB has shown just how much he wants his dream to become a reality. Yes, he should have checked the car out as much as he could before buying it. That didn't happen because he trusted a shop at their word and was, for lack of a better word, "GIDDY" about having his dream car.  Well, he has learned the VERY hard way that some people are nothing more than thieves and is now trying to help keep others from making the same mistake. 

His car will one day live up to his dreams and he will be proud and it will be well deserved. My bet is that he will NEVER stop telling people about this experience  and never stop showing the pictures that will make people that love cars hurl. I know I would. I would have KODAK on speed dial making sure every picture is very large and crystal clear. At every show I would have the pictures on a billboard showing and telling everyone with interest.   

Maybe that's just me....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida