News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

"..just FYI stuff."

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Good thing he was looking out for your well being. :eyes:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

skip68

:o To BK:   Do you really want to start quoting the law?   :rotz:  :smilielol:  Then this should be easy for you to put a stop to this whole ordeal.  If you truly know the laws then you know how easy and quick it would be to have put this to rest long ago don't you.?   I guess you don't understand contract laws as good as you should.  Again, I am shocked at how far you have allowed this to go.  :rotz:  I'm not on his side but it is very disappointing to see.   :rotz:   I think that he BK is in over his head and getting very poor advice if any at all.  :rotz:   I think that he needs help on how to deal with this.  The other thing that bothers me is that BK keeps forgetting that it was his shop that provided this so called (in his own words) "crappy car"   :rotz:  I really think he needs help and that is in a way a sad thing.    :rotz:  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

:o   Holy hell, Thank's for posting that shot of the tags.  I just caught that.   :2thumbs:   Custom constructed vehicle---Hand assembled.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   Those are just the words I was looking for a while back.  :2thumbs:   Jeff, send me that picture of the tags to my email please.  That is just what I need for T-DOT and they need.   :woohoo:  Now the car is no longer an antique or a classic,  IT IS A CUSTOM BUILD AND NOT PROTECTED BY THE ANTIQUE/CLASSIC LAWS.    :2thumbs:  Thank you BK for the information.  :2thumbs:  I will be on it first thing in the morning.   :2thumbs:   :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Chuck -- I'll send the original hi-res photo to you today. It's funny you'd ask, someone else emailed me earlier this past weekend and asked for that too!

Obi-Wan

JB..........'Nirvana' here.

I cant believe all this crap.  I know its beating a dead horse when said, but for 70K, I'd expect one of the best damned GL's ever made.  Crap, you can buy a series car for 70K, I know of one for that price.

I dont know SickDawg other than his posts at CGLFC, but the dealings with BK would have thrown up a red flag MONTHS, if not YEARS ago.  I want to say quite a few months back, he was tired of Dukes and tired of the GL bashers and critics, and wanted to paint his car black again.  I could be wrong, but I was under the impression he was saying he's had it for quite a while.  Dont take that as gospel, it was just a thought.

The universe usually has some sort of f****d up way of sorting itself out, and I'm sure you will be happy in the end.  It just sucks that this happened to you.

Hell, this even makes the Luedtke's look legit :eek2:

Thanks for keeping this subject alive. 

jb666

Quote from: Obi-Wan on January 13, 2009, 09:49:53 AM
JB..........'Nirvana' here.

I cant believe all this crap.  I know its beating a dead horse when said, but for 70K, I'd expect one of the best damned GL's ever made.  Crap, you can buy a series car for 70K, I know of one for that price.

I dont know SickDawg other than his posts at CGLFC, but the dealings with BK would have thrown up a red flag MONTHS, if not YEARS ago.  I want to say quite a few months back, he was tired of Dukes and tired of the GL bashers and critics, and wanted to paint his car black again.  I could be wrong, but I was under the impression he was saying he's had it for quite a while.  Dont take that as gospel, it was just a thought.

The universe usually has some sort of f****d up way of sorting itself out, and I'm sure you will be happy in the end.  It just sucks that this happened to you.

Hell, this even makes the Luedtke's look legit :eek2:

Thanks for keeping this subject alive. 

Who knows what to believe with him, but I do know one thing (at least the facts align with this) that he only had the car (in his garage/possession) for 2 weeks before I bought it.  Brian is obsessed with the Dukes -- There's stuff all over his house/garage, and his dog is named Daisy. He's been to Duke's fests and is a die-hard fan, so I don't see him caving in to the critics of the show/car..

Either way, it's a raw deal. I think he knew more then he let on, and he knew that BK was a spawn of HLPAG. If he didn't know when it was getting built, he sure learned that when the car got home.

One thing I agree with you guys on -- If you were spending $70k+ on a car wouldn't you have spent $200 on a plane ticket and flown out to check out your vehicle BEFORE investing huge $$ into it??

skip68

General_01

All I know is that if he was into the Dukes as much as you say he was and he had this kind of cash to throw at it and he was going to do it long distance, he should have went with the Smith Bros. or Professor Patrick. A "General Lee" search would have brought him to a few Dukes boards and General Lee boards and he could have gotten opinions and those two places are the ones I hear mentioned on the board all the time with nothing but good comments. I wonder if he even asked anyone about it? :shruggy:

Also, if I was planning to even drop 25K-30K into a car by a builder, I would at least fly out and meet them face to face and check out their shop in person. You can tell a lot when you meet someone in person. Plus, you take away your faceless name on the car. Usually it is harder for someone to screw you over if they meet you face to face. I am not saying they won't, but it is harder. Also, it puts them on notice that you are not afraid to pop in any time unannounced. I bet if Brian would have done that, either the car would have been built right or BK would have nixed the deal knowing he couldn't build it the way it was without being discovered until the car was delivered.

P.S.-I was one of the guys that steered you towards that car. The pics sure made it LOOK nice.

496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Chuck -- I got your PM and will send you the information requested. It DID go out before, but I never received confirmation from them.

As for Brian -- I have no idea what his angle is and what his motivation was. He's either in on it or he's one of the biggest idiots on the planet. Sending $70k in and never seeing what was being done is crazy. All of the emails BK sent Brian had TINY pictures attached to them showing the "work" that was being done. They were the size of my avatar inside an email.

I've seen the outside of BK (I have a friend that lives 15 minutes from there). The place looks like a junkyard. There's more rotting carcasses out there than any boneyard I've been to.

skip68

:2thumbs:  I've got a few things to do and I'll get back on it.  :2thumbs:   Like General_01, I too had said a few things on that car (reply 74 I think) in the other thread and wish I could take my words back.  :rotz:   Chuck.............

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on January 13, 2009, 11:32:48 AM
:2thumbs:  I've got a few things to do and I'll get back on it.  :2thumbs:   Like General_01, I too had said a few things on that car (reply 74 I think) in the other thread and wish I could take my words back.  :rotz:   Chuck.............

It's no big deal now. I look at it all as water under the bridge.. The car looked great in pictures. They knew what they were doing.. The right angles, the right light, the right SIZE. I knew something was up as soon as I started digging and couldn't find ONE full sized picture of the car being restored.. BK claimed they did that to save space on the server.. Yeah, OK..

It's funny, but when I was first looking into this car I kept telling myself "Wow, if so many die-hard Mopar guys say this car is good it must be an awesome ride", but in the end I'm the one that drove 12 hours to get it..  I know I'd have been really pissed driving home without the car and some other poor sap would be posting about the toilet they bought, but that wouldn't make it right.....

Stanleyart

Quote from: General_01 on January 13, 2009, 11:03:32 AM
All I know is that if he was into the Dukes as much as you say he was and he had this kind of cash to throw at it and he was going to do it long distance, he should have went with the Smith Bros. or Professor Patrick. A "General Lee" search would have brought him to a few Dukes boards and General Lee boards and he could have gotten opinions and those two places are the ones I hear mentioned on the board all the time with nothing but good comments. I wonder if he even asked anyone about it? :shruggy:

Also, if I was planning to even drop 25K-30K into a car by a builder, I would at least fly out and meet them face to face and check out their shop in person. You can tell a lot when you meet someone in person. Plus, you take away your faceless name on the car. Usually it is harder for someone to screw you over if they meet you face to face. I am not saying they won't, but it is harder. Also, it puts them on notice that you are not afraid to pop in any time unannounced. I bet if Brian would have done that, either the car would have been built right or BK would have nixed the deal knowing he couldn't build it the way it was without being discovered until the car was delivered.

P.S.-I was one of the guys that steered you towards that car. The pics sure made it LOOK nice.

Here are some excellent points. On CGLFC, Scott Romine has advertised both the Smith Brothers (since nearly the beginning of the site) and Pro. Patrick for, gosh 3+ years (?).

As many of you know, both restoration teams have *impressive* and easy to follow portfolios, filled with detailed photos, showing disassembly and reconstruction. Their reputations are above question and you can see their completed cars first-hand at typically any Duke event. And their building prices are listed. (At least now, maybe not back then.)

