News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remember when people bought new Muscle cars and left them outside?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, December 23, 2008, 04:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I guess people still do that.  Not something I expected to see on my way to work.
Kinda neat looking.  Nice color.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger Downunder

[/quote]

PocketThunder

I'm guessing some people buying are single guys living in an apartment or house with a couple roomates and there is no garage available. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

68charger383

To some people, its just a $40K car.

My car is made from sugar cubes, that is why it can't get wet.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

The OLD musclecars are still just $40K cars. 

We can choose to treat them differently from a modern $40K car if we want, but that's our decision.

TruckDriver

There is a guy down the street from me, who owns a real nice '71 Mustang coupe with Mach 1 graphics and Keystone classic mags on it that he is letting sit outside in his driveway all winter uncovered. :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

John_Kunkel

I've never lived in a house without a garage but in years past the garage was full of project car and the daily driver(s) sat outside, muscle car or not.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar2Ya

My '70 is always stored winters. My DD is not. When given the choice, nice car/truck or garage I'm going w/the car every time. You cant drive a garage. I'm sure we all would love a huge heated garage.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mopar2Ya link=topic=51855.msg566721# :icon_smile_msg566721 date=1230076279
My '70 is always stored winters. My DD is not. When given the choice, nice car/truck or garage I'm going w/the car every time. You cant drive a garage. I'm sure we all would love a huge heated garage.
What no humidifier?   :icon_smile_wink:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

In 35 years, guys will be looking back on this saying these guys were crazy, restorers will be begging for full quarters, and people will be turning SE's into SRT8's. :yesnod:

Ghoste

And whining about the good old days when gas was only 4 dollars a gallon and could be purchased anywhere.  ;D

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 23, 2008, 07:00:22 PM
Quote from: Mopar2Ya link=topic=51855.msg566721# :icon_smile_msg566721 date=1230076279
What no humidifier?   :icon_smile_wink:
Yes, in the heated garage maybe, but around here(NY) usually it's a dehumidifier you need more.  ;)  My '70 is in a relatively cool basement, so hopefully it's not to humid.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

69bronzeT5

I saw a grey '09 Challenger at a dealership today buried in snow.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Sublime/Sixpack

I think that nice new Challenger deserves a car cover.

I remember running snow tires on my first two muscle cars, they were daily drivers.  Would have to brush off the snow and scrape the windows in the mornings because I didn't have a garage.     Have a garage now but I still have to brush off snow and scrape windows because the daily driver still sets outside.  :shruggy:   There is never enough garage space.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Back N Black

Back in the day most muscle cars were daily drivers. There is a 09 Challenger driving around here in the snow.Its sad, all covered in road salt.  :rotz:

bull

There's a kid at work here that has that same scene out in front of his house. He begged, stole and borrowed to buy a base-model Challenger and now it's sitting in front of his roommate's house with 18 inches of snow on top of it. He's scared to drive it in all the snow around here because it's his baby. I can't say I blame him though because I know I'm probably going to be the same or worse about my Charger. That and we really got our butts kicked with all the snow this past week and driving around in a RWD car is probably not the best idea in this area. I'd say probably 90% of the people around here have never drivin in this much snow. They're saying it's the worst winter in 58 years here... and it's only December. :P

RallyeMike

QuoteIn 35 years, guys will be looking back on this saying these guys were crazy, restorers will be begging for full quarters, and people will be turning SE's into SRT8's.

You can drag 60's car out of the weeds and rebuild them in your garage. I don't think that will be happening to today's cars in 35 years. Cars are no longer designed to maintained or rebuilt by owners. With all the electronics, and what will be total lack of factory service and support by then (if there even is a Chrysler), none of the cars of today will still be on the road.

