News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: jb666 on May 28, 2009, 09:41:44 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on May 28, 2009, 09:34:48 AM

Just curious, but aren't there drain holes at the bottom of the door? When you say sealed, do you mean all but the drains?

The rest looks good.  :cheers:

Correct, all but the drains have been sealed. These doors will never be able to build up water in that area again. They will function as they were built to.

Forgive the stupid question, but did they collect water from the factory or was it just because of BK bondo dams built up at the bottom of the door that collected water?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

jb666

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 28, 2009, 10:18:19 AM
Quote from: jb666 on May 28, 2009, 09:41:44 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on May 28, 2009, 09:34:48 AM

Just curious, but aren't there drain holes at the bottom of the door? When you say sealed, do you mean all but the drains?

The rest looks good.  :cheers:

Correct, all but the drains have been sealed. These doors will never be able to build up water in that area again. They will function as they were built to.

Forgive the stupid question, but did they collect water from the factory or was it just because of BK bondo dams built up at the bottom of the door that collected water?

Mine was completely and 100% loaded up with Bondo. My doors were caked with it. I like that, "BK Bondo dams"  :rofl: :rofl:

Steve P.

From the pic of the inside of the door it looks like they build a proper drain "pipe", if you will. That is better than the factory did. At least in any door I can think of..  The multiple drain holes were great except that the car is not always moving to get the water to the drains. Much water just sits on the seams and creates problems.

When I lived in the North, I had a boss that would open up his doors and pull the inside panels off every one of his cars that were used in the winter. Once the inner skins were off he would spray oil, motor oil, inside of them. Down in the hollows of fenders and inside of quarter panels as well.  With all the cars he and his family drove, none of them had rust and most of them were older cars that should have been crushed due to rust out many years before.. So yeah, I like the idea of making a trough to carry out the water rather than it sitting in the seams... The oil dissipated water in the same way. Sort of... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

jb666

That is the case, Steve. A proper drainage system has been established. This thing will flow like a faucet when submerged under water. That's good, because when I jump old Black's Creek (if the bridge is out) I want to make sure the car dries out quickly.

autodynamics

jb666

I've been brushing up and getting ready. I've watched seasons 1-3 over the past two weeks and am pretty sure I'll be able to jump this thing with virtually no body damage.

General_01

I sure hope you have been practicing your "YEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWW!!!" You know you can't jump a GL unless you yell that. :smilielol:

Car is looking great Jeff. Glad to see color going on the car. :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

Quote from: jb666 on May 28, 2009, 02:03:26 PM
I've been brushing up and getting ready. I've watched seasons 1-3 over the past two weeks and am pretty sure I'll be able to jump this thing with virtually no body damage.

HAHAHA...  Now "THAT" was funny...........    :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

FLG

Quote from: jb666 on May 28, 2009, 02:03:26 PM

Just dont take any advice from mikepmcs

He jumped his into a ditch...obviously didnt watch the shows good enough  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

autodynamics

jb666

Yes!! And, I'm at the shop now so pictures will be up a bit later

MoparManJim

jb666

Picky picky picky.

Anyways, I just got home, and all I can say is WOW. I am amazed. I almost had a heart attack when I walked in to see what was done. The car is completely jammed, re-assembled, lined up and (almost) ready for paint. The engine bay (where Jon needed to weld & patch up some "BK QUALITY" jobs) came out GREAT!! I couldn't believe it was my car I was looking at, and I can tell you right now that this is going to look AMAZING when it's done.

I'm resizing some pictures now..

69bronzeT5

Make sure you watch the hood sliding closely on the show Jeff! I tried doing that with mine and it didn't turn out so good :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jb666

First, let me give you an example of how BK slapped this thing together figuring no one was ever going to take this car apart now..

What was holding the headlight 'frame' to the car?? Virtually nothing, the brackets are rotted off completely. Check out the bent up bracket(s) and sheered off bolts.They are restoring this next.