One would wonder why the restoration wasn't handled by either of these greats is questionable. Maybe the location of the shops? I don't know.

skip68

General_01

496 stroker
4-speed

skip68

General_01

Professor Patrick does not list prices on his site that I can find, but here is his website:

http://www.scotleaidolrods.com/
496 stroker
4-speed

jb666

Quote from: General_01 on January 13, 2009, 12:10:14 PM
Here is the Smith Bros.

http://www.smithbrosrestorations.com/general_pricing.php

So for what BK charged for this job he could have had a REAL car built from a reputable company.  How frustrating is that... I've seen Smith Bros work too...  :cheers: :cheers:

dstryr

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3164804#guestbook

I complemented him on his work but my comment disappeared.  You can VOTE on his ride, give him as many as just one star depending on how much you like his work, and even submit him for 'showoff'.

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

moparstuart

Quote from: dstryr on January 13, 2009, 02:36:19 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3164804#guestbook

I complemented him on his work but my comment disappeared.  You can VOTE on his ride, give him as many as just one star depending on how much you like his work, and even submit him for 'showoff'.   
Now we know where all the 70k and other customers money goes , look at that hemi
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Cooperman

From BK's Cardomain page...

Quote"...More information about my company can be found at www.bkauto.net and www.blackknightchoppers.net."

Anyone seen any of their Chopper handywork, or are they still newcomers to the scene? Presumably if you're assembling a bike from a pile of new parts, you can't get it wrong...  :scratchchin:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

jb666

Quote from: Cooperman on January 13, 2009, 04:34:20 PM
From BK's Cardomain page...

Quote"...More information about my company can be found at www.bkauto.net and www.blackknightchoppers.net."

Anyone seen any of their Chopper handywork, or are they still newcomers to the scene? Presumably if you're assembling a bike from a pile of new parts, you can't get it wrong...  :scratchchin:

I can only imagine, but no, I haven't seen anything from them in that area, yet.

skip68

Have you found any original blue paint under the orange anywhere?  :shruggy:  A question about the steering column.  Any experts chime in please.  :yesnod:  Since that car was an original column shift car and now the shifter is on the floor, can that be the same column even though it looks different ?  :shruggy:   

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on January 13, 2009, 06:32:51 PM
Have you found any original blue paint under the orange anywhere?  :shruggy:  A question about the steering column.  Any experts chime in please.  :yesnod:  Since that car was an original column shift car and now the shifter is on the floor, can that be the same column even though it looks different ?  :shruggy:   

Yes, we found evidence of blue on certain areas of the car (under the 2" of bondo on the rear quarters). I'll be posting pictures of that mess later on.

As for the column, it was the original column with the guts removed.. Thomas told me that they "do this all the time" and have never had a column end up as sloppy as mine was.. It was missing 1/2 of it's parts inside. Every time I turned the wheel the horn would beep. Every time I touched the brakes the radio would turn on and off. When I'd turn the lights on the volt gauge would shut off.  The entire thing was riddled with electrical gremlins. The funny thing is they said they replaced the harness. They sure did, with any/every pc of wire they could find laying around their shop.

Check this out, taken directly from the BK "contract" that came with this car.

While under construction at the BK Automotive LLC Facilities, mechanics will inspect and go over the safety issues. We will insure brakes, seatbelts, headlights, signal indicators and all modifications work in the way intended and cause no thread to passengers.

:o ::) RIGHT THERE they've got a huge problem with how they shipped this car.. Thomas claims it was never meant for street use?? As Chuck said, above, why did he "road test" the car and bring it up to "80 mph with no problems".

Here's that document... Good stuff.

scatpack69

Quote from: General_01 on January 13, 2009, 12:10:14 PM
Here is the Smith Bros.

http://www.smithbrosrestorations.com/general_pricing.php

At least with the Smith Bros they show where they actually replace sheetmetal. And you can click on a pic and see a fullsize photo.

teamroth

BK is screwed because they agree and commit to these things in their contract. They will hang themselves, not to worry.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.