News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How Rare Are These Cars?

Started by 04lbram, October 30, 2005, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04lbram

Well, I know you guys have been facing some harder times in my life but, anyways I'm kind of an invester type of guy now. Anyways, I've been thinking of getting rid of my 04 Ram because mainly because its getting up in miles now and the newer Magnum Engines are throw away engines with just a life expectancy of only 100k to 150k miles. Second off, the resale values on these new trucks suck and before I get anymore miles like another 15k in another six months I'd rather have a backup car to drive and something that won't depreciate in value no matter the mileage as long as you can take care of it in addition that the motor can at least be rebuilt and be as reliable as my Ram hopefully.
Anyways, I stumbled upon a white 67 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible with what looks to be like a 383 2bbl with a 727. It looks to be in decent condition. Anyways, I'm just wondering what would be a good sales price on this car? Also how rare are they?

Headrope

I'll try to find an actual answer (have buddies that are appraisers) but would think any convertible that is in good shape after more than 30 years to be rare.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 04lbram on October 30, 2005, 12:37:32 PM
Well, I know you guys have been facing some harder times in my life but, anyways I'm kind of an invester type of guy now. Anyways, I've been thinking of getting rid of my 04 Ram because mainly because its getting up in miles now and the newer Magnum Engines are throw away engines with just a life expectancy of only 100k to 150k miles. Second off, the resale values on these new trucks suck and before I get anymore miles like another 15k in another six months I'd rather have a backup car to drive and something that won't depreciate in value no matter the mileage as long as you can take care of it in addition that the motor can at least be rebuilt and be as reliable as my Ram hopefully.

???

04lbram

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm a little confused about the ??? Todd.

BB1

My 92 Ram has 151,000. and runs like a dream.  ???
Delete my profile

694spdRT

The truth is your '04 Ram has probably already lost a large part of it's value already. How many miles are on it anyway. If it is anything above 15K per year your going to get a deduct. The first two years are always the biggest hits anyway. This is especially true with all of the employee pricing and discounts going on now. It just makes the used ones worth that much less so you might really lose if you try to get rid of it now.

BTW: Just last night I heard of an '04 Hemi Ram that has 165,000 miles on it. Its still going strong and uses no oil, so what are you hearing about engine problems?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

moparguy01

the magnum engines are pretty damn reliable actually. as long as you keep routine maintence up on them. I think thats what todd was hinting at.

89MOPAR

Who told you they are "throwaway " engines  with 100K-150K life expectancy ?

How can you expect a car to have no depreciation regardless of the miles put on it ?
You can bet $$ that if I look at a say- 68 charger with 120,000 miles on it.   And then I come back a year later, and the car is still for sale, looks the same, no more body or paint wear, and everything works as before, but it has 220K miles on it ..... for sure, I would pay less.

Good investor guys weigh the facts+ probabilities against the risks.

Fact- the Ram will be worth less $$  in two years.
Fact- the Ram still have the rest of it's 7/70 warranty if you don't go over the miles.
Probability- the Ram will be mostly trouble free in the next two years
Probability- the Polara will be worth the same or slightly more in 2 years [ if you put less than 10,000 miles on it]
Probability- The Polara will be broken down sometime within those 2 years leaving you stranded + paying for a taxi
Risk - you spend more money on truck payments and full coverage insurance with Ram
Risk - you have a hard time selling the Polara quickly if you need money right away
Risk - the Polara develops a leaky top, molds inside, and no girl wants to ride in a wet stinky car.

Why you would want 2 old cars , when you are about to get out of the military, don't know what job you can get, or where you will live- doesn't make sense to me.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

04lbram

Well, if it's not an investment then I'll pass and wait for a decent 3rd Gen Charger to show up but, I'll wait and see if the military decides to give me a medical discharge. As for the Ram it already has close to 40k miles on it and as far as what I heard, well its what I know from personal experience having owned a 2k Dakota with a 4.7L V8 in it but, it sludged up on me using Mobil 1. However, I bought it used so even then I don't know.
As for having two old cars, well I'm into older cars now. I prefer a Mopar and besides that I don't have any plans of getting married or anything like that because most females my age either have kids or so emotionally scarred from prior relationships they don't know how to take a nice guy like me. Besides that my g/f a long time ago that I believe was meant for me was killed in a car accident and these cars are escape in my life from my loneliness. I have no friends, no family, and all I have is myself. My life has been hell for a while now so these cars are an escape for me.
Anyways, as for getting out. Just remember I necessarily don't want to get out. I'm being forced out due to my health problems with my knee, back, and my heart. Well, anyways thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. Take care.