News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Well, I got GOOD news today. The motor checked out with ZERO problems (internally). Great compression, leak down passed with flying colors..

BUT, the oil pan's leaking pretty good  :brickwall: and the rear diff bolts were all finger tight  :brickwall:

I've got quite the group going to the shop tomorrow.. Should be interesting!!!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mikepmcs

What time we meeting up?  My buddy's kids showed no interest so I'm on my own and time is not a factor for me.
You need anything from up here that I can bring on the way down?

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 23, 2009, 07:49:57 PM
What time we meeting up?  My buddy's kids showed no interest so I'm on my own and time is not a factor for me.

Mike

Mike -- The other guy from Maine is going to be at the shop around 1PM, so when ever you want to meet is fine with me. Do you have any need for a new Demon 850? Jon installed a nicely built/tuned Holley on the car today (that he's had experience with) and now my Demon's for sale  :icon_smile_big: , I figured while you were already coming.......  :icon_smile_big: What can you bring down? Want to stop at the Kittery Trading Post and pick up a new .45 for me? Then stop by Poland Springs and load up on some fresh spring water? No, seriously, I'm all set, it'll be nice meeting you and you'll get to see the work I've been ranting and raving about here for the past two months...

Quote from: tan top on January 23, 2009, 07:49:00 PM
thats good stuff the motors  ok  :yesnod:  :dance:  ......

You aren't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS SO RELIEVED to get that phone call tonight.. He said he was surprised nothing leaked (internally) and it actually did BETTER than he expected. FINALLY some good news, and why is this? BK DID NOT TOUCH THE MOTOR, they just put it in.. But, I do know that they had to put the oil pan/gasket in so that's why that's leaking  :brickwall:

skip68

I wish I could be there too.   :'(  I guess I will be there in spirit.   :cheers:  Tell Jon that I said high and that I love the work he has done.   ;) :2thumbs:      Chuck...................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tan top

Quote from: jb666 on January 23, 2009, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on January 23, 2009, 07:49:57 PM

Mike

Mike -- The other guy from Maine is going to be at the shop around 1PM, so when ever you want to meet is fine with me. Do you have any need for a new Demon 850? Jon installed a nicely built/tuned Holley on the car today (that he's had experience with) and now my Demon's for sale  :icon_smile_big: , I figured while you were already coming.......  :icon_smile_big: What can you bring down? Want to stop at the Kittery Trading Post and pick up a new .45 for me? Then stop by Poland Springs and load up on some fresh spring water? No, seriously, I'm all set, it'll be nice meeting you and you'll get to see the work I've been ranting and raving about here for the past two months...

Quote from: tan top on January 23, 2009, 07:49:00 PM
thats good stuff the motors  ok  :yesnod:  :dance:  ......

You aren't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS SO RELIEVED to get that phone call tonight.. He said he was surprised nothing leaked (internally) and it actually did BETTER than he expected. FINALLY some good news, and why is this? BK DID NOT TOUCH THE MOTOR, they just put it in.. But, I do know that they had to put the oil pan/gasket in so that's why that's leaking  :brickwall:

yeah i was just going to say that ,  luckily bk did not have to touch the motor thats why its ok  :yesnod:  :yesnod: diff bolts are not tight ,& oil pan leaking ... well thats the parts BK worked on  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

FLG

I think they should have STARTED on little models first, or maybe they did and just figured glue and paint is all you would need for the big ones too  :smilielol:

mikepmcs

No thank you on the BG carb, but I'll take some lessons on that Holley ;D :yesnod:  I got rid of the eddy and have a 750 hp on mine.
See you tomorrow....
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: MoparManJim on January 23, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
Man, I wouldn't even consider taking my car to BK at all. I don't think they know really how to work on a vehicle  :eek2:. They probly do better work on tiny model vehicles bettery as at least those things doesn't run but just rather set still to look at all the time.

What's funny is they claim their "specialty" is building $150k cars and building cars for Corvettes & Classics of Houston and the multiple cars per year he builds for the Volo Auto Museum (yes, this is really what he said).  I'll bet these people would LOVE to see this thread and how their good name could get trashed.

skip68

Maybe they will get a tip.  :shruggy:   I read there claim to fame for being associated with those companies.  :shruggy:  I'll have to ask them if they know bk is using them as a reference to the work they do.   :rofl:   It's funny how a company will try to put distance between thier good name and BK when I start talking and asking questions.   :smilielol: :rofl:  This has happened twice, and I'm keeping the names to myself as I will honer the privacy of those I spoke to.   ;) :yesnod:   I wonder if that will happen again.  :smilielol:   :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Bluestar

Quote from: jb666 on January 23, 2009, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on January 23, 2009, 08:17:59 PM
Man, I wouldn't even consider taking my car to BK at all. I don't think they know really how to work on a vehicle  :eek2:. They probly do better work on tiny model vehicles bettery as at least those things doesn't run but just rather set still to look at all the time.

What's funny is they claim their "specialty" is building $150k cars and building cars for Corvettes & Classics of Houston and the multiple cars per year he builds for the Volo Auto Museum (yes, this is really what he said).  I'll bet these people would LOVE to see this thread and how their good name could get trashed.

Maybe the k was a typo, and it was just supposed to be $150 cars...  :icon_smile_big:

skip68

You know what I would love to find?   :naughty:  :icon_smile_big:  I would love to find Jeff's car on the showroom floor of one of those companies.   :smilielol:   Think about it,    :scratchchin:   Jeff has a V.I.N. tag that matches the body numbers of car somewhere.  :icon_smile_big: :scratchchin:   Now, if the tags were not switched legally, Jeff should make a demand for the rest of his car.   :smilielol:   :scratchchin:   I'd be willing to bet that those classic car guys check all numbers and have them written down in the inventory records.   :yesnod: ;)  :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:   

jb666

Ok well I'm heading to the shop to meet Mikepmcs and Roy.. Just wait until they see what's sitting in Jon's shop today - They are in for a HUGE surprise.. Pictures later.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

skip68

General_01

:iagree:

You guys have been there for at least an hour now. We demand pics ASAP!!! :smash: :smash: :smash:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

They are now at the bar wetting their vocal chords. This is necessary from all the "SHOCKED" "OMG" "SON OF A _____ " squeals that have been coming from the shop all day while looking at yet another insane thing that needs to be corrected on the car.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Ok -- Just got back. What a get-together it was!! I met a couple of really nice forum members today...

Mikepmcs is a GREAT guy! Talk about someone who knows his stuff, especially where the General Lee is concerned.. It was a true pleasure hanging out today!!

I'm glad everyone got to see the General "in real life" today. It was funny hearing the comments about the before/after work.  Each person there today (12 people total were checking the car out) couldn't believe the quality of the work that's going into this car now and what a JOKE it was before..

Anyways, the cool car of the day in Jon's shop today was a Ford FR500 Cobra Jet. Obviously this is a race-only car out of the box, but what an amazing pc of machinery. Without getting too off topic, I'll just put up a couple of shots of this 10 second beast.. It's at Jon's getting a full cage.

So my hood and fenders were picked up by a nice group of folks who drove 4+ hours from Maine to pick them up.. They'll be put to good use!!

Mike ended up being a part of the General's history.. He was checking out the starter that's wrapped in heat shield. Well, he reached up and moved the shield aside and was greeted with sparks.. So needless to say that'll come apart now (it's a LOT of fun trying to get at the starter on this car, it's totally wrapped inside the headers). But I do believe this was a huge headache prevented!! He brought me some really cool General Lee gifts and was in awe over the work being done on the car..

I'm really glad this forum is here -- What an amazing group of people  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh yeah.. My inner fenders. Held in place with less then 1/5 of the mounting hardware. Zip ties or NO BOLTS were it...

Is this what you'd expect to see on a $70k build? Overspray? Partially painted areas?

Time to clean up...

jb666

Another discovery is that my "$900 rebuilt gauges" area  joke. The speedo is nothing more then a white face over a factory gauge. NOTHING was rebuilt and the speedo is trash(Does anyone here have one??). It's been tested out of the car and it does NOT work. In fact, none of them did...  Based on this email I'll be making a call on Monday to see if THIS is yet another BS story provided by BK.

----- Original Message -----
To: JB666
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Re:

It will bounce aruond some. Otherwise, those were sent out and done by Auto Instruments. I have used them several times before and since and havent had a problem yet, but I know others who have. I still think they are a good company to use though.

BK Automotive LLC
www.bkauto.net

Let's see what Auto Instruments has to say about this claim, and how they feel about their name being used with gauges that don't work.

In going through some old emails, I came across this one. I went out to BK back in September of 08 when I first started finding problems with the car. His response will make you all laugh...

Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: GL #119

Its a fine line because a customer expects a quality product and anyone worth his salt wants to provide one. Anyone can look at what we do and see we handle quality and there is no 'if' we can build it or do it. But in some cases, people don't understand what actual value is, they expect things because of what someone else has or what they see on TV, or they compare apples to bananas and the water gets murky.

Its just not possible to hand someone $50k and expect them to build you an $80k car. Just doesnt happen. Long and short of it, you get what you pay for, and I have no apologies to make because if he can't pay to do it right, its not my responsability to go into my pocket and build a car for him. these are toys, not food and shelter. Its his car, maybe he should have been able to spend more or should have fallen in love with a cheaper car.

We don't have any restorations that are under $60k. they are all almost always $80-$150k. In some cases, we have cars pushing past $200k. Has nothing to do with me, has everything to do with the car and the customer. One quality shop will do the same work as another quality shop and the price will be roughly the same. If a guy can't afford to use dynamat, then he doesnt get it. If he can't afford proper undercoating, he doesnt get it. The budget cars are usually great, and alot of fun, but in a case like this, it was turned into something else.

On a fixed budget, if someone has me spend 90% of the funds working on a quarter panel.... then whats left to build the rest of the car? All I can say, is from a builders standpoint, you cant win them all. In 10 years, I have had I think 3 people unhappy with me, and in one way or another for roughly the same reason, wanted more than thier money would buy. I guess I just have to add him to that catagory, learn more about what to look for to avoid those customers and move on.

with the upgrades you made, and alittle more driving and checking the car out, it should be a great car for many years down the road. You ended up in the best position however, as it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy a car than to build a car.

BK Automotive LLC
www.bkauto.net

:smilielol: Yeah, it was definitely cheaper for me to BUY the car then to build it  :brickwall:

And believe me, I have proof of more then THREE PEOPLE being unhappy in 10 years.. What a joke!!

tan top

can't recall you saying if you was going to go through all the front end bushings etc ...  but looks as if the passanger side lower bump stop is missing  :yesnod: :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

jb666

Quote from: tan top on January 24, 2009, 04:59:54 PM
can't recall you saying if you was going to go through all the front end bushings etc ...  but looks as if the passanger side lower bump stop is missing  :yesnod: :popcrn:

Interesting, but the front end was checked out by another shop.. Minus the ball joints & tie rods everything else was deemed ok. I'll have Jon take a look at it before it leaves his shop. I'd love to pull the front sway bar and paint it.. The thing looks ridiculous..

When Mike was there today, he says "THIS is the $600 Hemi K-frame?!?!".

Per BK's website:

The $600.00 HEMI K-frame is installed, and the custom subframe connectors are bolted, then welded into place. Now let's jump a train...

You'll laugh when you see mine.. It might have started as this, but as Mike can testify to, mine's all cut/hacked up and was repainted (while still hot). It's a mess.

And this is another thing I'll have to verify on Monday:
To keep the front wheels planted and steady, our friends at Firm Feel have fabricated us a set of heavy duty reinforced lower control arms.

If this is so heavy duty and IS the unit in my car, why's it bent??

And last, if Brian was so "CHEAP" when building this car, why not use a set of stock hood hinges?? Instead, BK contradicts themselves by saying:

The powder coated hinges arrived. If your going to go, go in style.

Amazingly enough, THOSE ARE ON THE CAR!!  :o

Go Hogs Go

I had a white face gauge restoration done by auto instruments. I did have issues with it. I had to take the cluster out of the car and send it back because the water temperature gauge was off by 130 degrees. They re-calibrated it and it worked fine then, but after about 500 miles the speedometer started bouncing between 5-20 mph, and my tick tock tac eventually started bouncing wildly after I passed 3,000 rpm. They make good on it, but it's a pain to keep pulling a cluster out of a car over and over.
Go Hogs!

jb666

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on January 24, 2009, 05:03:22 PM
I had a white face gauge restoration done by auto instruments. I did have issues with it. I had to take the cluster out of the car and send it back because the water temperature gauge was off by 130 degrees. They re-calibrated it and it worked fine then, but after about 500 miles the speedometer started bouncing between 5-20 mph, and my tick tock tac eventually started bouncing wildly after I passed 3,000 rpm. They make good on it, but it's a pain to keep pulling a cluster out of a car over and over.

That's what my speedo is doing. At 5 MPH it jumps from 5-60MPH like crazy... My water gauge was WAY off (before switching to Autometer). When I first ran the car the gauge read 260.. I shut it down in a panic.

tan top

Quote from: jb666 on January 24, 2009, 05:01:51 PM
Quote from: tan top on January 24, 2009, 04:59:54 PM

Interesting, but the front end was checked out by another shop.. Minus the ball joints & tie rods everything else was deemed ok. I'll have Jon take a look at it before it leaves his shop. I'd love to pull the front sway bar and paint it.. The thing looks ridiculous..

When Mike was there today, he says "THIS is the $600 Hemi K-frame?!?!".

Per BK's website:

The $600.00 HEMI K-frame is installed, and the custom subframe connectors are bolted, then welded into place. Now let's jump a train...

You'll laugh when you see mine.. It might have started as this, but as Mike can testify to, mine's all cut/hacked up and was repainted (while still hot). It's a mess.

And this is another thing I'll have to verify on Monday:
To keep the front wheels planted and steady, our friends at Firm Feel have fabricated us a set of heavy duty reinforced lower control arms.

If this is so heavy duty and IS the unit in my car, why's it bent??

And last, if Brian was so "CHEAP" when building this car, why not use a set of stock hood hinges?? Instead, BK contradicts themselves by saying:

The powder coated hinges arrived. If your going to go, go in style.

Amazingly enough, THOSE ARE ON THE CAR!!  :o

:2thumbs: see green arrow

Charger Stuff 

jb666

Thanks!!!  :cheers:

I'm gathering some info tonight and am laughing at some of the things I'm reading (now that this thread/car has gone this far). Check this out if you want a good laugh...

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: re:

Oh, and to answer your question:

If I paid what you paid, and found what you found, I would not be happy either. I think 90% of whats rolling down the street is trash on top of that. Thats why I build my own personal cars and would never trust buying one from someone else. I can agree with you there, however a 3rd party makes bad choices building something and it turns into a pile, doesnt mean its my fault or yours. I did what I was paid for. If I need to do something that didnt get done or done right, I redo it. Sounds like you got more work than you planned. If I remember I mentioned that he should have had the car built right from the start, and you need to lok at the body over anything. It would be fine as a seldom used, cheap general for local shows... but its just not the thing you want to turn into the car its morphed into.

Here is a quick fact: 99% of all general lees out there are $35k or less total investment. Most of them are in the low 20s. if we said every single one had to be built to the standards of the car you really need, no one could afford it. And consider this, as bad as that car looked, we actually put more time and money and make much less profit per car on those than anyone else. I don't spit out crap cars for quick cash. I make around 10% profit on all base model replicas. Thats not much considering.

you think I dd something intentionally wrong, and thats not the case. You say I didnt want to help, and thats not the case. I am just not sure what you are after.

BK Automotive LLC
www.bkauto.net

This is awesome.. 99% of the GL's out there have ONE HALF THE COST this car has into it, yet none were rolling heaps like this one. My standards??????? God help me for wanting a SAFE CLEAN CAR, what was I thinking?!?!?!  :brickwall:

It would be find for a seldom used cheap General for local car shows....... Yeah, if I trailered it there AFTER HOURS and the only people left were blind and knew nothing about cars. Please, who says something like that about a car THEY BUILT?!?