News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger01

Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 05:35:56 PM
Tonight's update.. The rear main seal is leaking too, so Jon will be replacing that when he does the oil pan gasket..  He said tonight it's running good though!!

I'll be heading to his shop tonight/tomorrow so more pictures will follow...

One thing I'm siked about is that I have blazing heat/defrost in the Charger now!!!  :bow:

Heats easy ;D ac is where it's at :icon_smile_cool: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

jb666

Quote from: charger01 on January 30, 2009, 05:48:09 PM
Tonight's update.. The rear main seal is leaking too, so Jon will be replacing that when he does the oil pan gasket..  He said tonight it's running good though!!

One thing I'm siked about is that I have blazing heat/defrost in the Charger now!!!  :bow:

Heats easy ;D ac is where it's at :icon_smile_cool: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

I was going to, originally, but I don't use it. I'd rather have the windows down listening to it while I drive down the road..  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Don't get me wrong, my truck & Vette both have ICE COLD A/C, and it's always cranking, but this will be bare bones

472 R/T SE

Don't think you'll be able to fix that rear main.  It's one of those quality control aspects that MP is famous for.  The new blocks supposedly fixed the casting.

Mine didn't start leaking until I put synthetic in and even at that it's not a whole lot.

jb666

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 30, 2009, 06:31:13 PM
Don't think you'll be able to fix that rear main.  It's one of those quality control aspects that MP is famous for.  The new blocks supposedly fixed the casting.

Mine didn't start leaking until I put synthetic in and even at that it's not a whole lot.

Oh that's great news..... Well, I'm not running Synthetic and it's leaking... When the inspection cover came off the tranny it was like a fluid retainer, it all came out...

joflaig

I think you're nuts not taking that motor to an engine builder and having them completely tear ot apart!  :Twocents:

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on January 30, 2009, 06:36:26 PM

I think you're nuts not taking that motor to an engine builder and having them completely tear ot apart!  :Twocents:

I'm not saying it won't happen, just not now. I'm seriously getting over-extended on this project. The motor passed several tests with flying colors and unless it grenades this Spring/Summer I'm going to take my chances with it. NEXT FALL is another story. We've already talked about pulling it for some 'modifications', so all I'm asking out of this (current build) motor is one season.

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 06:40:55 PM

I'm not saying it won't happen, just not now. I'm seriously getting over-extended on this project. The motor passed several tests with flying colors and unless it grenades this Spring/Summer I'm going to take my chances with it. NEXT FALL is another story. We've already talked about pulling it for some 'modifications', so all I'm asking out of this (current build) motor is one season.

You know more about the status and finances of this project than I do of course, and I know you want to drive this thing in the summer, but don't count on it! And if that motor goes after you get the car on the road well you may not get to use it anyway when the weather warms. Happened to me!

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on January 30, 2009, 06:45:44 PM

You know more about the status and finances of this project than I do of course, and I know you want to drive this thing in the summer, but don't count on it! And if that motor goes after you get the car on the road well you may not get to use it anyway when the weather warms. Happened to me!

Why? The car's about a week from heading to the paint shop where the rest of it will be stripped down to bare metal.. I've been told April is definitely in the books. Then I need a couple of weeks to finish up on the interior and voila.. The way I see it is the tough stuff is done. As for the motor going, I know exactly what you mean, but I'm going to have to take my chances with it and so far the people that've looked at it (and checked it out) say I'm good to go... If they end up being wrong, no sweat, I still have my other vehicles... Sure, I'll be bumming, but it will not cripple me..

Steve P.

While he has the pan off have him pull a few caps and inspect the bearings. Torque can be checked while in there also. Cheap insurance....  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on January 30, 2009, 07:12:07 PM
While he has the pan off have him pull a few caps and inspect the bearings. Torque can be checked while in there also. Cheap insurance....  ;)

He mentioned checking a few things when the pan was off  :cheers:

In a case like that, it's right there, in your face and (with this car) it'd be crazy NOT to

joflaig

Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 06:49:19 PM

Why? The car's about a week from heading to the paint shop where the rest of it will be stripped down to bare metal.. I've been told April is definitely in the books. Then I need a couple of weeks to finish up on the interior and voila.. The way I see it is the tough stuff is done. As for the motor going, I know exactly what you mean, but I'm going to have to take my chances with it and so far the people that've looked at it (and checked it out) say I'm good to go... If they end up being wrong, no sweat, I still have my other vehicles... Sure, I'll be bumming, but it will not cripple me..

So you are having the entire body stripped and gutten and blasted and then painted and then re-asembled completely, interior,  drivetrain and everything else ALL be April? If that's the plan, I'm skeptical.

jb666

Quote from: joflaig on January 30, 2009, 07:33:39 PM
Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 06:49:19 PM

So you are having the entire body stripped and gutten and blasted and then painted and then re-asembled completely, interior,  drivetrain and everything else ALL be April? If that's the plan, I'm skeptical.

As Opie & Anthony would say, Are ya?   :lol:

The drivetrain is done?? The interior?? Dynamat, seats and carpet?? No big deal.

My fabrication work is done. All weld work is done. This will be one of the easiest jobs in this guy's shop..

No worries.

jb666

There's no metal in my oil pan. He's going to pull a couple of bearings and check them.  During the leakdown test the cylinders were only leaking 3-5%, which is REALLY good. The oil filter was cut open and was clean. He verified TDC and it was off 3.5 degrees.  The best part is the block has no windows  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

If ANY of these things came up with negative results, trust me, this motor would be out.

