News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Quote from: 68charger383 on December 09, 2008, 10:30:47 AM
Hey JB, here is a video I found on a GL resto I believe by the Smith Bros....now that is a nice job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJ47MZkWbM&NR=1

Oh yeah, those guys are amazing.. I mean come on, would BK recommend them if they weren't??  :lol: :lol:

Cozmo

jb666

Quote from: Cozmo on December 09, 2008, 11:13:28 PM
Any new pictures?   :apimp:

Not yet, I'm heading to the shop in the next day or two. I'll have some good shots :2thumbs:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

I'm headed to see the car tomorrow.. A LOT has been done since my last update... And I just got this email about 5 minutes ago...

I replaced the other sail panel and got the rear filler panel between the window and trunk welded in, wheel opening flanges and quarter flanges are trimmed, corner fillers welded and ground, seamsealed underneath and started undercoating, it looks like a car again

I'll have plenty of pictures!!

Steve P.

Damn, I'm getting excited for ya..... You say this guy is in Mass. huh??   ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on December 12, 2008, 09:19:43 PM
Damn, I'm getting excited for ya..... You say this guy is in Mass. huh??   ;)

Yep, he's about 30 minutes South of Boston , in Hanson Mass.

Oh!! I meant to share an email I got earlier, from the shop owner.. I appears there's a bit more publicity coming this way... I'll get it from my other computer, but he's formerly from Hot Rod magazine and found this thread to be VERY newsworthy...
:popcrn:

jb666

Ok, here it is.. I left names out of this for obvious reasons...

He is a freelance writer for a bunch of magazines and racing websites. He asked what I was working on and I told him whats what and sent him the dodgecharger.com link

He asked:
Would it be cool to come by next week sometime and take some photos and get you some free publicity?

I'd run a story on you/your shop, and the stuff you're jamming on now

It's a site that myself, and **** ********** (formerly of Hot Rod), and a silent partner started. We're getting good traffic and the readers would love to see some of that stuff.
Totally your call, but we'd love to have it for the site!

The Charger deal is freaking insane...... Good on you for putting it right.  Wow!

jb666

I meant to post these when I got them a couple of days ago.. Just another "BK FIX" that'll crack you up.. Leaving vinyl from the old top and the plastic clips under Bondo??  :smilielol:

A quote from the shop:

the roof edge is not rotted, it is buckled because of some patching they did. They didnt patch the entire edge as you can see by the holes, nor did they sandblast the roof or sailpanels. There is still clips with vinyl from the old roof under the plastic

And:

the top is solid, funny thing is the roof was buckled down where they put a patch, on either side of the patch was rot. I stuck the airsaw thru the rot to start cutting the entire section out, as soon as I went the the patch the roof sprung up and split the bondo all the way across, it took most of the buckle out, now its a lot better. If they werent leaning on the roof when the patch went in it would have been fine.

So it's a good thing BK will only be doing rollers from now on.. That's certainly a relief!!

jb666

Ok, I just got back from the shop, and I have to say, in person the car looks AMAZING. The work is outstanding.. I hope a few of these shots can fairly represent what I saw when I was there...

First, these are a few of the PIECES of the rear window lip.. To represent the thickness of the Bondo back there, I used a quarter...  :lol: , it was nasty.. One funny note here, the rear window that was BONDO'D into the car isn't even a Charger rear window (at least not a '69 Charger window). We have no clue what it's supposed to be in , but not this car!!

And yes, this is a PROFILE shot of the mud:

Here are a few more, clips still attached, buried under Bondo:

If you look close here, you can see the original vinyl top UNDER THE BONDO!!

:eek2:

Thick enough?

Now the reconstruction begins.. The roof, surprisingly, except for what you see above, was clean metal.

New rear sail panels patched in..

Passenger's side rear quarter:

Driver's:

A few shots of the undercarriage, which looks absolutely incredible..

Remember the welds where the new frame rails were attached?? Long gone!!

