News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tire kickers and dreamers.....Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by *, November 01, 2005, 09:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I need to vent a little so please allow me to get my frustrations out.
For 3 years in a row I have had my car for sale at the end of the race season so I could try and buy another race more suitable for racing.
My car has always been priced fair for an R/T car with a numbers matching engine. But this has always drawn the tire kickers and dreamers out of the wood work so I thought I would price it higher this year by adding the stroker engine.
Once again, I am in the same rut. People saying they want the car and never respond back. This weekend I meet a guy who I thought was adult enough (about 50ish) and he said he wanted the car. Price was fair and because we were at the track he didn't have the cash on him for a down payment, so I took his word. He even called the next day to assure me he would get me the cash on Tuesday night (tonight).
Guess what??? No show, no answer on his phone, no nothing. So here I am again for the GD 1000th time cussing because people don't understand that this is a car for sale, not a fricken dream!
For any tire kickers out there.... Did I make myself clear?

Thanks, Jim.
RANT OFF

In memory of Craig Denham 2005
-------------------

firefighter3931

Jim, that car is yours forever...it won't leave   :devil: Just tweak it to make it what you want it to be. A set of   Indy ez's and a 440-3 intake with a 1050 dominator and she'll be over 700hp. There's lots of potential weight savings on that beast as well without hacking the car up....strip the interior, glass front end, heater box removal etc...High 9's in a 68 r/t would be very cool   :icon_smile_cool:   :yesnod:

Sorry about the tire kickers....that stinks !   :down:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

Can I make payments? I could probably swing $8.47 per week and I'll throw in a rusty Suburban... :D

I have decided that I wil have to keep anything that I buy for the rest of my life because I just don't have the patience/desire to sell to other people. I wish you the best of luck with the car though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mefirst

Jim.. You sell that car, you'll regret it the rest of your life.. Just build/modify it to what ever you want..

..and yes, I know about those "tire kickers" aswell, they just suck!

/Tom

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

TheGhost

You looking to add to your backyard Charger museum, Travis? :D
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

69charger2002

lol i'd LOVE to have that one ghost, but i don't have 20k outright to buy it. it's a sweet car, and truthfully, oe of the few green 68-70's i've ever liked on the site. maybe it's the hood and clean interior...
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bull

I suggest you go the Ebay route if you don't want to mess around this time. Advertising on a couple of free websites  isn't going to attract many serious buyers that don't already have a car. I remember you putting it up for sale the first time what, about three years ago? You were asking $15k and I could only come up with $13k and you were upset with the "tire-kickers" then too so I moved on.

Afturhrz

Maybe after 3 years of trying to sell it might indicate you are asking more than its worth? Im not trying to be a jerk but thats the first thing that comes to my mind. Alot of times its best to take a look at something and think a while on it especially when a lot of money is at stake.

inhrmswy

If you do sell it on ebay make sure to use the christina pictures...advertise it as "for sale all that you see here"   then in very small print at the very bottom add "except the girl, garage, etc..." 

Old Moparz

You can't sell it because it's green.     :D

Seriously though, tire kickers are a way of life. It doesn't stop with cars either, anything you advertise is subjected to waking up anything that lives under a rock. The only thing you can do to ease the annoyance, is expect it from the beginning. I recently advertised a few things locally, & one item that I thought would go quickly didn't, & brought out one strange guy who ate up a lot of my time. A simple ladder rack for a compact pick up truck with a cap. New it's $300 & this one was half. The guy calls & comes to look at it, says he has a full sized truck & will come back later with the truck to see if it will fit.

He never shows, never calls & I end up with no sale & put it away since the ad expired. Three weeks later, after I put it away behind some things in the garage, he drives up to see if it will fit. I drag it out, we place it over the truck bed & it's way too small. (Gee, I wonder why?) He goes on to tell me how he has a friend that welds & can cut it, modify it, change it & make it fit. I told him not to spend his money on it & that he's wasting his money & time, & should go find a full sized one that fits. He then tells me he can build one out of wood he already has & use that instead.   ::)  Maybe these people don't have any friends & all their family members hate them so they answer ads to socialize.

Anyone need a ladder rack?     ???
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

'CUDA360

Quote from: inhrmswy on November 02, 2005, 10:35:31 AM
If you do sell it on ebay make sure to use the christina pictures...advertise it as "for sale all that you see here"     then in very small print at the very bottom add "except the girl, garage, etc..."  

I agree   :yesnod:

That girl has Moxie !!!

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 02, 2005, 10:52:32 AM
You can't sell it because it's green.     :D

Seriously though, tire kickers are a way of life. It doesn't stop with cars either, anything you advertise is subjected to waking up anything that lives under a rock. The only thing you can do to ease the annoyance, is expect it from the beginning. I recently advertised a few things locally, & one item that I thought would go quickly didn't, & brought out one strange guy who ate up a lot of my time. A simple ladder rack for a compact pick up truck with a cap. New it's $300 & this one was half. The guy calls & comes to look at it, says he has a full sized truck & will come back later with the truck to see if it will fit.

He never shows, never calls & I end up with no sale & put it away since the ad expired. Three weeks later, after I put it away behind some things in the garage, he drives up to see if it will fit. I drag it out, we place it over the truck bed & it's way too small. (Gee, I wonder why?) He goes on to tell me how he has a friend that welds & can cut it, modify it, change it & make it fit. I told him not to spend his money on it & that he's wasting his money & time, & should go find a full sized one that fits. He then tells me he can build one out of wood he already has & use that instead.   ::)   Maybe these people don't have any friends & all their family members hate them so they answer ads to socialize.

Anyone need a ladder rack?     ???

So you're saying he wanted to buy the rack and you talked him out of it? ??? ??? Do you sell cars for Ford?

Quote from: Afturhrz on November 02, 2005, 10:32:02 AM
Maybe after 3 years of trying to sell it might indicate you are asking more than its worth? Im not trying to be a jerk but thats the first thing that comes to my mind. Alot of times its best to take a look at something and think a while on it especially when a lot of money is at stake.

You find a 68 Charger R/T that is as straight as an arrow, has the numbers matching engine, almost all of the original pieces to go back stock. Oh..... and throw in a extra 493" engine and a Dana 60 and all for $20,000. I think you would be searching for a long time or until you found someone so desperate to sell because of a crack habit.
-------------------

Old Moparz

Quote from: bull on November 02, 2005, 11:02:07 AM

So you're saying he wanted to buy the rack and you talked him out of it? ??? ??? Do you sell cars for Ford?

:icon_smile_big:   No, I'd hate to have a sales position, & I'd probably get fired for telling people how they can get a better deal elsewhere. (I did that once in college.)

I couldn't see this guy wasting his time or mine by thinking it over some more & coming back with his welding friend to reassess the rack. He'd probably want to measure it, test fit it, send out metal & paint samples, & who knows how many more times he'd show up in my driveway. He seemed harmless, but why bother convincing someone they need something they don't? I'd sleep better knowing he got something he can use for a fair price.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

gsmopar

You're going to feel bad if the "tire kicker" had some sort of accident and couldn't contact you.   Heck, he could have had a heart attack, car accident, family emergency, etc...   It's obvious that you're frustrated, but don't automatically think the worst of people.   The guy can't be all that bad if he has your same taste in cars...right?   ???

As for selling your car.   Don't do it!

