News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ignition switch... '69 vs pre-'69

Started by 471_Magnum, October 29, 2005, 07:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

What's the difference between the '69 and pre-'69 ignition switches?

I know they are similar, but one has an extra pole on it. I don't have a '68 switch or diagram to compare with my '69.

'69 switches are one year only items, and therefore very hard to find. Meanwhile you can still get new pre-'69 switches. Just wondering if a pre-'69 switch can be made to work on a '69.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Ghoste

I thought it was something to do with them being shorter in 69?

John_Kunkel

'69 on right, pre-'69 on left. The '69 switch has an added terminal labeled "G"; this terminal grounds with the switch in the Start position to test the warning lights.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

471_Magnum

Guess that rules out installing an earlier switch in a '69. :(
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Troy

Hmmmm, that pic looks mighty familiar... :D

Notice the diameter of the switches as well. It is much easier to fit a pre-69 switch into the dash of a 69 than it is to get a 69 switch into an earlier dash. I have heard that some people fashion some sort of adapter plate to make the earlier switch work but I've found that there just doesn't seem to be enough demand to bother with making/selling them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Troy on October 30, 2005, 07:40:45 PM

Did I pirate that one from you? I've got so many archived I forget where they come from.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 31, 2005, 03:38:49 PM
Quote from: Troy on October 30, 2005, 07:40:45 PM

Did I pirate that one from you? I've got so many archived I forget where they come from.

Yep, I was just looking through those the other day for something else. Of course, I have a few thousand pics that I don't know the origin of as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

I thought all pics posted here became public domain.
So what do you 69 guys do for switches?  Just pay inflated e-bay NOS prices?

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on November 01, 2005, 04:57:11 AM
I thought all pics posted here became public domain.
So what do you 69 guys do for switches?  Just pay inflated e-bay NOS prices?

Not me, you can buy some from Troy (if he has any left) or whenever you see one in the salvage yard, grab it, which is where I have gotten my collection from.