Other side:

hemi-hampton

Now why didn't BK do that kind of work for that $59,000 they charged for that body minus drivetrain? :scratchchin: :shruggy: :slap:

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 13, 2008, 04:12:39 PM
Now why didn't BK do that kind of work for that $59,000 they charged for that body minus drivetrain? :scratchchin: :shruggy: :slap:

But don't worry, they aren't selling "turn-key" cars any more. People all over the world should feel good knowing they can buy a nice solid roller ready for a drivetrain!!

General_01

What's the difference what you buy from them. They will still overcharge for crappy work. :flame:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on December 13, 2008, 04:18:35 PM
What's the difference what you buy from them. They will still overcharge for crappy work. :flame:
:lol:

I was being sarcastic. They seem to think the problem with their work is the "turn-key" product. It's with EVERY ASPECT of their work. The only thing they are GOOD at is keeping Bondo in business....

General_01

I caught your sarcasm. I just think it is dispicable what some people think good work is. I understand doing it the way they did IF they charged $2,000 for supplies and a paint job. Instead, they charged $59,000 - $12,000(drivline)-$5000(shell)=$42,000 for that kind of work. A$% wipes.
496 stroker
4-speed

hemi-hampton

I dont think the Hemi motor was included in $59k price but supplied by owner. Is this correct? LEON.

General_01

Actually, I think you are right, beause SD said 70K into the car, so that would have included the drivetrain. Makes them bigger a$% wipes. :flame:
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on December 13, 2008, 04:24:33 PM
I caught your sarcasm. I just think it is dispicable what some people think good work is. I understand doing it the way they did IF they charged $2,000 for supplies and a paint job. Instead, they charged $59,000 - $12,000(drivline)-$5000(shell)=$42,000 for that kind of work. A$% wipes.

Leon is right...

Try these on for figures...

$59k WITHOUT THE DRIVETRAIN.

Motor - Almost $20k , supplied by the customer. All in all, Brian had WELL OVER $70k into this car (He thought at one point he was close to $90k!!!).

$5k shell? They charged him $25K FOR THE SHELL! And this was "discounted" down from $35k which is their standard price JUST FOR THE SHELL.

Steve P.

It is NOT just the shoddy workmanship. Nor is it the cost. It's ALSO the fact that they let this rolling death trap out of their building and call it drivable!!!!!

I absolutely think what they did with this car is criminal. They lead their customers to believe that these cars are ready for the road the same way a Ford or GM or Chrysler dealership would.

I truly hope that this thread makes it around the World and everyone that has bought a vehicle from BK will inspect it closely or take it to a qualified automotive inspector right away.  
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on December 13, 2008, 04:35:03 PM
It is NOT just the shoddy workmanship. Nor is it the cost. It's ALSO the fact that they let this rolling death trap out of their building and call it drivable!!!!!

I absolutely think what they did with this car is criminal. They lead their customers to believe that these cars are ready for the road the same way a Ford or GM or Chrysler dealership would.

I truly hope that this thread makes it around the World and everyone that has bought a vehicle from BK will inspect it closely or take it to a qualified automotive inspector right away.  

Funny you'd say that. My BK car ownership count (that's contacted me) is up to 6. 4 of those people immediately brought their cars in for a full (paid) inspection. I am waiting to hear back from them.. It's amazing how people like them (and Brian) don't want to come and participate,but have said they'd "do anything they can to help". Oh well, I guess everyone helps in their own way. In the meantime, these people have given statements in writing to my lawyer, and once the inspections are done there will be more evidence. If a class action lawsuit goes off like we're talking about, BK will be no longer. Will this stop them from re-opening under a new name? There's no way to stop that.. But I can promise you I will follow them into the gates of Hell if that's what it takes.

And you are right, what they did truly was CRIMINAL.

hemi-hampton

Some people just dont want to rock the boat & keep a low profile under the radar. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 13, 2008, 04:41:44 PM
Some people just dont want to rock the boat & keep a low profile under the radar. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Brian has been very helpful, even though he won't come here..

jerry

with all the 69 chargers out there why would someone spend another fortune  fixing this patched up rust bucket? :popcrn:just curious

jb666

Jerry, you obviously didn't read the whole thread.

Most of this wasn't discovered until it was too late to turn back.