News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clutch linkage: is this right or rigged? Pic

Started by Wakko, July 28, 2005, 03:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

My clutch is always low due to this rod being out of adjustment.  The last nut is the only one that actually holds correctly on the rod, the second nut with sheetmetal base is loose and the lug nut lookin nut is way too big for this.  What's supposed to be CORRECT?  I think this will work and not be dangerous, but I'd like some other opinions. 

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger4404spd

Hmmm, mine has one split nut on it with a big washer. I used a new kit on mine and it only came with the one split nut, but seems to work well.

74ChargerDrummr

Guys, is that part the same as a "shift linkage?" That's what I was told that I needed to replace, and I'm going crazy looking for a "shift linkage." Thanks in advance!
"...try to run, try to hide, break on through to the other side..."

Chryco Psycho

the linkage should have a rubber plug in the fork & a large round washer to push against the rubber with 1 adjustment nut

tecmopar

Chryco is right about the rubber isolator and washer that has a "D" hole in it and the split friction nut. If you don't have the right nut you can install 2 regular ones, set the adjustment and then lock the nuts together so it stays put. Also a little different is the way I set my clutch adjustment and it has worked fine for many years. I have someone step on the clutch pedal and I measure the air gap between the disc and flywheel OR pressure plate. About .060 to .080 seems to be perfect and you wind up with about 3/4 to 1" of free play at the pedal. Good luck.

Wakko

Is the rubber isolator a specialty part or can I find something local to do the job?  I'll give Brewer's a call tomorrow.   As far as the airgap, I really don't know what you're talking about.  This is my first four speed car and the only knowledge I have it what I've read here and in my Charger resto book.  Where should I be measuring this air gap?
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

tecmopar

It may be cheaper to just buy a complete New fork rod kit because it comes with everything you need to freshen up this linkage area. I could have more clear on the air gap, what I mean is the clearance between the disc and PP or flywheel when some one steps on the clutch pedal for you. If you remove the inspection cover, look at the clutch and you'll see how everything is squeezed together, then have someone step on the pedal and you'll se how it spreads apart and releases the disc to create the clearance ( air gap ) so you can shift gears.

Wakko

Oh, I understand now.  I will definitely do that.  Give me an opportunity to examine my clutch condition.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM