News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What wires to use with headers?

Started by Wakko, July 28, 2005, 01:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

The Taylor Spiro Pro wires on my car seem less than idea with the headers.  I know Jacobs makes some with ceramic boots and Accel makes some with metal sleeving.   What wires work the best without burning off at the ends?  The boots are smooshed directly against the header right now (with some thin insulation between them) but I know it's not ideal that way.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Chryco Psycho

with the cheaper headers the Jacobs swith the ceramic ends will probably work best

CFMopar

What headers do you got? You could dent them for a bit of clearence. Or try shorty spark plugs. Send your taylors my way. I got to replace the boots on 2 of mine  :icon_smile:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Wakko

I have Hooker Competition long tubes, not sure of the primary diameter, but they're fat.  I like the idea of those Jacob ones, are they still thin enough diamater to clear properly?  I don't want to have to dent the tubes if I can help it.  You REALLY want blue wires on your car?  My entire underhood was covered in blue wireloom and blue wires...looked like a Smurf got caught in the fan blade.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

CFMopar

Nah not really. I allready got the taylor 8mm wires. Couple boots got burnt and order replacement boots already  :P

Ghoste

A smurf in the fan blade.  lol.  I'm going to remember that one.

Silver R/T

Ive got Blue max that ill be running with 2 TTI's
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Wakko

Any special temperature coatings on those?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Steve P.

Wakko, are you running Hooker Comps or Super Comps?? Also what heads?? Factory or aftermarket??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Wakko

906 heads with Hooker Comps.  The clearance really stinks.   I can shoot a picture tomorrow if it helps.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

CFMopar

Ive got hooker comps with 906's Like I said my blue taylors have been good. I burnt to boots but replaced them with the boots in the replacment kit and havent burnt them since.

Ghoste

I have the MSD wires on mine and I know a lot of people don't like those but I have to say that I've been happy with them so far.  Mine haven't burnt, but, they don't touch the headers anywhere.  They still seem to be holding up better than the Accel's I had on before though.

blue69

I have the Jacob's ceramic boot spark plugs on my 440 with my uncoated hooker competition headers. I think one of the tubes actually touches the boot and I have had no problems with them at all. The boots are good to 2000 degrees so they shouldn't melt. They are definately worth the extra price because they will last until the wires go bad from age. I used the 90 degree bends on all 8 plugs.

Mefirst

I use the MSD 8mm Heli-Core wires.. To what I know most aftermarket wire brands are ok, even Accel. The thing is to mount/route them so they dont touch the headers. I spent the most of one evening when I changed the wires, just to get them routed in the best possible way...

/Tom

Ghoste

That's kind of what I did too.  It looks like a rats nest when I open the hood but it was a form follows function thing in my case.  If one had to be extra long and routed goofy to clear the tubes, so be it.  The rest of the car is to ratty looking for me to worry about have nice and neatly routed plug wires.

firefighter3931

I like the MSD 8.5mm Superconductors with the flexible boots. Ā  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I couldn't find the flexible boots when I needed to change them or believe me, my car would have them too.