News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamchargerMopar

:rofl: was the first song that popped into my head from the Righteous Brothers
Mopar or No Car!

Shale

Another n00b checking in simply for this thread...I've been watching this since page fifty-something, but neglected to pop in and actually say hi.

I'm sure y'all have seen the 350Z that got similar treatment on a far smaller scale...I posted this thread over there and the poor Z owner about fell over sideways!

As has been said many a time here and elsewhere, you've got some huge ones bro. The few bad things that have happened to my babies were enough to reduce me to tears (shush, I'm a girl), but it was nothing compared to the insane stuff that the General has seen.

And gosh, some of it sounds familiar. My beautiful little silver Impreza (I know, blasphemy! In a Charger forum!) got a change of colour to Blue Steel. The BK-wannabes that did it simply sprayed the Blue Steel over the top of my lovingly waxed OEM paint, threw on way too much enamel - on a rice rocket - and called it a day. Any fool and his dog knows that you don't put enamel on Subaru paint because guess what, it goes yellow. :slap:

Oh yeah, then it got stolen...drifted into a kerb...dumped...repaired, then stacked by a garbage truck...

99% fixed and with one half still peeling back to silver, I look at the GL here and have not considered giving up once as a result. So thank you for sharing your adventure, even with its unholy price tag. It reminds those of us with vehicular issues to NOT be pansies and pike out.

Consider me an avid fan of the build...even if I do own two Subarus and live in a country that hardly ever sees a US car, let alone the good stuff :2thumbs:
Jap Infiltrator! 1998 Subaru Impreza sedan, 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon

Steve P.

Welcome to the site Shale. Glad to see you here, but I am wondering how you happened across our family?

Stick with your dreams for your project. It will all be worth it in the long run. Just keep this thread in mind when ever you THINK about having ANYONE ELSE work on your ride.

Again, welcome to the family....  :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shale

Quote from: Steve P. on September 01, 2009, 03:17:23 AM
Welcome to the site Shale. Glad to see you here, but I am wondering how you happened across our family?

Stick with your dreams for your project. It will all be worth it in the long run. Just keep this thread in mind when ever you THINK about having ANYONE ELSE work on your ride.

Again, welcome to the family....  :cheers:

Quite random as far as jumps go isn't it. I'm a member of many car forums, and the most generic gathers threads from all corners of the automotive universe. If it's not some moron VTAKKing into a tree, it's someone drilling wood screws into chassis rails or covering a beautiful old car in a half-ton of bondo... tell you WHAT, you get a lot of juicy goss from the auto world in the non-specific forums!

This particular build as I said is of particular interest, as I've had my own nightmares. When I discovered the Legacy had been crashed, left to rust and covered in bog (the NZ equivalent of GUESS WHAT), I was thinking...dear god, a little of the General lives on in the Frankenleggy. :slap: In this case it got a re-shell as the chassis rails were up the duff with car cancer, and the whole thing cost me $200. Meh, scrap it. The Impreza had already dealt with enough!

The amount of sheer idiocy removed from this car is offset by the sheer talent that shaved the crap off the poor thing - it's a pity places like this don't exactly exist in this area of the world! Never heard of a shop that does such a good job and boy do we need something like this.

Tell you what it would be great to sit down and have a beer with you guys once this project is fiiiiinally finished...it's just a pity Auckland is so far away. You lot are an awesome, quality bunch! :2thumbs:
Jap Infiltrator! 1998 Subaru Impreza sedan, 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon

69ChargersRule

jb666

Quote from: Shale on September 01, 2009, 04:50:11 PM

Again, welcome to the family....  :cheers:

Quite random as far as jumps go isn't it. I'm a member of many car forums, and the most generic gathers threads from all corners of the automotive universe. If it's not some moron VTAKKing into a tree, it's someone drilling wood screws into chassis rails or covering a beautiful old car in a half-ton of bondo... tell you WHAT, you get a lot of juicy goss from the auto world in the non-specific forums!

This particular build as I said is of particular interest, as I've had my own nightmares. When I discovered the Legacy had been crashed, left to rust and covered in bog (the NZ equivalent of GUESS WHAT), I was thinking...dear god, a little of the General lives on in the Frankenleggy. :slap: In this case it got a re-shell as the chassis rails were up the duff with car cancer, and the whole thing cost me $200. Meh, scrap it. The Impreza had already dealt with enough!

The amount of sheer idiocy removed from this car is offset by the sheer talent that shaved the crap off the poor thing - it's a pity places like this don't exactly exist in this area of the world! Never heard of a shop that does such a good job and boy do we need something like this.

Tell you what it would be great to sit down and have a beer with you guys once this project is fiiiiinally finished...it's just a pity Auckland is so far away. You lot are an awesome, quality bunch! :2thumbs:

Shale, first off, thank you for joining   :cheers: . Second, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. It sure has been one Hell of a ride, that fortunately is coming to an end some time soon.   I'm glad word of this build has made it to your neck of the woods. The more it's spread, the better, but most important it means this thread/forum is doing it's job warning other potential buyers of shops like BK Auto. They are out there waiting for their next victim.

I gotta say, I'll never walk into an auto parts store and look at a can of Bondo without getting the chills again though.  :lol:

Stick around, you're about to see the best part of the build --- The finale!! The "victory lap" articles, videos and loads more...

Quote from: 69ChargersRule on September 01, 2009, 06:13:09 PM
That is a very nice General Lee you are making. :drool5:

Thank you. I wish "I" was building it... I'm simply funding it. The true genius is supplied by the guys at the shop.  :cheers: :cheers:

Everyone will be happy (that noticed) the alignment issues. The nose has been aligned and all is well in General Lee land.. I guess I'm in for a couple of surprises this weekend. I can't wait to see it!!

Again, welcome to the family....  :cheers:

Steve, I couldn't have said that any better if I tried. That's what this monster of a thread is really all about... From day one.

One last tidbit of useless info that won't change the way you dress tomorrow.... This past Sunday was my one year anniversary to the date I drove to Maryland and this whole saga began..  :o

Steve P.

Jesus..... Did you celebrate with a sharp stick in your eye??    ::)   Good thing there is a present day...  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

FLG

This thread is the reason i avoided some other shops i had in mind. You think one is good and it turns out to be crap.

Im 20, college, and full time working...if this ever happened to me i seriously think it would be the end of this hobby for myself for a long long time. I couldnt stand seeing that and thats the reason why ill drive 4 hours out of NY to get my car done.

Yes i feel sorry for jeff that he had to do all this, but id seriously owe him one....if it wasnt for his mishap or him not posting here i might have been in the same boat.

And guys, the car looks AMAZING up close and personal. Pics dont do justice.

captnsim

Quote from: Steve P. on September 01, 2009, 09:41:57 PM
Jesus..... Did you celebrate with a sharp stick in your eye??    ::)  Good thing there is a present day...  :2thumbs:

Eloquently put as always Steve.

Glad to see the car is still coming along at a good pace Jeff...  :cheers:

TylerCharger69

Quote from: Go Hogs Go on August 29, 2009, 03:44:43 PM
Neither of the tail lights on my 69 have a gray stripe. I guess I've been running 70's for all this time and never had a clue :-\
Not to dig up old posts....but mine has the grey stripes!!!   '69.....I remember I had to touch up paint a small portion of my passenger side as the paint was faded out.

chargergirl

Looking forward to the finished GL it's been a long hard road for you and glad you found the right shop to do the work! Welcome Shale it's a good group here.
Trust your Woobie!

jb666

Quote from: chargergirl on September 03, 2009, 06:59:57 AM
Looking forward to the finished GL it's been a long hard road for you and glad you found the right shop to do the work! Welcome Shale it's a good group here.

Thank you! I am too, believe me  :cheers: :cheers:

Quote from: FLG on September 01, 2009, 10:33:33 PM
This thread is the reason i avoided some other shops i had in mind. You think one is good and it turns out to be crap.

Im 20, college, and full time working...if this ever happened to me i seriously think it would be the end of this hobby for myself for a long long time. I couldnt stand seeing that and thats the reason why ill drive 4 hours out of NY to get my car done.

Yes i feel sorry for jeff that he had to do all this, but id seriously owe him one....if it wasnt for his mishap or him not posting here i might have been in the same boat.

Frank -- You definitely made the right choice and will be very happy!!

Quote from: captnsim on September 01, 2009, 11:27:54 PM
Jesus..... Did you celebrate with a sharp stick in your eye??    ::)  Good thing there is a present day...  :2thumbs:

Thanks man!!  :cheers:

Jesus..... Did you celebrate with a sharp stick in your eye??    ::)   Good thing there is a present day...  :2thumbs:

I thought about it, but decided to let the "anniversary" go by without a visit to the ER.  :2thumbs:

TA70455

Hey I saw your car at the shop this morning, They are doing a great job on the floors etc... Thats quite a ride to find a good shop. I guess I am spoiled LOL 

RamchargerMopar

Jeff are you ok???? I hope your ok! Its Saturday and its 10 pm and I see no new pics I need my fix man come on I neeeed my fixxxx :eek2:
Mopar or No Car!

mikepmcs

Long weekend... I'll go out on a limb and say he is vacationing with his family off station.  In other words he won't be posting pics til he gets home from camp.
:icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RamchargerMopar

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! LOL well if thats so Jeff have a great weekend! Hurry home with pics!
Mopar or No Car!

FLG

Jeff might have some pics. I know he wasnt able to get any of mine because it was somewhere else getting sub-frame conn's done. As for his car, i think he might have taken some.

jb666

I have Lots of new pics. The pushbar is on and came out awesome. It looks like jewelry on the front of the car. The entire nose is adjusted and looks incredible.  The rest of the chrome trim is on the car, and the headliner is finished. I took a new Walk-around video for the series, too.

Frank is right, his car was at jons and I didn't get to see it, but from what I hear the sf connectors are a work of art. I hope to see them on Monday on my way home.  If so I'll grab lots of pictures.

Chris. We ARE spoiled.  I complain about the 45 minute ride and here's frank taking a 4+ HOUR ride.

dstryr

Jeff,
Did you ever find/track down the owner of the TA from BK's site?
Frank
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

jb666

Quote from: dstryr on September 07, 2009, 03:21:15 AM
Jeff,
Did you ever find/track down the owner of the TA from BK's site?
Frank

Yes and no. I know who it is and am waiting for a response from him.  :cheers:

I HAVE RETURNED from the long weekend away!!

Before posting any videos/pictures I'd like to give a huge THANK YOU to Bill440 for the secondary hood latch he sold me. It's mint and on the car. Thanks for the tech advice, too, Bill!!

After a bit of cleanup & paint:

More pictures to follow...

jb666

And here's this week's walk-around video. Progress includes, but is not limited to:

1. nose alignment
2. push bar (sanded/painted to perfection - this thing looks like jewelry!!) installed
3. headliner finished (glass can finally go in!)
4. chrome trim all installed
5. R/T emblem on tail panel installed (correctly this time, not pushed into place and bent tabs to hold it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQhbSApoRE

jb666

Not a lot of pictures this week... I had a busy schedule and didn't have a ton of time.. But here goes:

Nose shot... There was actually another hour of adjusting AFTER this show was taken, but I didn't take any more pictures. Remember here, these are NOT OEM panels, they are AMD, so they are not ever going to be 100% perfect.

Steve P.

Quote from: jb666 on September 03, 2009, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: chargergirl on September 03, 2009, 06:59:57 AM

Thank you! I am too, believe me  :cheers: :cheers:

Im 20, college, and full time working...if this ever happened to me i seriously think it would be the end of this hobby for myself for a long long time. I couldn't stand seeing that and that's the reason why ill drive 4 hours out of NY to get my car done.

Frank -- You definitely made the right choice and will be very happy!!

Quote from: captnsim on September 01, 2009, 11:27:54 PM

Thanks man!!  :cheers:

I thought about it, but decided to let the "anniversary" go by without a visit to the ER.  :2thumbs:

You KNOW we need a bit of comic relief around here sometimes....   

Captnsim:  Yes, I have been told I have a very SPECIAL way with words. Hahaha... Glad you liked it.. I giggled for a while after posting that myself...  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TA70455

Hey Jeff, first off the General looks awesome! But I see your comment about the AMD parts, and let me say that anyone that really knows how cars of this era were built knows that the fit and finish was not all that great. Sure there were some that were nice, but for the most part you had cars with huge panels being assembled by humans not robots like today. These are not Lexus' they are Big cars and I can pretty much assure your panels fit better than new! so don't worry about it.  ttyl Chris