News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lowest mile 440 today?

Started by 73 Charger 440, July 28, 2005, 07:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73 Charger 440

Hey guys,

I know I dont post much, but Id like to know what are the lowest mile 440s (original) around today (current miles of course)... The reason I ask is as some of you know I have the 440 "Police Special" thats been waiting to be put into my Charger, and the guy who pulled the motor out of its original motorhome (they had to cut apart the entire motor home to get the motor out, so I doubt theres a question about it being the original motor) has been talking to my father about my Charger lately and brought up a few days ago that the motor was a real real low mileage motor... That made me curious, but I didnt bother asking more... He let my father know today that it only had 7000 miles on it. Thats 2 oil changes old!  :icon_smile_shock:

I always wondered why the motor on the outside looked untouched yet when I pulled the valve covers it looked brand new to me (I told everyone that), but just thought it was a rebuild at some point...

I just wanted to share... To me having a original 440 PS with 7000 miles on it is real awesome.

69charger2002

7000 miles is super cool. i picked up a 74 newport custom with 54000 miles on the  nose. that's pretty low mileage to me. original still ran when parked 3 years ago
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

73 Charger 440

I wish I could somehow prove it and possibly sell it, I could really use money now and Id rather see the low miles motor go into a car thats going to be restored to the best condition, you guys know what I mean? I would then buy myself a working 440. I just dont know if its somehow possible to prove the miles, maybe a real good eye can look at the motor and see? Who knows...

Edit: If anyone knows anyone thats interested in this, it has a 727 behind it...

69_500

I know of a 69 Dodge Daytona that is a 440 car that has I believe its 347 or 374 miles on the car. That is the honest origional miles on the car, as it is still owned by the origional owner.
Then there is a 440 4bbl 1970 Plymouth Superbird I recently saw for sale that had I believe 120 origional miles. Still had the plastic on the seats, and the origional window sticker still hanging in the window.
Those are the two lowest mileage 440 cars I've ever heard of. Now there was a T/A Challenger at Carlisle that only had like 147 miles on it. I also have seen a 69 Charger 500 HEMI car that had 180 origional miles on the car.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 07:29:36 PM
I know of a 69 Dodge Daytona that is a 440 car that has I believe its 347 or 374 miles on the car. That is the honest origional miles on the car, as it is still owned by the origional owner.
Then there is a 440 4bbl 1970 Plymouth Superbird I recently saw for sale that had I believe 120 origional miles. Still had the plastic on the seats, and the origional window sticker still hanging in the window.
Those are the two lowest mileage 440 cars I've ever heard of. Now there was a T/A Challenger at Carlisle that only had like 147 miles on it. I also have seen a 69 Charger 500 HEMI car that had 180 origional miles on the car.

So my motor wont make it on the top ten list? just kidding...

69_500

I'm not sure if it would be in the 10 lowest mileage 440's out there, but I would venture to say no. I would say that there are quite a few 440's out there that don't have even 1,000 miles on them.

73 Charger 440

Good point, but most of them are in $100,000 cars I would assume... I just dont see it as being easy to find this kinda motor though without trying, and most of those motors probally would be in cars which you wouldnt part...

Drache

There was a '69 Superbird that supposedly only had 1000 miles on it's 440 engine. It was a yellow '69 Superbird Survivor...
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

73 Charger 440

Any ideas guys? What would you guys do in my position?

69_500

A Yellow 69 Superbird with 100 miles? Not sure which is more amazing the car having 100 miles on it, or it being a 69 Superbird. Just kidding.
The car i'm talking about is a B5 blue 1970 Superbird, and it is in Colorado. The Daytona that I"m refering to is in Wisconsin. The 500 i'm talking about was in Kentucky as of 3 months ago.

Drache

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 07:58:39 PM
A Yellow 69 Superbird with 100 miles? Not sure which is more amazing the car having 100 miles on it, or it being a 69 Superbird. Just kidding.
The car i'm talking about is a B5 blue 1970 Superbird, and it is in Colorado. The Daytona that I"m refering to is in Wisconsin. The 500 i'm talking about was in Kentucky as of 3 months ago.

It supposedly had 1000 not 100. There was a huge debate on IF the car could truly be called a survivor or not... can't remember where I read this story.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69_500

Hmmm, now a Yellow Superbird with only 1,000 miles on it. That sounds like the Yellow one that was on ebay a few weeks back. I believer there was a debate on if it was a survivor on the Winged Warriors chat, at Moparstyle.com.

Telvis

I would go ahead and rebuild it. Prolly won't take much machine work. It's out of the car. Might as well start off fresh. Thats just my opininon. I would rather know for sure that my motor is good to go than to guess about it. Even if it does look good inside. My 383 had either 75K or 175K on it. I really don't know. It looked like new inside. I still rebuilt it once I had it out.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Telvis on July 28, 2005, 08:09:30 PM
I would go ahead and rebuild it. Prolly won't take much machine work. It's out of the car. Might as well start off fresh. Thats just my opininon. I would rather know for sure that my motor is good to go than to guess about it. Even if it does look good inside. My 383 had either 75K or 175K on it. I really don't know. It looked like new inside. I still rebuilt it once I had it out.

Well... Id kinda like to first see if I can sell it, dont want to put it on eBay though... I only got a little time before heading overseas (taking car and motor with me) so if anyone knows anyone whos looking for a original low miles 440 let me know.

69_500

Where are you heading with the car and the motor? You say overseas but where exactly.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 08:18:27 PM
Where are you heading with the car and the motor? You say overseas but where exactly.
Finland... Im in Florida right now.

69_500

Ah I see. Well I don't know of many low mileage cars over in Finland. I do know of a HEMI Daytona that is in England that doesn't have that many miles on it. I do believe that there is a 440/6 Superbird in England as well which only has like 7,000 miles on it.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 08:53:32 PM
Ah I see. Well I don't know of many low mileage cars over in Finland. I do know of a HEMI Daytona that is in England that doesn't have that many miles on it. I do believe that there is a 440/6 Superbird in England as well which only has like 7,000 miles on it.

Thanks, you guys dont think its sell-able though?

69_500

I don't think that you would get that much more for it than any other 440. In my opinion its not as desirable as other 440's. For one the year of the block, and for a second thing you said it came out of a motor home. Those engines are not vastly different than the HP blocks and such. But when people are shelling out big money for blocks its for specific date coded blocks, not necesarily how few miles they have on them.

73 Charger 440

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 08:56:19 PM
I don't think that you would get that much more for it than any other 440. In my opinion its not as desirable as other 440's. For one the year of the block, and for a second thing you said it came out of a motor home. Those engines are not vastly different than the HP blocks and such. But when people are shelling out big money for blocks its for specific date coded blocks, not necesarily how few miles they have on them.

Thanks for your opinion... I dont recall saying the year of the engine but its a 73. True that people want date coded and such, but where can you really find a low mileage complete 440? Thats what keeps coming to my mind... I mean its basically a "new" engine so, maybe Im just seeing it from a different angle. Owell, if nothing else then its going into the car.

69_500

I would say that the low mileage might help it a bit. However then again I would still tear it down and go through it before running it in my car. That is just me though. So in that case it wouldn't matter if the car had 7,000 miles or 97,000 I'd still tear it down and do a rebuild before trusting it.