I'll bet you a quarter. PM me in 2043.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on December 24, 2008, 01:01:28 AM
There's a kid at work here that has that same scene out in front of his house. He begged, stole and borrowed to buy a base-model Challenger and now it's sitting in front of his roommate's house with 18 inches of snow on top of it. He's scared to drive it in all the snow around here because it's his baby. I can't say I blame him though because I know I'm probably going to be the same or worse about my Charger. That and we really got our butts kicked with all the snow this past week and driving around in a RWD car is probably not the best idea in this area. I'd say probably 90% of the people around here have never drivin in this much snow. They're saying it's the worst winter in 58 years here... and it's only December. :P
So much for global warming.  :shruggy:

General_01

I remember back in about '87 or '88 I bought a rusty '74 Charger as my DD. I drove that for one winter. Always parked outside because I lived in an apartment. The first car I bought that I did not drive in the winters was the '71 Bee. Bought that in '89.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

miller

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 24, 2008, 01:51:37 AM
QuoteIn 35 years, guys will be looking back on this saying these guys were crazy, restorers will be begging for full quarters, and people will be turning SE's into SRT8's.

You can drag 60's car out of the weeds and rebuild them in your garage. I don't think that will be happening to today's cars in 35 years. Cars are no longer designed to maintained or rebuilt by owners. With all the electronics, and what will be total lack of factory service and support by then (if there even is a Chrysler), none of the cars of today will still be on the road.

I'll bet you a quarter. PM me in 2043.

I don't know about that.... people are constantly fixing up SHOs... new wiring harness, new CPU... in 2043 the cars we drive today will be so stoneage that it will be no sweat to fix them up. People will say, "Well that Challenger SRT8 has one of those simple V8s in it, not a hydrogen fuel cell like we have now."

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Mike DC

These days there's one crucial difference from 40 years ago:  Modern cars actually have something resembling rust protection when they're built.

These cars may eventually get enthusiasts & restoration work, but IMHO it'll never be anything like what we're doing to save old Chargers now.  Modern cars will probably never end up so short on supplies of usable unibodies to rebuild like we have.  The panels will rust but not anywhere near as much, and the body alignment of everything will be MUCH better for the life of the car to further prevent the issue.

And even then, the price/feasibility of reproducing panels will probably only get cheaper for smaller production runs.  The future is not gonna be spending $1 million bucks to reproduce a single decent-sized sheetmetal panel anymore. 

Ghoste

Another point perhaps worth mentioning here is that the cars we enjoy restoring now and the new Challengers are both for the same demographic; nostalgic Baby Boomers.  In 35 years there likely won't be many Boomers trying to do this anymore.  Yes, there will be a handful of todays young guns still into it assuming parts and fuel are available but will there be enough to warrant reproduction parts?  Will there be the interchange with other vehicles that we enjoy now to keep them going?  I'm thinking not.

Brock Samson

well figgure a '68 Charger is 40 years old now, then adding 35 years to that it'll be 75 years old...
how many folks are currently into 75 year old cars?..  :lol:

Mopar440+6

To be honest, that picture doesn't even make me look twice. There is a huge difference in the way modern cars are built versus the way our beloved classics were built. Not just Mopars, but all classic cars. It's a testament to days gone by. Since most people only had one and if they were really lucky two cars, the classics were built simply and reliably. Those cars were built to be driven. They were built tough; they were built to be fixed, quickly and inexpensively. This is the reason they are still around today.

Modern vehicles on the other hand are not. The average American gets a new car every 7 years. Most Americans have 3 or 4 cars in the driveway. When they are tired of the car they get rid of it. Modern cars are meant to be driven and tossed. In my mind modern cars are exactly what my dad has claimed for years, they are an appliance. Something to be used until it is no longer usable and thrown away. Granted there are those few modern cars that may someday be collectible and valuable. But the new Chargers and Challengers? Probably not.

In fact, I am considering purchasing an '09 or '10 Challenger after I graduate in the spring. And you know what? It will be the daily driver, if it gets me from point A to point B I will be satisfied. If I should be doing well and have the garage space, yes, I might keep the car inside but that would be more for convenience than continuance. However, there is a large chance that the car would sit in the driveway right next to the '96 Neon and I would feel no pain watching either be covered in rain, snow or ice. Cars have ceased to be an art form, an expression of who you are, they are simply mechanisms of transportation...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

TK73

My GT last week:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!