News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teamroth

I see that they are located in Bay Shore Long Island. Where are you JB?
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

jb666

Quote from: teamroth on December 31, 2008, 03:21:04 PM
I'm about 15 minutes south of Boston. They are shipping it to me. I was just in NY yesterday, but no where near there.

Skip -- That's what I'm counting on! The car is DEFINITELY in the right hands for that!!

skip68

:2thumbs:  I'm glad you're counting on me riding behind the wheel.  I can't fly in a plane to get to you so let me know when the car is about 3-4 days from being done so I can start driving out there.   :2thumbs:   :icon_smile_big: :rofl: :smilielol:   Chuck.......... :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

Quote from: jb666 on December 27, 2008, 03:29:20 PM

I'm by no means an attorney, But like Skip68 said, "there is the key words that will hang them."

QuoteThe work to be performed is as follows: acquire the vehicle(s) for conversion, restore the base vehicle(s) to original body condition

I believe that since these cars are all unibody and since "Original Body Condition" was established at the point it came off of the assembly line, that everything with the exception of the drive train, bumpers and front suspension would fall under the contract that they bound themself to. Frame rails and anything else actually welded to the main body should fall under that portion of their agreement.

Any lawyer worth his salt should be able to make that stand up in front of any judge.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

teamroth

Quote from: jb666 on December 31, 2008, 03:22:40 PM
I'm about 15 minutes south of Boston. They are shipping it to me. I was just in NY yesterday, but no where near there.

Skip -- That's what I'm counting on! The car is DEFINITELY in the right hands for that!!

JB, let me know if you ever drive down this way! Or if I make it to Boston, I would love to see the car.

Thad
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Mopar2Ya

$1000 isn't abnormal for a 727 rebuild. CopeRacing, A&A, & others are all near that amount. I'm willing to guess a $600 department store trans doesn't equal a $1000 pro built trans. The $1000 trans usually handles around 200 more hp's. Cope also deals w/PTC. JMO.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

jb666

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on December 31, 2008, 04:46:32 PM
$1000 isn't abnormal for a 727 rebuild. CopeRacing, A&A, & others are all near that amount. I'm willing to guess a $600 department store trans doesn't equal a $1000 pro built trans. The $1000 trans usually handles around 200 more hp's. Cope also deals w/PTC. JMO.

That's exactly it. Could an out of box transmission handle this? (this is Jon's car)

http://media.putfile.com/819

http://media.putfile.com/broken-wheelie-bar-pin-on-launch

http://media.putfile.com/may-28-2006-98

I'm not saying I'll be out there running an 8 second 1/4 mile.. I think I'd have to be towed down the track by a jet, but the fact that this exact car's been running 2 seasons with one of these trannies shows me the quality's there.

jb666

Quote from: teamroth on December 31, 2008, 04:27:46 PM

JB, let me know if you ever drive down this way! Or if I make it to Boston, I would love to see the car.

Thad

Thad, count on it. If you're ever in my area, I'll make sure I'm around!

IF there's a Dukefest this year we've been talking about going..

bogus

The 727 is a pretty stout transmission. On a par with the GM TH400 and the Ford C6. It doesn't take much to get those boxes to take some abuse... We are not talking the 700R4 here!
Gearhead extraordinaire. :)

Ghoste

On a par?  Back in the day when they were new designs the 727 was THE automatic transmission and it was the one the GM and Ford trannys did their best to emulate.  It seems funny now but through the 60's there were a lot of kits out there to install a 727 behind your Ford or Chevy.  Magazines now would have us believe the Torqueflite was just an ugly stepsister instead of the belle of the ball.
In fact, as recently as a few years ago there was a rumor going around that a bunch of Ford Stock Eliminator drivers were caught using Torqueflite guts inside Ford cases.  I don't know if its true or even possible but I think even as rumor it underscores my point that we aren't on a par, we raised the bar.

Cozmo

Quote from: jb666 on January 01, 2009, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: teamroth on December 31, 2008, 04:27:46 PM

Thad

Thad, count on it. If you're ever in my area, I'll make sure I'm around!

IF there's a Dukefest this year we've been talking about going..

Hey, I'll meet ya there. We can dress as Bo and Luke and Mrs. JB can dress as Daisy!  :coolgleamA:

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on January 01, 2009, 07:16:06 PM
On a par?  Back in the day when they were new designs the 727 was THE automatic transmission and it was the one the GM and Ford trannys did their best to emulate.  It seems funny now but through the 60's there were a lot of kits out there to install a 727 behind your Ford or Chevy.  Magazines now would have us believe the Torqueflite was just an ugly stepsister instead of the belle of the ball.
In fact, as recently as a few years ago there was a rumor going around that a bunch of Ford Stock Eliminator drivers were caught using Torqueflite guts inside Ford cases.  I don't know if its true or even possible but I think even as rumor it underscores my point that we aren't on a par, we raised the bar.

One thing that surprised me was the physical length of the 727. It's a big transmission!!

I'm hoping to stop at the shop today or tomorrow. Most of the electric has been completed. I realize it's a 40 year old car, but the point here is that the car was stripped to a bare shell, so this wiring was either put back IN the car or rewired this way.. What a mess. :brickwall:

jb666

Welp, as of today the transmission hasn't made it back to Jon's shop -- We kind of figured with the holidays it would be Monday.

But, I got an update today, and found out my battery cables are all done, the MSD is wired and everything under the hood is finished up. He's been going to town.

This ought to be a good week! All the new fuel tank/filler neck gaskets will be here. The tranny will be here. The torque converter will be here..

The car might actually be RUNNING soon, and right after that off to the paint shop!!!  :cheers: :cheers:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Quote from: tan top on January 03, 2009, 02:26:49 PM
:coolgleamA:   sounds good  :yesnod:   any picture updates  :popcrn: 

Not yet. I'm hoping to stop by the shop later this afternoon. Stay tuned.

69grad

ALL I can SAY is that any one that diserves A purple heart,you & your charger do! :flame:

Ghoste

skip68

Keep in mind Jeff this is a General Lee,  :yesnod:  so don't go overboard on paint.  :rotz:  It will get touched, leaned on and maybe even someone sitting on a fender for a picture. :rotz:   I had my car at an event at my daughters school and a guy put his baby on my hood for a picture.   :-\  Do you have a shade of orange picked out yet? 

mikepmcs

Big Bad Orange or Corvette Flame red are both good choices. :yesnod:

Don't use Vitamin C, it's too light.

http://www.generalleefanclub.com/build/paincode.html
There's a mixture supposedly off one of the 17 cars.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

I'm going with what it is now, "Corvette Flame Red".  :yesnod:

It's funny, I already have the code/year/paint name. When BK gave Brian a quart of this paint they wrote on the outside of the can:

1968 Corvette Red Orange gs40

Wrong year. Wrong name. Wrong code.

They even messed up the PAINT CAN  :rofl:

jb666

Yes, we made it!!!!!  Google "BK Auto General Lee", as if you were looking to buy one and heard their name..

There we are, right under their web site!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bk+auto+general+lee&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

While there, I clicked on Bk's first link, where they were building a General.. Check this out, the kid welding looks like he's about 11. This cracks me up too, cause it probably took him longer to lay the plastic down then it would have to snap the back seat out  :hah:

And this is just an incredible build on this bar  :o

The finished/painted product came out really nice  :eek2:

WingCharger

jb666

Quote from: WingCharger on January 04, 2009, 12:26:28 PM
Saw you changed the title. :cheers:
Now all will know! :D

I have no idea what you're talking about..

A buddy of mine just emailed me out of the blue.. He was not just here, either!!!

Subject: Google

Freiburger's Junkyard : News : Update 1: The Hack-Job General Lee ...
Jan 2, 2009 ... Back on December 15th we reported on a General Lee Charger that had been ... [ img]http://www.bkauto.net/media/images/glg160.gif[/img] ...
freiburgersjunkyard.com/blog/Update-1-The-Hack-Job-General-Lee.html - Similar pages

Untitled Document
If you find yourself on this page, because of your interest in a General Lee replica or just from browsing, I hope you'll take the time to read everything ...
www.bkauto.net/GL121.htm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Anyone looking to buy a General Lee, STAY AWAY FROM...
http://www.bkauto.net/GL119.htm. Now, based on this web page, one would assume a top notch job .... Re: Anyone looking to buy a General Lee, STAY AWAY FROM

So yeah, I'd say it's out there all right..

Ghoste

Now some of the crappy welding has been explained.  BK was just a little mixed up when they posted.  It wasn't that their welder had graduated from Wyotech, it was that someday their welder hoped he would graduate from high school and that maybe he could enroll at Wyotech.  An easy mistake and stupid of us not to understand what BK really meant.  Thankfully for all the certified Wyotech grads this has now been rectified.  :icon_smile_big: