News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Hogs Go

Yeah, I know, the exhaust is beautiful. I later learned this was subbed out.

As for the motor, yes, it's a crate 472. I've been told, on more then one occasion, that this motor arrived at BK from "the builder" with the wrong oil pan, so they swapped it (and the pickup). Brian had mentioned once that it had a cam, but there is NO PROOF that this motor has been apart, so I think it's a "bone stock" crate motor, as Chrysler built it. Until it's dyno'd, I can't verify either way.

I don't understand the "cam" part. The 472 already comes with a cam that is way too aggressive for the valvetrain MP provides with the engine. We had to put a smaller cam in my 472 crate to correct the geometry and keep the lifters from wearing out the valvestems prematurely. The picture of your Hemi in the crate shows it also has the correct oil pan from MP.
Go Hogs!

jb666

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on December 23, 2008, 04:40:51 PM
Yeah, I know, the exhaust is beautiful. I later learned this was subbed out.

As for the motor, yes, it's a crate 472. I've been told, on more then one occasion, that this motor arrived at BK from "the builder" with the wrong oil pan, so they swapped it (and the pickup). Brian had mentioned once that it had a cam, but there is NO PROOF that this motor has been apart, so I think it's a "bone stock" crate motor, as Chrysler built it. Until it's dyno'd, I can't verify either way.

I don't understand the "cam" part. The 472 already comes with a cam that is way too aggressive for the valvetrain MP provides with the engine. We had to put a smaller cam in my 472 crate to correct the geometry and keep the lifters from wearing out the valvestems prematurely. The picture of your Hemi in the crate shows it also has the correct oil pan from MP.

That's what I'm saying.. Something's not adding up. The specs on the cam that came in this motor(from Mopar) are pretty impressive, I couldn't imagine putting a BIGGER cam in. All I know is I have ZERO vacuum and have had clearance issues.

Go Hogs Go

I went down to a .512 lift cam and my vacuum and clearance problems went away. That cam is just way to tall for the stock Hemi valvetrain. The lifters push down too far on the valve stem and cause them to open at an angle that wears one side out. It also causes the pushrod to push the backside of the lifter into the valve covers. My engine was way more fun to drive with the smaller cam. The power started coming on at 1600 and built from there. The power didn't really start on the MP cam until about 2,400 and you had to keep it above 3,000 rpm to stay in the meat of the power band. 
Go Hogs!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on December 23, 2008, 05:00:23 PM
The lifters push down too far on the valve stem and cause them to open at an angle that wears one side out. It also causes the pushrod to push the backside of the lifter into the valve covers.

That would explain my pass. side baffle coming loose and getting chewed up.  :eek2:

Ghoste

Given the reputation of the Mopar Performance crate Hemi's for quality, I'd check it over whether BK touched it or not.

General_01

Well, for you to be told the tranny had a "high end rebuild" is very telling. We already know their definition of a "high end restoration". :eyes:

As far as the engine goes, it sounds like BK had nothing to do with building the motor. That is the good news. The bad news it that it makes it a tough call whether to check it over or wait another season.

Is there a warranty on the crate motor? I have never dealt with a crate engine so I apologize if it is a stupid question. I am just thinking that if there is a warranty, it might be worth waiting until next fall or winter to pull it. If something happens while it is under warranty you would be alright. Even if nothing happens, you can still pull it. Just trying to lighten the load on your wallet right now.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

all right.. First.. Does this look like a tranny pan with 40 miles on it??

Second, check out these converter bolts.. Something look a bit odd considering it's a 472 Hemi bolted up to the tranny??

On the left, the bolts that were removed from my converter. On the right are the bolts that should have been installed.

Maybe this will help...

I wonder how long those would have lasted...  ::)

A little goodie sitting in the corner of Jon's shop...

A very nicely built Hemi!!

And hey, at least it's looking like a car again!!

General_01

Now when you say flywheel bolt, are you sure you don't mean the converter bolts? The one on the left looks like a converter bolt that bolts the flex plate to the converter. The one on the right looks like an actual flywheel bolt in that it bolts the flywheel to the crank.

And that looks like quite a bit of metal on a 40 mile frshly rebuilt tranny. :scratchchin:

And is it just me or does it look like there is rust developing in the bottom of the tranny pan?

Quarters are looking nice. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on December 23, 2008, 11:33:02 PM
Now when you say flywheel bolt, are you sure you don't mean the converter bolts? The one on the left looks like a converter bolt that bolts the flex plate to the converter. The one on the right looks like an actual flywheel bolt in that it bolts the flywheel to the crank.

And that looks like quite a bit of metal on a 40 mile frshly rebuilt tranny. :scratchchin:

And is it just me or does it look like there is rust developing in the bottom of the tranny pan?

Quarters are looking nice. :2thumbs:

You are absolutely correct.. My brain is fried and I should have gone to bed a long time ago.. This thing just has me sick  :brickwall:

and yes, the bottom of the pan doesn't look too healthy. Not that it makes any difference now, but this pan isn't going back on the tranny once it's back.