Ghoste

I notice BK hasn't been lurking around since December 17, at least not under that username.

PocketThunder

Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 05:35:56 PMOne thing I'm siked about is that I have blazing heat/defrost in the Charger now!!!  :bow:

:2thumbs:  Glad i could help!  :2thumbs: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2009, 11:46:54 PM
I notice BK hasn't been lurking around since December 17, at least not under that username.

But I can almost guarantee you they are here.

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 31, 2009, 12:03:16 AM
Quote from: jb666 on January 30, 2009, 05:35:56 PMOne thing I'm siked about is that I have blazing heat/defrost in the Charger now!!!  :bow:

:2thumbs:  Glad i could help!  :2thumbs: 

Yes you did!!!!! The box you sent me was quickly disassembled, cleaned, blasted and painted (Sorry to Mickey & Minny for trashing their house). Another forum member send me the vent grill, the resistor and the heater controls, and I picked up a new heater core.. It looks like brand new under my dash!!! All for $100!!!!!!!

Steve P.

WOW....   Do you mean to tell me that their are good, decent parts out there available and for a good price??   ::) :D

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on January 31, 2009, 01:58:53 PM
WOW....   Do you mean to tell me that their are good, decent parts out there available and for a good price??   ::) :D

Oh ABSOLUTELY, especially from members of this forum. They know what's good & bad. So far the 4 members I've bought parts from (here) the parts are A1!!!

I have some good pictures from today's visit... I'll have them up in a few.

jb666

Ok, if anyone's wondering why my oil pan was leaking after BK installed it, this should clear it up. There was so much Silicone used it was clumped up in the bottom of the oil pan and pcs were on the bottom of my pickup. (which was crooked, btw). Another GREAT install job  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The pan bolts were cranked down SO TIGHT it killed the gasket and damaged the pan.

This pc? Fell out in small pcs...

Now, on to the $600 "Hemi K Frame" that BK made a big deal of on their website... This is their picture...Nice huh?

And this is what's ON my car. Nice clean cut, no jagged edges here..

Next... BK's quote: To keep the front wheels planted and steady, our friends at Firm Feel have fabricated us a set of heavy duty reinforced lower control arms.

Their picture:

What's on my car:

With the oil pan off it's time for some serious inspection...

The funny part is the rear seal was trashed.. A new Felpro Performance seal will go back in.

My new Strange rear end cover. The rear end checked out and is 100% perfect.. No BK gear swaps here, it's just as Strange shipped it.

hemi-hampton

The lower Control arms were reinforced, I see that plate added on bottom, This area is wide open from the Factory. LEON.

jb666

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 31, 2009, 02:29:19 PM
The lower Control arms were reinforced, I see that plate added on bottom, This area is wide open from the Factory. LEON.

Ok cool. I came here for reinforcement on this issue,  I wanted to make sure these weren't factory with a pc welded to the bottom. So that looks like the picture BK said they installed?

Steve P.

HOLY COW!!!!   They started off with a correct HEMI oil pan that came on the engine. Changed it, (NO NEED TO), to an aftermarket Milodon deep pan and mangled it. (Probably another part found in another car). TORCH CUT the crap out of the K-member. Never cleaned up the ragged edges, welded, primed or painted their INCREDIBLY LOUSY WORK "AND" if that isn't bad enough, posted a picture of a nice clean and freshly painted "K" to boot.............   

Jeff, that HAS to be repaired. The K-member is absolute JUNK unless you trim and weld it back together PROPERLY. As it is that "K" will flex beyond the smallest bit of safety. It's a death trap as it sits....

The lower control arms have been plated and welded, BUT didn't they say they had Firm Feel do the work?  FF would never have let them go down the road all bent up the way they are. My bet is they were ON the car when they got it and once again charged for something they did NOT do.

Sorry to say man, but that K has GOT to be repaired right or you will never be safe in that car...  :brickwall:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on January 31, 2009, 03:26:54 PM
HOLY COW!!!!   They started off with a correct HEMI oil pan that came on the engine. Changed it to an aftermarket Milodon deep pan. TORCH CUT the crap out of the K-member. Never cleaned up the ragged edges, welded, primed or painted their INCREDIBLY LOUSY WORK "AND" if that isn't bad enough, posted a picture of a nice clean and freshly painted "K" to boot.............   

Jeff, that HAS to be repaired. The K-member is absolute JUNK unless you trim and weld it back together PROPERLY. As it is that "K" will flex beyond the smallest bit of safety. It's a death trap as it sits....

The lower control arms have been plated and welded, BUT didn't they say they had Firm Feel do the work?  FF would never have let them go down the road all bent up the way they are. My bet is they were ON the car when they got it and once again charged for something they did NOT do.

Sorry to say man, but that K has GOT to be repaired right or you will never be safe in that car...  :brickwall:

Yes, BK said they were FF units, that's why I posted them here. Jon believes they ARE NOT, because of the bends. I'm researching it now through FF.  As for the K, it WILL be fixed.

:cheers: :cheers:

Steve P.

Jeff, do you have any pics. of the pan and member still as it came to you. If so I would love to see them. I know Jon IS the man for this repair. I just wonder how much or little room there was to the pan with BK's fire wrench art.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

Quote from: Steve P. on January 31, 2009, 03:42:50 PM
Jeff, do you have any pics. of the pan and member still as it came to you. If so I would love to see them. I know Jon IS the man for this repair. I just wonder how much or little room there was to the pan with BK's fire wrench art.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Let me look. Most of my (pan) pictures were showing how much of an angle it was sitting at.. I'll be back.