News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cooked! - UPDATE

Started by 471_Magnum, October 29, 2005, 07:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

Some have you guys may be aware that I've been having some electrical problems that resulted in replacing the dash harne$$:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4055.msg48447.html#msg48447

Harness needed replacing, but I never found anything conclusive with regards to the meltdown. Anyway, spent the money, installed the harness and all was well for a couple of days.

Then it struck again. Driving home Thursday, the stereo cuts out a couple of times then the engine dies. I get a puff of smoke from under the dash. All the gauges are still working. The alternator gauge barely flickered during the whole ordeal.

I get the car off the road, pop the hood and see the insulation cooked off the fusible link, but the wire didn't burn through. Alternator wire is cooked too. I still have juice to the accessories.

Against my better judgement, I tape up the link and try to start the car. To my surprise, it starts, so I high tail it home.

As soon as I get home I disconnect the battery.

Upon further inspection the dash harness looks okay. No sign of where anything shorted. Bulk head connector isn't melted. No fuses blew. All cooking took place under the hood.

I can't find a short anywhere!! I'm not just going to install a new engine harness without figuring out what caused this mess, but so far, everything checks out okay. My next step is to pull the instrument panel and dive in deeper, but I doubt I'm going to find anything.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

You aren't running the stock alternator are you?

471_Magnum

Nope. Late model 60 amp dual field. Got one field grounded. Going to upgrade the new harness for the later regulator.

Been running this set up for several years with no problem (other than "lifetime" alternators wearing out).

My field wire cooked along with the power feed this last time. What could that mean?
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

71_deputy

ouch!!! looks like a tough one-
question # 1- what acc's do you have???

this will only happen when it is running!! right?

so we need to look for a ing/acc trouble.

most small acc's will only cause it's fuse to blow!!  larger current will only do in the fusable link.
power windows, fan, headlight switch- yes- the switch itself can ground out internally causing as short.

since you have replaced the dash harness-that rules out the wiring there.

two cents
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

471_Magnum

I'm running and aftermarket ignition, and I have it wired right off the alternator.

Only accessory I was running at the time was the stereo and heater. Stereo is wired directly off the battery. Didn't notice any fluctuation in blower motor speed, but that's another place to look. Hmmm.

Running relays to the headlamps.Those weren't in use at the time.

471_Magnum

Removed my alternator last night to have it checked. Here's what I found:

Is this the cause or just more collateral damage?

Ghoste

Well, I'd guess the missing diode is the cause of your other problems.  What made it pull a fade?

471_Magnum

I exchanged the alternator for yet another "lifetime" piece.

I'm debating whether to install it, or put it on the shelf and spend $100 on something better.

Ghoste

Might as well put it on.  Have you been buying these all at the same place?

471_Magnum

These are all "Palladium" alternators from Advance Auto Parts.

Thinking about getting a Powermaster, but I'm not sure what, if any, extra insurance that gets me.

Ghoste

I don't either.  You don't have a good old fashioned auto electric guy in town who can rebuild it for you?

Nacho-RT74

replace the diodes is a lot easy... just unbolt the case. Front case will be removed with rotor on it. You will be able to see the stator wires on diodes studs ( with 3 3/8" nuts ). remove them to remove the stator.

Diode missing is on the positive bank of diodes, so you need to remove also the nut on exterior big stud ( 7/16" )where heavy black wire bolts, also condenser inside the alternator.

MAYBE, negative bank of diodes terminals are overlaping the positive ones, so if this is real then you need remove the negative bank... piece of cake,. just remove the 4 bolts on exterior of rear case ( top of pic you can see them ).

Join all the parts is also piece of cake but you need:
-grease on rear bearing.
-Remove brushes...they have to be installed after alt is completelly joined.
-be sure that stator wires won't be in middle of rotor way when you bolt them on to diodes studs.

and check outside the car:
-continuity between brushes ( 5-10 Ohms )
-no continuity between chassis and/or any of brushes.
-no continuity between stud and chassis.
-no weird noises when you spins the alt pulley/rotor.

Piece of cake.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

BTW!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT MELTED RED WIRE ?!!! on double field alt only must be three wires, blue and green to brushes, and black to ammeter.

and almosst forgett this: I see a lot hard that a missed diode will cook any part of electricity net. with a missed diode you won't have enough juice to charge, but not cook a wire. You can have also a higher voltage output, but not a higher amperes output as far I know.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

471_Magnum

Alternator was a "lifetime" warranty piece, so I just exchanged it. Not going to screw around with rebuilding it.

Red wire was used to ground one field as have a '69 that was not originally equipped with a dual field alternator. As stated above, my new engine harness is set up for a dual field and I will be using the later style regulator.

Nacho-RT74

It was easier replace the isolator washer on to brush assembly with a metallic washer ;)

Ghoste

Man, I never thought of that!  I'm grounding out one field too but I'm going to do the washer thing.  Thanks Nacho.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on November 13, 2005, 11:06:08 AM
It was easier replace the isolator washer on to brush assembly with a metallic washer ;)

That IS a good idea, but now a moot point for me since I have a '70-later style regulator.

I just finished putting it all back together. The baby is asleep, so unless I want to incurr the wrathe of mom and child both, I need to wait a couple hours to fire it up.

Got plenty of cleaning up to do in the garage anyway.

471_Magnum

Well I got it up and running. Nothing burnt-up while it was idling in the garage.

Unfortunately, I've got a leak on my fuel line that prevented me from taking a test drive. :( I've got a bad fitting that I'll need to replace. I'll pick one up tomorrow and hopefully put this little project to bed.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 471_Magnum on November 10, 2005, 08:41:58 PM

Thinking about getting a Powermaster, but I'm not sure what, if any, extra insurance that gets me.

I did the chrome powermaster thing 3 years ago and it still works great.   That may or may not be saying something but I think you've had several of these remans gone bad now.   Try the dual field regulator and see what happens.

Hope it's resolved soon..  Good luck!!!   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

471_Magnum

Got it going tonight... just in time for weather to turn cold.