Stanleyart

JB:

First, you have my respect for maintaining your (public) composure through all that you've gone through with your Charger. Kudos, bruddah.

Second, you are much man to be so transparent about the purchase, and for publicly revealing all that's been wrong with the car. I think that many of us would have privately had our nervous breakdown and gone on our way. Your revelation will benefit many who read your story for years to come.

Third, you acknowledged the problems with the car, but like a seasoned administrator you lined up the right people who could fix it and got on it. WOW! :o

Forth, you are amazingly tenacious. You could have counted the car a loss and started over, but your didn't. (Plus you're not one to be Svengali'd into believing the builder's outrageous semantics. What was and wasn't done to your Charger is so obvious.)

For what it's worth, and not that you need it, you have my support.

Regards,

-Steve
www.stanleyart.com
www.cokecar.com

jb666

Steve, thank you!

Between you and the other members here I can honestly say it's the only thing keeping me glued together.. Other then that I might have lost it a while ago..  :cheers: :cheers:

I know that when this car is done it'll be amazing, it's just the road TO that point that's driving me a bit insane.

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on December 23, 2008, 11:33:02 PM

I wanted to clarify that the bolt on the right is just for comparison purposes only.. the bolts that were  in there are 5/16 and the good ones are 7/16, the flexplate is a B&M which is a good piece (imagine that???)

jb666

UPDATE. I am in negotiations with BK Auto right now, and after days and days of going back and forth with pictures, it appears that a figure has been reached that we can both agree on.

I will keep you posted if this is finalized.  :popcrn:

Also, I just left Jon's shop.. He's really going to town on the electrical system. What a horror show. He really is transforming this car in every way possible!! Now we're talking about my options with blowers.. That'll be some time in 2009, but this project set me back a lot more then I thought it would have, so the timing's off.

WingCharger

You should use a under hood belt driven supercharger instead of a blower!!
Keep the real General Lee look. :yesnod: :yesnod:

thesuperchargerstore.com

skip68

:o   Ummmmmm,  :scratchchin:  I don't want things that I'm doing to become a problem for you and BK and working out a deal.  :rotz:  So, Let me know what you want me to do Jeff.  :2thumbs:   Chuck...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Quote from: WingCharger on December 24, 2008, 02:55:11 PM
You should use a under hood belt driven supercharger instead of a blower!!
Keep the real General Lee look. :yesnod: :yesnod:

thesuperchargerstore.com

That's actually what we were talking about.. I want to keep the look as close to The General on the outside... Which would mean nothing sticking through the hood.

hemi-hampton

How'd it set you back alot more then you thought, I thought you said it was getting fixed for a whole lot cheaper then anybody thinks & thought the price was all set ahead of time :scratchchin: LEON.

Mike DC

If it was mine, I wouldn't put a blower on a big block motor with less than 500-550" already. 

Displacement is easy reliable power with ideal powerband characteristics, so I wouldn't look into anything else until that avenue is already pretty maxed out.  (The one real downside to more cubic inches is gas mileage.  But if you really have any concern about MPG on a 426-based carb'd Hemi then there's something wrong with you.)

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 24, 2008, 04:12:56 PM
How'd it set you back alot more then you thought, I thought you said it was getting fixed for a whole lot cheaper then anybody thinks & thought the price was all set ahead of time :scratchchin: LEON.

That was quite a while ago.. Since then, every time Jon gets into another area it's a can of worms.. Obviously "new" repairs were not in my budget.

Let's say you're doing some home repairs and you'd budgeted $1500, but once you open your walls up you find rotted studs and bad electrical? That would put your project out of your original budget.. That's exactly what happened here.. We thought it would be a simple job, rear frame rails, a patch here and there, and maybe quarters...  :brickwall:

jb666

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 24, 2008, 04:24:02 PM
If it was mine, I wouldn't put a blower on a big block motor with less than 500-550" already. 

Displacement is easy reliable power with ideal powerband characteristics, so I wouldn't look into anything else until that avenue is already pretty maxed out.  (The one real downside to more cubic inches is gas mileage.  But if you really have any concern about MPG on a 426-based carb'd Hemi then there's something wrong with you.)

:rofl: SO TRUE!!

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I know, I was being Sarcastic, Just had a flashback of when you said it was or will be costing much less then anybody thought, When I read that I laughed to myself & said lets see if he's saying that in a few weeks :scratchchin: LEON.

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 24, 2008, 04:33:42 PM
Yeah, I know, I was being Sarcastic, Just had a flashback of when you said it was or will be costing much less then anybody thought, When I read that I laughed to myself & said lets see if he's saying that in a few weeks :scratchchin: LEON.

Oh, quite the opposite..  I had NO IDEA what some of this stuff would cost.. And I was blind to the fact that it would be a "quick job".  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Well, Your doing or that Jon is doing a good job, keep it up.  :2thumbs: LEON.

WingCharger

Blowers work best at compressions of 8 or 9:1.

Above that, they don't even make kits for them. :rotz: