News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Farce and Furious Charger?

Started by Truebelieverone, November 18, 2008, 07:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truebelieverone

My dad took these pics at the Hawthorne Airport in LA today. He called me and explained to me that the car had a fake blower set up on top of a big block intake attached to the underside of the hood but he could see the 318 below it. He said they were using it for filming so I could only guess this is the car that will appear in the next F&F movie.

dukeboys77

Drache

Same car, I'd recognize that "screen door" grille anyplace!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Brock Samson

it's back from SEMA where i posted pics last week...

69charger2002

am i the only one that kinda digs the primer/painted bumper in front? tones the 70 down a little bit from the huge fish mouth wrap around, which was my least favorite characteristic.. looks pretty bad ass with the painted bumper and in primer.. i do prefer the original grill though.. the mesh is too 80's silverado/s-10ish
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Drache

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 18, 2008, 08:03:41 PM
am i the only one that kinda digs the primer/painted bumper in front? tones the 70 down a little bit from the huge fish mouth wrap around, which was my least favorite characteristic.. looks pretty bad ass with the painted bumper and in primer.. i do prefer the original grill though.. the mesh is too 80's silverado/s-10ish

One of my favorite 3rd gens is with a painted body and I love the flat black/primer look! Personally it looks more bad ass, sort of like its from the era when money was put under the hoods of cars rather than paint because they were driven hard!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

72Charger400

Hope the story ends better for this '70  :flame: :flame: :flame:
1972 Dodge Charger 400 C.i
1964 Dodge Polara

CB

:iagree:
Yep I am with you :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

SRT-440

Yea, the painted bumper looks a LOT better..and even gives it a '68 hint. The blower is a good fake looks real.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Blown70

Ok, I thought on this one they were making the supercharger functional with BDS efi? 

I like the look of that grille, for some reason....  :shruggy:

Mike DC

It's funny that people may like the blacked out stuff and the mesh grille better. 

I'd just about guarantee you that at least the grille meshes were done to avoid having to find decent 1970 Charger parts.  Maybe the painted bumper too.  In the pics of the busted-up Charger from the set, the bumper itself was obviousy made of fiberglass. 

-------------------------------------------------------

I can see why the crew might not want real blower motors on most of the cars.  Aside from just the money, blower motors are probably gonna be harder to tune & deal with than a regular stock V8. 

And what does a blower assembly like that add to the weight of the motor?  Gotta be at good 70-80 pounds I would guess?  Movie stunt crews are already sometimes switching to smallblocks for motor weight issues.  A blown big block like a Hemi would throw the balance of the car all to hell.  It would even be a danger to rip loose from the K-frame mounts if you get the car in the air at all.

But, the blower being another dummy that's bolted to the hood?  That's inexcusable at this point IMHO. 

The fake blower was criticised in the first film.  Even non-car-guys sometimes noticed it.  With the "Mad Max" interceptor, they at least had the sense to attach the fake blower casing onto the motor instead of the hood.  The vibrating motor through the hole in the hood really helps sell the illusion.

speedfreak68

I think that thing is sweet looking!! fake blower and all...lol

Drache

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 19, 2008, 10:44:46 AM
With the "Mad Max" interceptor, they at least had the sense to attach the fake blower casing onto the motor instead of the hood.  The vibrating motor through the hole in the hood really helps sell the illusion.

In the madmax movies the belt actually turned because it was hooked up to the engine to make it look even that more real!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Blown70

And what does a blower assembly like that add to the weight of the motor?  Gotta be at good 70-80 pounds I would guess?  Movie stunt crews are already sometimes switching to smallblocks for motor weight issues.  A blown big block like a Hemi would throw the balance of the car all to hell.  It would even be a danger to rip loose from the K-frame mounts if you get the car in the air at all.

Depends on the supercharger (size and rotor), but if you want to add up all the parts Supercharger, injector hat, intake pullies, drives.... could be 140 lbs +.

Truebelieverone

Quote from: Drache on November 19, 2008, 12:49:53 PM
With the "Mad Max" interceptor, they at least had the sense to attach the fake blower casing onto the motor instead of the hood.  The vibrating motor through the hole in the hood really helps sell the illusion.

In the madmax movies the belt actually turned because it was hooked up to the engine to make it look even that more real!
He said the belt and pulley are functional on this one as well, being spun by the small block.

mikesbbody

:iagree: the primer looks cool i like the painted bumper but dont like the mesh grill  :brickwall: it would have looked much better with the hideaways  :Twocents: what does it matter? im sure they will wreck it anyway  :'(

69 OUR/TEA

Cool to see in the trailor they're using a GN to! :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Good, wreck that and let the Charger live.

Mike DC

My money says the Charger's still alive at the end of this one.  At least in character, if maybe not all the prop cars they use to film it with.

They killed the last one with no idea is was gonna be recieved as the coolest car from the whole movie.  It's become downright iconic. 

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Ghoste on November 20, 2008, 05:21:53 AM

:rotz: ,unfortunately they do.

bountyhunter

What size rims and wheels do you guys think this 70 has. I really like it's stance. Thanks for the help.

Blakcharger440

I dont like the painted bumper or the mesh grille. It ruins the front of the car. I betcha alot of 70 owners would agree.

tan top

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 03, 2009, 02:09:00 PM
I dont like the painted bumper or the mesh grille. It ruins the front of the car. I betcha alot of 70 owners would agree.

i agree ,  totally wrecks the look of the front end  :rotz:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Finn

Quote from: bountyhunter on January 03, 2009, 01:49:21 AM
What size rims and wheels do you guys think this 70 has. I really like it's stance. Thanks for the help.

It runs Coys and theyre at least 18s.
I have photos of whats left of it from my buddies movie ranch.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Finn

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 20, 2008, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 20, 2008, 05:21:53 AM

:rotz: ,unfortunately they do.

The green gran torino gets fubar'd as well.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L