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on May 29, 2009, 03:25:17 PM
Make sure you watch the hood sliding closely on the show Jeff! I tried doing that with mine and it didn't turn out so good :lol:

Oh, I'll practice on the wife's Navigator so I don't screw my paint up  :cheers:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jb666 on May 29, 2009, 03:27:47 PM

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on May 29, 2009, 03:25:17 PM

Oh, I'll practice on the wife's Navigator so I don't screw my paint up  :cheers:

Watch out for that center ridge on the Charger's hood. I was doing fine until my ass hit that...it caused me to roll and straight off the side of the car I went :smilielol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

Jeff I have that grille support.  It's my wrecked one but could be of some use.  It's a hack job too but you win on that one.  :lol:

Whatta ya think??
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 29, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
Jeff I have that grille support.  It's my wrecked one but could be of some use.  It's a hack job too but you win on that one.  :lol:

Whatta ya think??

You're kidding?? That would be great and PERFECT timing seeing you'll be down here tomorrow!!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

jb666

Ok, here we go.  First, the reason certain door parts were primed with the door was because BK had painted them orange when they weren't supposed to be. So they were removed, stripped down and put back on to be primed. They were then removed and painted correctly before being reassembled.

Remember, these are fresh shots. The car was being worked on when I walked in and the guys just got out of my way so I could snap some shots. So if you see something that looks out of place, well, it very well could be. It was the middle of the day and not everyone got to leave work at noon today  :icon_smile_big:

Ok, here's what I saw when I walked in, and my jaw hit the ground. I couldn't believe what had been done in such a short time.

Until the motor comes out and the engine bay is completely finished (to match the car) they did a nice seperation line between the body (color) and the black. The motor's coming out this Fall, at which point the engine bay will look as nice as the rest of the car.

As discussed, I went with the body color under the hood. It's the way I wanted it (sorry Warner Brothers for breaking the ethical code of General Lee owners).

The bars Jon welded to give the push bar a bit more stability (AND the ability to remove it with ease) was sanded and painted, along with the rest of the Black you can see. The engine bay (paint) was a horrific mess before. I THINK it was prepped with a BBQ brush and (rolled on ) Rustoleum to complete the look

Here you can see the spot on the firewall where there used to be a hole big enough to fit your head through (that BK covered with DYNAMAT).

This shot shows the new inner fender area that Jon did where BK had a large hole, battery terminals and (God knows what else) a bit more going on.. Keep in mind here guys that the wiring isn't tied up, complete or by any means ready to "show"

Jon's flush mount push bar mount along with the nice (BK supplied) Orange overspray on the front sway bar. This will not be there much longer.

Moving around to the driver's door..

TO BE CONTINUED...

mikepmcs

Let's just see if I can get it in the Challenger now :o

I posted too soon, the car looks fantastic!!! You can just see the quality of their paint work in these pics.  No cut and buff needed. :2thumbs:
Need your permission to take pics of Jon's mount for the pushbar if possible? I need to figure out how I'm going to do mine.  :P

jb666

Keep in mind, before this job, BK had painted ALL of the door/hood hardware with the car..

The trunk's done exactly how I wanted it. It's being "spackle painted" where you can see it and the rest will be covered in Dynamat.

:popcrn:

jb666

And just a few shots of a really cool 40's Pontiac they were painting when I was there.

Hope you enjoyed today's presentation.

:cheers: :cheers:

teamroth

Awesome Jeff!  I would say very soon you will be jumping creeks and running from the law! It really is amazing the work they have done.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

jb666

Quote from: teamroth on May 29, 2009, 04:23:25 PM
Awesome Jeff!  I would say very soon you will be jumping creeks and running from the law! It really is amazing the work they have done.

I tell ya, seeing this in person really makes these pictures look bad. The paint is smooth as ice and deep like you can dive into it. I can now imagine how this is going to look while painted.. Especially with the "twist" we have planned. Nothing too 'out there', but it'll DEFINITELY stand out.  :coolgleamA: There will definitely be no other like it.