Chris G.

hemi68charger

Tell ya what.. I'll trade ya a straight 318 Charger, ready for paint for the most part and you can do ANYTHING you wish and not feel guilty...... You can put that Dana and monster motor of yours in it.....  :)

Man, I feel ya...... Sucks when you're looking to get something else and either that "other" car never arrives or you find it and you don't have the cash in hand because noone's bought yours........  Good luck on the search..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Brock Samson

:o That Offer your makin is worth way more then $20K.  :P with all the hopeful Charger owners we got here lookin, one of them should snap it up pronto!  :yesnod:
but the same thing happened to me, remember the guy who offered me two grand over what i was askin,... thern never showed up,.. claimed he bought another one and showed up at the Mopar show in the sameratty ass  '78 Camaro?...
hid from me the entire show too,.. HA HA Ha...  :icon_smile_sleepy: funny cause he's like 6 foot 5 and weighs like 300 Lbs.. Hey buddy! I can't see ya' in your orange hunting vest...  ;)

BigBlackDodge

How bout a 1,000 dollar 'holding fee'................balance due in 24 hours or the moneys yours, that would weed out the tire kickers. ;D

Might as well get something from them for wasting your time! :icon_smile_angry:

20k looks like a steal to me also. :yesnod:

BBD

Afturhrz

I went back and looked at the ad again. First off its too wordy, after reading the listing and visiting the site its really hard to tell exactly what condition the car is in. Is it together? Is it apart? Try to be less informative in the ad and more direct as to what you are offering, I think that might help. Maybe the previous inquiries were only trying to figure out what condition the car is in. Once you have a potential buyer interested then you can fill them in with the details. The ad is not very clear. If its a project list it as one if its a complete running car then say so. This is to be helpful not critical.

70charginglizard

Im sorry your having a hard time Jim.
I personally think you should keep the car. It's totally awesome and unique to see at the track. Not too many people up in the northwest race 68 dodge chargers and it's going to be a sad day when your not there with it anymore (unless you sell it to someone local so I can still see it)
I know you gotta do what you gotta do and you really want that a-body race but it's still going to depress a lot of your friends here locally when you finally do sell it. Starting with me.  :-[
70charginglizard

Quote from: Afturhrz on November 02, 2005, 02:53:56 PM
I went back and looked at the ad again. First off its too wordy, after reading the listing and visiting the site its really hard to tell exactly what condition the car is in. Is it together? Is it apart? Try to be less informative in the ad and more direct as to what you are offering, I think that might help. Maybe the previous inquiries were only trying to figure out what condition the car is in. Once you have a potential buyer interested then you can fill them in with the details. The ad is not very clear. If its a project list it as one if its a complete running car then say so. This is to be helpful not critical.

The web site is just about my car over the years and what I had done to it. It is not by any means the information that sells the car only my ad has that and it has all the information that a prospective buyer might need. If they are real serious then they can email me or call for details.
I would have to say that 75% os the people who have contacted me have already seen the car.
-------------------

RECHRGD

When I read your ad, I took it that it would cost more than 20K to keep the race engine and stuff.  If your selling it as it sits AND throwing in the original engine and tranny then you should have no problem selling.  In fact I just called the wife about it.  She's not real excited after all the money I spent on RECHRGD this year.  Bad Timing.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

bull

I thought you said the 493 and Dana were extra but you could get the stock engine and axle with the car for $20k? Regardless I can tell you exactly what your problem is.

First off the price is too low. You're not attracting the right people. You're attracting people who might be able to come up with $17k in a month if they sold their Pokemon collection and begged for cash from all their relatives. The car should be listed for around $35k and you should expect lesser offers because that's the way 90% of people buy cars.

Second, you should decide if you're selling a race car or a #s matching street beast. Either pull the roll cage, engine and Dana and put it all back together as stock and sell it that way or don't even mention the fact that you'll do all this converting depending on what they buyer wants, that's their problem. If you want the engine keep the engine and put the 440 back in. I wouldn't want someone I don't know in a hurry stuffing an engine into a car for me at the last minute. Whether you would be sloppy or not people assume and people are paranoid. Would you want someone selling you a car knowing they are going to drop a 440 in real quick before you change your mind?

Third, follow Chris' advice and put the thing on Ebay. Whether it sells or not it shows people on the websites that you mean business. Jack your reserve through the roof and then negotiate the final sale with the two highest bidders. People will fart around forever with for sale ads if you let them but once the car goes on Ebay they know it's too late to goof around.