News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KS71owner

Quote from: jb666 on January 17, 2009, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: skip68 on January 17, 2009, 02:28:37 PM
Decals CAN FIT !  That is an out & out LIE .   :icon_smile_angry:   Those decals are the overlay ones and are harder to install.  You should get the ones from Pheonix Graphics.  :yesnod: :2thumbs:  Mine look great.   :2thumbs:

Well, when the car's repainted I'm having the shop paint the graphics on.. I know there are better quality graphics than this set, but these just look like butt.. TOTAL lack of prep and sloppy work.. Are you surprised?

Agreed on the decals....I cut and apply vinyl for a living, and have done so for over a decade now and I've wrapped tighter curves than a Charger roof. Complete BS. Also need to consider the type of vinyl BK used. The gray backing I'm seeing leads me to believe it may be a cheaper intermediate calendered vinyl rather than a good cast vinyl like the good stuff 3M makes. Calendered vinyl cracks and peels much more quickly, especially in places where wide temperature variation is an issue. The shop I work at only uses cast vinyls, and only stuff made by 3M or equivalent quality. Cast films also shrink less, conform better and hold color longer. They are also easier to remove when they need to be taken off. Judging by the quality of work I've seen thus far from BK though I'm sure the prep work before laying the vinyl was nonexistent.

IMO, I'm not a fan of clearcoating vinyl, mainly for the ease of removing it later if it becomes damaged or when it eventually fades. A good vinyl should last 5-7 years on a car that is garaged, and even if it's always outside it should hold up for close to 5 years. Gloss laminates are available for vinyl that look as good as clearcoat and don't permanently seal the vinyl. I don't know if GLs are supposed to have clearcoated graphics, but if I were planning to clearcoat them I would just have them painted on.  :Twocents:

*steps off soapbox*

Mike DC

GLs didn't have "clearcoated" looking graphics on the TV series, I'll tell you that. 

Most of the ORANGE coats on those cars weren't even fully glossy by modern standards.  The graphics were a combination of spray paint cans, auto body paint, brushed paint, and some decal work.  How much decal work depended on the season. 

jb666

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 17, 2009, 03:55:54 PM

GLs didn't have "clearcoated" looking graphics on the TV series, I'll tell you that. 

Most of the ORANGE coats on those cars weren't even fully glossy by modern standards.  The graphics were a combination of spray paint cans, auto body paint, brushed paint, and some decal work.  How much decal work depended on the season. 

Which is why I don't want a "show finish" on this car, I just want it to look GOOD.

Supposedly Brian "requested" the clear over the decals. At least that's what BK's web page says (during the build). If you saw all of the graphics in person you'd laugh.. There isn't one spot that's not messed up.
Quote from: mikepmcs on January 17, 2009, 02:49:13 PM
Holy crap, I've definitely seen it all now.  I know this was a weird post to actually floor me, but this last decal one just did it.  I cannot believe how bad they look.  Man, that is just terrible. 

What are you and the shop using for measurement information for the painted on set?

Mike

I'm not 100% sure on that yet. Someone on the GL site said there was a template we could buy. Why, do you have a suggestion? I want them to match the SERIES graphics.

jb666

Hopefully this will show up(image). I've run both #'s and they came up clear(my earlier fear is that the car itself was stolen), but I have solid proof now that (guess who) this car had a VIN SWAP, which as you know is a federal offense. I don't care who did it and when it was done, but judging by the fact that this dash was out and these are shiny new rivets, it doesn't take too much thought...

Sorry for the poor quality/space these two pictures take up, but it's the best I had here. It took Jon a lot of work to get at the body #.

And of course, the fender tag, which matches the # on the body but NOT the VIN on the dash..

EDIT - Photos removed for legal reasons.

mikepmcs

Let me do some digging around.  I have some Lee 1 stuff Jimmy Shine gave me and don't know if the DVD's have the measurements in the script when they stripped the 71 car and found the flag underneath.  These DVD's are available to the public so I'm not betraying Jim by offering this information.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 17, 2009, 04:27:30 PM
Let me do some digging around.  I have some Lee 1 stuff Jimmy Shine gave me and don't know if the DVD's have the measurements in the script when they stripped the 71 car and found the flag underneath.  These DVD's are available to the public so I'm not betraying Jim by offering this information.

Great, thank you!!  :cheers: :cheers:

charger01

And things continue to get worse.........Iam assuming your car's title matches the bogus dash plate, but legally which car is it now that the vin swap crime has been committed?   :shruggy:  I feel for you man.  Nobody deserves this.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: jb666 on January 17, 2009, 04:26:12 PM
this car had a VIN SWAP, which as you know is a federal offense. I don't care who did it and when it was done, but judging by the fact that this dash was out and these are shiny new rivets, it doesn't take too much thought...

I've been following this thread for weeks now. Up to this point I haven't chimed in with my  :Twocents:

The VIN swap is the final straw in this deal. The VIN tag has been altered--painted over, no "Chrysler" dry transfer lettering on it. It's obviously been switched-it's hard to tell from the fuzzy pic but at least one of the rivets appears to be just a plain pop rivet painted black.

This, as you know is illegal in all 50 states, and is a federal offense.

Just being in possesion of a car with an altered or switched VIN tag is a BIG no-no.

If you ever get stopped by the law in that thing, you're in BIG trouble.

Unless the cop is BLIND he will impound the car.

I haven't been pulled over for several years, but even when I was driving a crappy old Maverick back in the '70s I can remember the cops checking my VIN tag and the decal in the door jam. They are trained to look for this stuff.

I'd be too paranoid to drive your car jb666 ...EVER!

I would cease all work on this car. Pay the man currently woking on it-he's been doing a good job...

Then I'd sue the living shit out of BK and the guy who sold you this car.

Someone should be going to the slammer for this. :flame:

lastoasis

me thinks it's time to lawyer up

this has "train wreck" written all over it

jb666

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 18, 2009, 08:32:02 AM
Quote from: jb666 on January 17, 2009, 04:26:12 PM
this car had a VIN SWAP, which as you know is a federal offense. I don't care who did it and when it was done, but judging by the fact that this dash was out and these are shiny new rivets, it doesn't take too much thought...

I've been following this thread for weeks now. Up to this point I haven't chimed in with my  :Twocents:

The VIN swap is the final straw in this deal. The VIN tag has been altered--painted over, no "Chrysler" dry transfer lettering on it. It's obviously been switched-it's hard to tell from the fuzzy pic but at least one of the rivets appears to be just a plain pop rivet painted black.

This, as you know is illegal in all 50 states, and is a federal offense.

Just being in possesion of a car with an altered or switched VIN tag is a BIG no-no.

If you ever get stopped by the law in that thing, you're in BIG trouble.

Unless the cop is BLIND he will impound the car.

I haven't been pulled over for several years, but even when I was driving a crappy old Maverick back in the '70s I can remember the cops checking my VIN tag and the decal in the door jam. They are trained to look for this stuff.

I'd be too paranoid to drive your car jb666 ...EVER!

I would cease all work on this car. Pay the man currently woking on it-he's been doing a good job...

Then I'd sue the living shit out of BK and the guy who sold you this car.

Someone should be going to the slammer for this. :flame:

You are right, but......... I talked to a friend of our family who runs an insurance company. He said if it really bothers me, that I can apply for a mass title/vin tag that matches the body #'s, That the State Police would go to the location of the car and inspect it and the state would issue a new vin tag (to be installed by them, also).

I'm looking through the appropriate channels now, and don't you worry, my lawyer (yes, I've had one since day one) already knows. Nothing goes up here without him knowing, and when something comes down (that I've posted) it's because of him.

jb666

Quote from: 426HemiCharger on January 18, 2009, 09:52:52 AM
No Better than HLPAG, huh?

Well I think you are right, sad to say.  I bought my Charger R/T from them in mid September, and I was promised "AS IS" condition from when I saw it in June.  This meant I would get the car plus the trunk full of parts that I saw.  In the trunk was a G33 Mirror, S79 Steering Wheel, incorrect intake manifold (I was told was the correct one by Hans, himself), and the creme de la creme of parts a rare and pristine Cragar S/S wheel, the day on delivery came and the only thing in there was the "Correct" manifold.  They lied about the other parts and told me the S/S wheel was "cracked" (sure... I'd believe that the day they sold me the car with a running engine and with the taillights I saw on the back on the car.) Yes the engine was seized, yes they also stole the taillights, they replaced them with two broken taillights, one 69 & one 70.   :icon_smile_angry:   

Holy crap   :o .. I'm sorry man.. I think BK and HLPAG are exactly the same as far as how they treat/lie to customers. It sucks that there are people out there like HLPAG and BK...

Big Sugar

Well I think you are right, sad to say.  I bought my Charger R/T from them in mid September, and I was promised "AS IS" condition from when I saw it in June.  This meant I would get the car plus the trunk full of parts that I saw.  In the trunk was a G33 Mirror, S79 Steering Wheel, incorrect intake manifold (I was told was the correct one by Hans, himself), and the creme de la creme of parts a rare and pristine Cragar S/S wheel, the day on delivery came and the only thing in there was the "Correct" manifold.  They lied about the other parts and told me the S/S wheel was "cracked" (sure... I'd believe that the day they sold me the car with a running engine and with the taillights I saw on the back on the car.) Yes the engine was seized, yes they also stole the taillights, they replaced them with two broken taillights, one 69 & one 70.   :icon_smile_angry:   

OMG....Another HLPAG customer. !!

Jeff , if you've got legal matters underway concerning you GL  You may consider a hold on any further work being done on the Car.

I don't know how you sleep at night, Man your gut must be a mess! Your a good guy you certainly didn't deserve this.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

jb666

Quote from: Big Sugar on January 18, 2009, 10:16:45 AM

OMG....Another HLPAG customer. !!

Jeff , if you've got legal matters underway concerning you GL  You may consider a hold on any further work being done on the Car.

I don't know how you sleep at night, Man your gut must be a mess! Your a good guy you certainly didn't deserve this.

Ron

I do have legal matters, but none that would warrant the car being taken from me. I'm going through the proper channels and BK will be too  :cheers: :cheers:

mikepmcs

I agree with Jeff, keep the work going.  If his legal counsel thought he needed to stop, they would have advised him by now I'm sure.  The fallout from bad legal advice could be damaging to the Firm if they screw up.  Now, as soon as they find out about this new issue that popped up, that might slow production some, I don't know, but I believe Jeff has enough documentation and written/photographic proof that he'll have no problem keeping the car no matter what happens.  The person getting in trouble will be the one who washed the numbers.  Up here in the Northeast, I can almost guarantee, no State or County badge is going to check your vin or door jam unless they had a reason to look for a specific car that was reported stolen or whatever. Jeff is all set IMO and he can just get a new title that matches the vehicle numbers after local law enforcement inspects and checks a few things.  I gather in the end, Jeff will come out on top and recoup every bit of his money and then some.  
Heck, here in Maine, all I need is a bill of sale and I can register any car I want that's over 15 years old.  If I wanted to be a crook about it, I could just pursue "Special Construction" as well, alter a few things, and I'm all set.  

:Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

on another note.... Jeff, I can't find my first Return to Hazzard DVD.  Now I'm freaking out.  When I find it I'll review it and post up any information that might be of use to you

Mike

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 18, 2009, 11:03:28 AM
I agree with Jeff, keep the work going.  If his legal counsel thought he needed to stop, they would have advised him by now I'm sure.  The fallout from bad legal advice could be damaging to the Firm if they screw up.  Now, as soon as they find out about this new issue that popped up, that might slow production some, I don't know, but I believe Jeff has enough documentation and written/photographic proof that you'll have no problem keeping the car no matter what happens.  The person getting in trouble will be the one who washed the numbers.  Up here in the Northeast, I can almost guarantee, no State or County badge is going to check your vin or door jam unless they had a reason to look for a specific car that was reported stolen or whatever.  Jeff is all set IMO and he can just get a new title that matches the vehicle numbers after local law enforcement inspects and checks a few things.  I gather in the end, Jeff will come out on top and recoup every bit of his money and then some.  
Heck, here in Maine, all I need is a bill of sale and I can register any car I want that's over 15 years old.  If I wanted to be a crook about it, I could just pursue "Special Construction" as well, alter a few things, and I'm all set.  

:Twocents:

Thanks Mike, very well said.  :cheers:

The other day Chuck said something to BK (here) like "Just pay the shop bill and at least TRY to make yourself look like a real shop". At this point, it's the only thing that COULD help them in the least. If it was posted here that they decided to avoid legal action by paying the bill people all over the place would be talking. Sure, it took them getting slammed into a corner to make good, but the bottom line would be THEY DID.  If they want to watch it go the other way, it just shows me they are reallllllllllllllllllly stupid people. I'm not looking to PROFIT $.01 from this. It's not my motive and hasn't been from day one. If I was , I'd have yanked them into court already and sued for my time and legal expenses and emotional distress caused by the rebuild of this  car.

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 18, 2009, 11:07:26 AM
on another note.... Jeff, I can't find my first Return to Hazzard DVD.  Now I'm freaking out.  When I find it I'll review it and post up any information that might be of use to you

Mike

No problem, it's still a couple of weeks from paint.  :cheers: :cheers:

mikepmcs

Wonder how many other cars they have.... errr, uhhhh... completed :-\  have gone through the laundry cycle.  For that matter, HLPAG had better start checking their books. 

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 18, 2009, 11:18:43 AM
Wonder how many other cars they have.... errr, uhhhh... completed :-\  have gone through the laundry cycle.  For that matter, HLPAG had better start checking their books. 

Well, I have several on my list of people that have contacted me with similar gripes. In fact, more than one of them was told "You got what you paid for" and paid a crazy amount of $$. BK is no stranger to what they've done here, and this most certainly was not their first butch-job. Just the first one to get such attention.

skip68

You can change a V.I.N. on a rebuilt vehicle as long as you have a state inspection and all numbers on the vehicle and tag come back clear.  Then the state will issue a new title.  Did BK do that ?   ::)  I'm guessing that BK had an old title for that V.I.N. and did not have a title for Jeff's car so they made one.  :Twocents:  But who knows, I may be wrong.  :smilielol:   This is just plain crazy.   :rotz:  My hat goes off to BK's Attorney.  :yesnod:  I just hope that BK has been as honest with his Attorney as he has been with us.   :smilielol: :rofl:    :scratchchin:  They say if you represent yourself that you have a fool for a client.   :scratchchin:  If we already know that the client is a fool, would it be safe to say that the client is representing himself ?  :smilielol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:   You have exposed yourself for the eye's and ears of the puplic and allowed it to continue.   Good luck !   ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

hemi-hampton

The State of Michigan issued VIN tags I've seen look nothing like a regular VIN & were attached to the door jamb or A Post near door hinges.  LEON.

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 18, 2009, 01:48:56 PM
The State of Michigan issued VIN tags I've seen look nothing like a regular VIN & were attached to the door jamb or A Post near door hinges.  LEON.

From what I hear, Mass may do the same thing (in the door jam). It may not be necessary though.

The70RT

I would get the real rivets in the end just to make sure. You never know when you get pulled over and it becomes an issue. Then since it is a GL it gets more attention. I guess if they give you a state vin then it wouldn't matter as much  :shruggy:  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jb666

Quote from: The70RT on January 18, 2009, 06:07:50 PM
I would get the real rivets in the end just to make sure. You never know when you get pulled over and it becomes an issue. Then since it is a GL it gets more attention. I guess if they give you a state vin then it wouldn't matter as much  :shruggy:  :Twocents:

I've actually already been looking into that.. I want to make sure it LOOKS as good/real as it possibly can and common Home Depot rivets don't quite complete that look... I will more then likely end up with a state vin plate though. I want to be 100% legal. And after all, it's a GL, not a low mile original Hemi Charger, so it's ok with me  :cheers:

I want this car done, painted and home in my garage.. I've had enough. I hope Thomas at BK has developed the world's biggest ulcer because of all of this..

426HemiCharger

...developed the world's biggest ulcer...  [/quote]   :smilielol: I'M ROTFL.
------------------------Cars I have now----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T
1998 Ford Econoline 150
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
-----------------------Cars I wish I had----------------------------
1969 Charger R/T 4-Speed or Hemi Clone
1970 Charger R/T Hemi Clone
1970  Dodge Polara IL State Police Car
---------------------------Future Posibilities------------------------
2010 or later Ford Fusion Hybrid (Replaces 2002 Hyundai)

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!