News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Hogs Go

Go Hogs!

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on December 26, 2008, 10:42:13 AM
Guys, I appreciate the support here, and definitely the emotion (  :flame: ) that this forum displays on the subject, but I don't want this to break into a fight..

I can see both sides of the story. I DO NOT agree that Brian should get anything, because of the fact that he's refused to come out and help through this whole thing. He could have made a big difference and he also could have seen some of his own $ back.

As for the offer that was made to me, IT WILL NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to covering my expenses on this rebuild.

I haven't made any decisions.. But I most certainly know what my heart's telling me to do!!  :flame:

Following your emotions and not using your head is why you are in the spot you are in. Don't make the same mistake. this Brian guy screwed you as far as I can see with what I've read. Legally, he is the one to sue, you bought it from him. But if you can get something out of BK go for it. You are lucky.

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on December 26, 2008, 03:07:20 PM
Quote from: jb666 on December 26, 2008, 10:42:13 AM
Guys, I appreciate the support here, and definitely the emotion (  :flame: ) that this forum displays on the subject, but I don't want this to break into a fight..

I can see both sides of the story. I DO NOT agree that Brian should get anything, because of the fact that he's refused to come out and help through this whole thing. He could have made a big difference and he also could have seen some of his own $ back.

As for the offer that was made to me, IT WILL NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to covering my expenses on this rebuild.

I haven't made any decisions.. But I most certainly know what my heart's telling me to do!!  :flame:

Following your emotions and not using your head is why you are in the spot you are in. Don't make the same mistake. this Brian guy screwed you as far as I can see with what I've read. Legally, he is the one to sue, you bought it from him. But if you can get something out of BK go for it. You are lucky.

Thanks, Cap'n!  :lol: I know why we're here.. That's also why I'm not jumping to any quick decisions (this time). I try to learn from my mistakes.

jb666

And guys, I don't want you to think I'm just "dropping" this with Brian. His disappearance and lack of (offered) help really pisses me off. Not only did I not go for his throat, but he sat here and read this thread long before I went out to him..  Some people have no conscience. If I sold someone this car and read about all of this , sure, I'd panic, but I'd also contact the person and offer to help out. ALL Brian offered me was a story and a bunch of receipts, and then continued to tell me that he was changing his email and home phone # because he was being harassed by members here. I don't think so...

Here's the email I got from Brian right before I went down and picked the car up:

----- Original Message -----
To: JB666@comcast.net
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: General

A lot of time and material charges went into this car and they add up very fast.  I've got well over $70k in the car and was willing to let it go for $**. Don't want to sell it , but I have to do what I have to do.
I want  you to understand this car is not a perfect # 1 trailer queen kind of car.  One reason is because there  are very few reproduction parts made for Mopar B bodies and sometimes you have to use what you have.  I want to be  honest and let you know the car has a few minor flaws, but nothing major or seriousMost people wouldn't notice.  Too be honest yesterday was the first time I've driven it since I've had it. I drove it around the block when the guy took it out of the trailer when it first got here and that was it.  Yesterday I took it to the gas station because it was almost out of gas when it got here. Car is very nice and gets ood and awwed over by everyone that has seen it.  It drew a crowed at the gas station and about five people took pictures of it with their camera phones.  A Maryland state trooper ask if he could park his police car behind it and take some pictures of it with  him and his police car in them for his boys.  He said they are nine and twelve and DOH is their favorite show. They watch it on DVD all the time.
The car drove nice and rode fine. I took it easy and didn't get on it hard or anything, sounds good going down the road.  I wanted to trailer it to Dukesfest the last weekend in June, but unfortunately it didn't get here in time like promised and we went with out it.  Out of all the Generals that showed up very few looked as nice as this car. Out of 120 cars I'd say only five or six looked as good or better than this one and only one other had a Hemi. It was a little new 5.7 small block conversion job.
Thanks for your interest,
Brian

I'd consider what's happening now to be more then "minor flaws". But, he claims he was only telling me what BK told him.  :brickwall:

Ghoste

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on December 26, 2008, 04:33:08 PM
This tale sure has turned onto a twisty road.
Yeah, it did the day I took it home.

I just wish people could be honest and stand-up.. If they were, this wouldn't be happening. What I really believe is that Brian had no clue what he was looking at. In fact I'd be shocked to learn he ever crawled under the car. He claimed that when he knew I was on my way down he walked around the car "tightening things up" and snapped the terminal off the starter..  Mechanically inclined he is not.

Bottom line here is that the build sucked. Brian had grounds, but chose not to stand them. **** rolls down hill, and I was there.

hemi-hampton

I guess you could call this a expensive learning experience for some, on what to do & not to do :scratchchin: :shruggy:

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 26, 2008, 06:17:41 PM
I guess you could call this a expensive learning experience for some, on what to do & not to do :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Oh that's for sure!!!  :cheers: :cheers:

General_01

As far as I am concerned, Brian can say all he wants about "What BK told him". The car was in his possession and he should have checked it out before telling anyone else what was in the car. What he did is no different than a flipper buying a car that was supposed to have a 440 in it, but when it got to his place it had a 318. Insead of going back to the guy he bought it from, he turns around and sells it advertising a 440 because "That is what the guy I bought it from said it was."

And "minor flaws".  :smilielol:

And only 5 or 6 cars at Dukesfest "looked better". I bet all of them were better mechanically speaking though. I guess if someone shined up a turd Brian would put it on his mantle because it is a "piece of art".
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

hemi-hampton

I wouldn't call Brian a flipper if he pays $70k+ & turns around & flips for half that, $35k. I thought the flippers worked the opposite way where they buy for $35k & sell for $70k :shruggy:

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 26, 2008, 07:19:22 PM
I wouldn't call Brian a flipper if he pays $70k+ & turns around & flips for half that, $35k. I thought the flippers worked the opposite way where they buy for $35k & sell for $70k :shruggy:

I wouldn't call him a flipper either, in that sense.. Maybe a "deleter"?? He deleted a lot of "minor flaws" from his list  :rofl:

General_01

I didn't say he was a flipper. I said what he did is no different than the example given. Instead of going back to the person they got the car from to solve the problem, they pass it off to the next buyer and claim ignorance.
496 stroker
4-speed

hemi-hampton

Thats possible, What was his reason for selling or how could you justify just buying for $70k+ & then reselling for $35k? You'd have to justify somehow unless He never said or mentioned He paid $70k+ until later after sale. Only thing that would make sense to me to justify the loss is say Hey, I paid $70k for this heap & got ripped off & paid to much, I dont think the heap is worth anymore then $35k & if you want it it yours. Buyer looks it over to determine if he thinks the heap is worth the $35k before handing over cash. Apparently that never happened. Even if Brian said it was a mint showcar & you look at it in person, disagree with him but still buy it, then who's fault is that :shruggy:

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 26, 2008, 07:35:31 PM
Thats possible, What was his reason for selling or how could you justify just buying for $70k+ & then reselling for $35k? You'd have to justify somehow unless He never said or mentioned He paid $70k+ until later after sale. Only thing that would make sense to me to justify the loss is say Hey, I paid $70k for this heap & got ripped off & paid to much, I dont think the heap is worth anymore then $35k & if you want it it yours. Buyer looks it over to determine if he thinks the heap is worth the $35k before handing over cash. Apparently that never happened. Even if Brian said it was a mint showcar & you look at it in person, disagree with him but still buy it, then who's fault is that :shruggy:

Well, in some of his for sale ads, he started high and worked his way down over the weeks.. Weeks before he even HAD the car.

General_01

If you read the email to Jeff, Brian states that he has 70K+ into the car. This was before Jeff went to get the car. He did not say it was a heap. He said it was not a trailer queen and there were some minor flaws and he drove it to the gas station and it drove great. He makes it sound like he is dropping the price because he needs to get some cash quick, not because it isn't worth the 70K.
496 stroker
4-speed

Troy

He probably needed cash to get BK to release the car before he put a lien on it. There are hundreds of stories of projects gone astray - so far that they have to be sold when finished because the owner is buried in debt. I had one of my cars in a body shop once and a guy there had $32k into the body/paint on a Plain Jane '70 Camaro and also a $12k 454 built for it. There's no way on earth he could sell it as a project when drivable cars were selling locally for $15k. At least once he got it finished he could hope for someone who wanted a show car and maybe give him half of what he had in it.

There have been times where I've been close to dumping my cars for any offer I could get just so I could pay bills. It happens. I'm sure there are people here who would consider that irresponsible but I'll choose to ignore their opinions. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jb666 on December 26, 2008, 04:28:48 PM
One reason is because there are very few reproduction parts made for Mopar B bodies and sometimes you have to use what you have. 

:scratchchin: Um, what? :scratchchin:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jb666

Quote from: Troy on December 26, 2008, 07:51:09 PM
He probably needed cash to get BK to release the car before he put a lien on it.

He referenced that fact several times. Not to actually take delivery of the car, but he said there were times they threatened to lien the car if he didn't send a check.

skip68

:popcrn:   So has Brian been here lately?   :shruggy:   I know at this point it really doesn't matter what he knew or didn't know and we can go on guessing forever.  :yesnod:  But, it sure would be nice to have him fill some of the blanks.   :yesnod: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on December 26, 2008, 08:11:15 PM
:popcrn:   So has Brian been here lately?   :shruggy:   I know at this point it really doesn't matter what he knew or didn't know and we can go on guessing forever.  :yesnod:  But, it sure would be nice to have him fill some of the blanks.   :yesnod: 

It would be REALLY nice, and no he hasn't been around lately...He's been lurking, but not posting.

hemi-hampton

Somehow I missed that Jeffs e-mail or Brians email response. :shruggy: Sorry. Guess I spoke out of line :shruggy: He should of never had the car built if he did not have enough funds. :scratchchin: LEON.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

hemi-hampton

Yes, I've seen many Brians & BK's & worked for many BK's for past 25 years. all this is nothing new to me. I know exactly whats going on but playing dumb. LEON.

skip68

:2thumbs: Cool.  Then I have to ask you since you've seen the pictures of the work that was done to the car and we pretty much know the damage.  What would you say would be a ballpark guess as to how much money it would take to do the same work (minus the engine) that BK did?    :shruggy:  Thank's,   Chuck...........

hemi-hampton

I've done 2 similar cars recently needing or having done more bodywork (replaced rear frame rails, trunk, trunk extensions, wheel wells, 1/4's, custom fabricated inner rockers, ect, ect) to them for $25k & $35k. :scratchchin: LEON.