News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winter time

Started by GN, November 16, 2008, 05:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

Will starting my 74 Charger several times a month and letting it idle for a while be ok for the winter?

mikepmcs

you could just roll it over by hand a couple times a month to keep everything moving.  If you start it make sure you get it good and warm.  You don't want condensation pooling in the exhaust. :Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 16, 2008, 05:49:37 PM
You don't want condensation pooling in the exhaust.

... or inside the engine block, valve covers, cylinder heads, etc. etc.  I've seen the after-effects of this first hand.  The oil and water mixture left on the inside of the valve covers looks about like snot.  Not a very pretty picture, believe me.

Mike is right - if you're going to start the engine up, let it run for 15 minutes or so to get it all the way up to operating temperature.  This will drive out all of the condensation/moisture from the crankcase as well as the exhaust.