News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rhino lining

Started by a192074m, December 02, 2008, 01:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a192074m

I know that this question is WEEELLLL into the future of my '73, but has anybody Rhino lined the underbelly and or the engine compartment and have some pics to go along?? I dont plan on making my charger look like an origional.... I see mine as a black and chrome sweetie haha   

Finn

I did the bottom/trunk/inside of my 68 and personally, I love it. Ill try and get some pictures tomorrow evening. It's an easy enough process, looks great, and its tough as @$!#.  :D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Ghoste

There is a 69 Charger in the for sale section that had it done to the trunk floor.

bull

Mine's been done in the trunk and the interior floor. Personally I wouldn't do it in the engine compartment because that's not the look I'd want up there but to each his own.

a192074m

yeh thats true too but i think the engine compartment could look bad a$$ like that>> i know for sure i would want is the under belly and the inside of the cabin to be rhino'd>> nothing sucks worse than to lift up old carpet and finding out that the only thing keeping u in the cab is a bolt and damn good luck haha

Beer

I would not do the engine bay either...I did do the interior flooring and trunk as well as the underbody.

Engine Bay
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

hemi-hampton

For me I would not recommend it. People that do this never think of that day thay might want to remove it or take it off. Instead, I'm the guy restoring these & have to take it off. Not fun. If it goes on plan on it never coming off. Dont figure next year I think I'll over restore it with that painted undercarriage look. :brickwall: :brickwall: LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 02, 2008, 10:05:39 PM
For me I would not recommend it. People that do this never think of that day thay might want to remove it or take it off. Instead, I'm the guy restoring these & have to take it off. Not fun. If it goes on plan on it never coming off. Dont figure next year I think I'll over restore it with that painted undercarriage look. :brickwall: :brickwall: LEON.

Actually LEON you are just "one" of the guys who gets to reverse the trials of time made by others!!

But ,as for the question I also wouldn't recommend the bedliner stuff....Unless its prepped perfectly , it will trap a seam full of surface rust . The rust will eat through the steel before the bedliner.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Finn

:scratchchin:
Well if the surface was cleaned then primed or painted before the rhino liner the chances of rust would be very slim wouldn't it?
(Coming from a Cali climate ;D)
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

yeahitsgotahemi!

Yep, I like the bed liner. I used Raptor liner (U-POL). Great stuff, shake and spray. Not to worried about rust, I had the thing media blasted. I wont be restoring the places I already repaired in the future, so as far as removing, thats someone elses problem.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

The70RT

Unless your gonna drive it in the elements I would just paint the bottom body color. I'm not sure how fire resistant it is? As far a putting it inside the cabin or trunk why if your windows and weather strip is all new, water shouldn't be getting in anyway if it was restored correctly :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yeahitsgotahemi!

I'm planning on beating on this car, so yes it will get driven. The liner is simply more durable. In my case, I put it in the trunk becuase I like the texture and it breaks the green up. The stuff is a two part urethane, so its flame retardance is no more of a concern then that of the paint.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Finn

Quote from: yeahitsgotahemi! on December 03, 2008, 10:58:26 AM
I'm planning on beating on this car, so yes it will get driven. The liner is simply more durable.
:yesnod: Same here, I can totally see myself loading something into the trunk that I should have used the truck to pick up. Im also hoping it will muffle the "tin" sounds.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

knitz01

I was thinking of putting it in my back wheel wells and behind the back tire area, so when the stones are flying from my Dukes moves it won't chip the paint :lol:

a192074m

yeh i plan that once i get it all together to drive it without worrying about chipping the paint>> i figured that if ur gonna go with a complete teardown, might as well try to make it as much of a tank as possible.

lisiecki1

are there any real good places online to buy rhinoliner?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

a192074m

I duno... advance auto parts (which is not even a block away from me....boo yah!) sells Herculiner for like 50-60 bucks a gallon...i duno if thats a good deal

lisiecki1

is herculiner a single stage process or 2 stage?

a192074m

Im not sure>> ill haveta take a look when i go there next time

Hudson Hornet !

I am an auto body teacher at a Tech school, and we use the raptorliner on all sorts of projects. Great stuff. You can also buy tintable raptor liner to match your body color. Reduce the liner to get a smoother finish, and it looks great!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

lisiecki1

being that you're an auto body teacher and this is my first paint job (i have body experience though) could you pm me your recommendations for a great looking paint job?  i was thinking 3 coats base, 2 coats clear, but im unsure...

also, where can i find raptorliner....whats the best reducer for said raptorliner...

thanks in advance hudson.

Randy

Hudson Hornet !

Randy, I can't pm but feel free to e-mail me with any questions. dburt@vtc1.org   As far as raptor liner, you can cut it with a small amount of laquer thinner or dupont 7175 basecoat reducer.

Hudson Hornet !

Randy, never got your e-mail, want to re send it?

GT

Hudson... can you post some pics of what reduced raptorliner looks like?  I'd like to apply it but I hate that textured look.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Hudson Hornet !

Sorry, the Jeep I did that to is in another state now. But you can make it extremely thin and it will flow out nicely, but remember, the thinner it is the less protection the underside of the vehicle will have. If you can imagine the factory chipguard that is applied to new cars and then colored and cleared over, that is the look you can achieve with raptor liner. Hope this helps!