News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a General Lee? STAY AWAY FROM BK AUTO!! It's almost over!!!

Started by jb666, November 15, 2008, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

That sounds like some alternators and starters from Advanced auto. I found sand in the box and found out it was blasted and painted and sent back to the states as rebuilt  ::)
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on November 16, 2009, 12:57:56 PM
:scratchchin:   Soooooo,  any idea how much the shipping will be for the HEMI ?  I would like to have it before March if it's possible.   :2thumbs:   Thanks Jeff.    :cheers:

Chuck I'm waiting for a quote to come back from UPS on the shipping.. I'd hate to mis-quote you.

Quote from: The70RT on November 16, 2009, 02:22:13 PM
That sounds like some alternators and starters from Advanced auto. I found sand in the box and found out it was blasted and painted and sent back to the states as rebuilt  ::)

Yeah, I agree.. The guy who's rebuilding alternator #2 said that the rotor was an original from 1969.. Nice to find that in a freakin' $400 alternator  :slap:

MoparManJim

Quote from: jb666 on November 16, 2009, 06:58:58 PM
Quote from: skip68 on November 16, 2009, 12:57:56 PM
:scratchchin:   Soooooo,  any idea how much the shipping will be for the HEMI ?  I would like to have it before March if it's possible.   :2thumbs:   Thanks Jeff.    :cheers:

Chuck I'm waiting for a quote to come back from UPS on the shipping.. I'd hate to mis-quote you.

Boy, I would hate to see that quote!  :scared:  :lol: 

Quote from: The70RT on November 16, 2009, 02:22:13 PM

Yeah, I agree.. The guy who's rebuilding alternator #2 said that the rotor was an original from 1969.. Nice to find that in a freakin' $400 alternator  :slap:
[/quote] 

I agree with both of you on this, I bought one about 8 years ago, was pose to be brand new to find out it was a rebuilt one  ::). So I know how you both feel on that.

dkn1997

Honestly, I haven't looked back over the thread to see what alt you have, but I highly recommend updating to a modern alt, not just a high amp version of a stocker in a shiny case.  all the amps in the world aren't going to help a stock type 60's/70's alt charge well at idle.  plus you are guaranteed to get new parts with a new alt for a newer car...or at least parts that are not as old.

check out the one I did years ago.  it's a 130 amp denso and it's dual field, externally regulated like your stock alt.  mine went right into my stock 440 brackets.  had to cut one spacer down a bit.  I did this 7 years ago and it's one of the best mods I ever did. 

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61642
RECHRGED

jb666

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 18, 2009, 05:13:44 PM
Honestly, I haven't looked back over the thread to see what alt you have, but I highly recommend updating to a modern alt, not just a high amp version of a stocker in a shiny case.  all the amps in the world aren't going to help a stock type 60's/70's alt charge well at idle.  plus you are guaranteed to get new parts with a new alt for a newer car...or at least parts that are not as old.

check out the one I did years ago.  it's a 130 amp denso and it's dual field, externally regulated like your stock alt.  mine went right into my stock 440 brackets.  had to cut one spacer down a bit.  I did this 7 years ago and it's one of the best mods I ever did. 

I was considering that (and still may), but right now I needed something that fit right into place so I could get some road time.. I have all after market brackets/pulleys... One thing that sucks is the new alternator that just arrived has the regulator on the back side.. It is up against the motor when it's installed properly, so that'll have to be relocated...  Odd because alternator #1 that came from Summit had the regulator on the side.. Oh well.

The funniest part is when I was putting the alternator in I decided to check the bolts holding the rest of the brackets in place (hex head) and they were all finger tight.. What's odd about this? THE CAR IS CURSED because they were all tight two weeks ago!!!!!!! Time for some LocTite.

MoparManJim

Well, the car is either cursed by the place down south. Just when you think you got everything on that car fix something always comes up on that car not working right all a sudden. I'm starting to think like you that, that car is cursed by BK. I hope you get all the bugs ironed out of it though. Good luck at it.

Quote from: jb666 on November 18, 2009, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on November 18, 2009, 05:13:44 PM
Honestly, I haven't looked back over the thread to see what alt you have, but I highly recommend updating to a modern alt, not just a high amp version of a stocker in a shiny case.  all the amps in the world aren't going to help a stock type 60's/70's alt charge well at idle.  plus you are guaranteed to get new parts with a new alt for a newer car...or at least parts that are not as old.

check out the one I did years ago.  it's a 130 amp denso and it's dual field, externally regulated like your stock alt.  mine went right into my stock 440 brackets.  had to cut one spacer down a bit.  I did this 7 years ago and it's one of the best mods I ever did.  

I was considering that (and still may), but right now I needed something that fit right into place so I could get some road time.. I have all after market brackets/pulleys... One thing that sucks is the new alternator that just arrived has the regulator on the back side.. It is up against the motor when it's installed properly, so that'll have to be relocated...  Odd because alternator #1 that came from Summit had the regulator on the side.. Oh well.

The funniest part is when I was putting the alternator in I decided to check the bolts holding the rest of the brackets in place (hex head) and they were all finger tight.. What's odd about this? THE CAR IS CURSED because they were all tight two weeks ago!!!!!!! Time for some LocTite.

skip68

when I was putting the alternator in I decided to check the bolts
[/quote]

:o  You work on your own car ? ? ? ?    :o :o :o :o :o
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on November 19, 2009, 12:30:54 AM

:o  You work on your own car ? ? ? ?    :o :o :o :o :o

This coming from a guy who had to have his motor rebuilt after trying to change some spark plugs  :hah: My advice to you is to NOT work on your own car  :lol: :slap:

It's ok , Chuckie, I expect some crap outa you, especially since I gave the Hemi to Frank  :cheers: :cheers:

Now go back under your rock!!

And I'll have a couple of last minute cool additions to the car before it gets tucked away for the winter.. Stay tuned.  :popcrn:

FLG

:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the Hemi Jeff. I will be picking it up this weekend, Mike you can bring the pumpkin too  :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

jb666

Quote from: FLG on November 19, 2009, 07:00:21 PM

Thanks for the Hemi Jeff. I will be picking it up this weekend, Mike you can bring the pumpkin too  :2thumbs:

No problem Frank. Thanks for not being a pesky jackass like some people.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 19, 2009, 07:05:41 PM
I'm all over it.  ::)

Ya know..... That ::) dude to me is like one of my teenage daughter's saying "WHATEVER, Dad!!"  :brickwall:

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jb666 on November 19, 2009, 07:03:13 PM

No problem Frank. Thanks for not being a pesky jackass like some people.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Well....I have a feeling a growing man will cry tonight (Chuckie) :smilielol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

jb666

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 19, 2009, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: jb666 on November 19, 2009, 07:03:13 PM

Well....I have a feeling a growing man will cry tonight (Chuckie) :smilielol:

:smilielol: Chuckie putting some weight on these days??  :rofl:

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 19, 2009, 07:09:52 PM
No guessing with that emoticon.  ::) :icon_smile_cool: :yesnod:

:'(

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

:'(   So, that's how it is huh ?   I never had to have my engine rebuilt.  :slap:  Not yet.   In fact, I even put in the msd6al box myself without a fire.   I read Mikes thread on his 7al install and some others and got it done.  I do have a small electical issue now that has got me stumped since the box.  It seems like my voltage is all over (up & down) since I put in the box.    :shruggy:   

P.S.  Enjoy the HEMI Frank you big fat POOP !    :nana:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mikepmcs

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on November 19, 2009, 07:31:07 PM
:'(   So, that's how it is huh ?   I never had to have my engine rebuilt.  :slap:  Not yet.   In fact, I even put in the msd6al box myself without a fire.   I read Mikes thread on his 7al install and some others and got it done.  I do have a small electical issue now that has got me stumped since the box.  It seems like my voltage is all over (up & down) since I put in the box.    :shruggy:   

P.S.  Enjoy the HEMI Frank you big fat POOP !    :nana:

I do recall you doing SOMETHING and Mrs Skip giving you a load of crap cause you busted your car up.. The details are a bit foggy. But, like peeing in the wind, it'll come back to me.

Steve P.

Hey CHUCK, weren't you an electrician by trade?? ?? ??    :icon_smile_blackeye:

You can get the wiring schematic on line from MSD.

Jeff, the MAD ELECTRICAL stuff is worth the read. Maybe once you've put the car away and get itchy thinking about a nice warm day of cruising....  Hahaha.......
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

That's the sad thing, I do know electrical.   :smilielol:   Just not automotive.   :rofl:   I have it wired correct and it works great but it's back feeding somehow in the ignition.   Jeff, which time did I mess something up?   :rofl: Was it the distributor, tranny, waterpump, tranny lines, carb, fan, heater hoses, speedo cable, exhaust, kick down linkage, block sanding, turn signal switch, U-joint caps, fuel line, shifting linkage, shifter, rocker adjusting, bad steering box mistake, carpet kit,   :shruggy: :rofl:    I can go on and on.   You see Jeff, this is how you learn.    VegasMike calls me "Tink" because I keep messing with stuff and screw it up. 

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on November 19, 2009, 09:23:28 PM
That's the sad thing, I do know electrical.   :smilielol:   Just not automotive.   :rofl:   I have it wired correct and it works great but it's back feeding somehow in the ignition.   Jeff, which time did I mess something up?   :rofl: Was it the distributor, tranny, waterpump, tranny lines, carb, fan, heater hoses, speedo cable, exhaust, kick down linkage, block sanding, turn signal switch, U-joint caps, fuel line, shifting linkage, shifter, rocker adjusting, bad steering box mistake, carpet kit,   :shruggy: :rofl:    I can go on and on.   You see Jeff, this is how you learn.    VegasMike calls me "Tink" because I keep messing with stuff and screw it up. 

It's all good, Chuckie.. You're a lot braver than me. I respect the fact that you'll dig into a lot of that.. When I was younger, that stuff was never a problem, but I've turned into a lazy dependent person in my days  :rofl: I think it's the fact that I've been left stranded by so many of my "repairs" that it's just cheaper (tow, second fix, etc..) and easier to pay someone to do it!!!  :hah:

I knew you were an electrical mad man.. That's an awesome trade  :cheers:

skip68

The block sanding was stupid.   I kept reading and had some guys tell me that I have to do the block sanding before the paint or it will look like crap.    :flame:   So I did.  Before it went to paint I spent about 7 or 8 hours sanding my engine block.  :shruggy:  After the car was painted the body still looked like crap POOP.    :flame:   That whole block sanding stuff did nothing for the body.   ;)

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on November 19, 2009, 09:31:32 PM
The block sanding was stupid.   I kept reading and had some guys tell me that I have to do the block sanding before the paint or it will look like crap.    :flame:   So I did.  Before it went to paint I spent about 7 or 8 hours sanding my engine block.  :shruggy:  After the car was painted the body still looked like crap POOP.    :flame:   That whole block sanding stuff did nothing for the body.   ;)

You should contact Thomas Schubert and ask him for some tips. He block sanded my rolling wad of Bondo to a laser straight image of perfection..... He could train you, for a small fee.

Come on, don't be cheap.

skip68

:rofl:   By the way Jeff, Thomas said to tell you hi.    ;)    He can't tell you directly because his attorney said no more contact and the slander papers are just about ready.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: