News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Hesitation

Started by pb24, January 18, 2009, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

MY 68 charger with a 383 has a bad hesitation when talking off from a light or left turn lane. It happens under light throttle to were the car stalls and is hard to start. When you are cruising down the road and step on the throttle it runs fine.

I just changed over to electronic ignition and and running 18 degrees BTDC I think I have the timing dialing in and it had the hesitation before I changed the ignition over. I've checked the accelerator pump and I'm getting a good squirt out of it. I've checked for vacuum leaks and adjusted the the air/fuel mixture screws also when your cruising down the road under light throttle the car seems to have a slight surge to it. The engine is stock has far as i know any suggestions anyone might have would be helpful. Thanks

Musicman

Quote from: pb24 on January 18, 2009, 05:52:17 PM
MY 68 charger with a 383 has a bad hesitation when talking off from a light or left turn lane.

If it's acting up when you turn, you may want to check your float levels :scratchchin:

mikepmcs

agreed, do you have an extra carb or a buddy that will lend you one for about 10 minutes.  That would rule that out or id the problem.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pb24

It does it when you go straight or making a turn. What is the best way to check the float level. I wish I did have access to another carb.

Musicman

Quote from: pb24 on January 18, 2009, 07:02:19 PM
It does it when you go straight or making a turn.

Hesitation or stumbling on take off can be caused by a couple of different things...  but a problem with 1 or more float levels will cause both the problems that you have described. Checking the float levels will depend on the carb in question.

bordin34

Do you have a Holley Street Avenger Carb?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

pb24

I have a Carter carb. its not the original I'm not sure what model

pb24

I took the top of the carb off today and adjusted the float level. I went to the store about 7 miles away and the hesitation was much better but it still had a surge at lite throttle. On my way home was a differant story the hesitation was back and the surging became worse. Could the coil be heating up? The number stamped on the carb is HO 47349 can someone help me identify what carb this is?

mikepmcs

bad plug wires, plugs, etc????
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

68 RT

The surge means you could be running lean. Pull the pugs and check the color. If they are white or a very light brown you are leaning out.

Musicman

Quote from: pb24 on January 19, 2009, 07:46:37 PM
I took the top of the carb off today and adjusted the float level. I went to the store about 7 miles away and the hesitation was much better but it still had a surge at lite throttle.

Idle circuit is out of wack as well... running to lean or to rich... warm it up and reset the idle mixing screws correctly.

pb24

Do you screw the idle mixing in or out to make it more rich. I was taught you screw them in until in runs bad and then screw them in until you get the highest RPM.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: pb24 on January 19, 2009, 07:46:37 PM
The number stamped on the carb is HO 47349 can someone help me identify what carb this is?

4734 Carter AVS '70 383 A/T California. ECS
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

W4ATL

Quote from: pb24 on January 20, 2009, 06:51:07 PM
Do you screw the idle mixing in or out to make it more rich. I was taught you screw them in until in runs bad and then screw them in until you get the highest RPM.
Turn the screws out to make it more rich.

62 Max

Quote from: pb24 on January 18, 2009, 05:52:17 PM
MY 68 charger with a 383 has a bad hesitation when talking off from a light or left turn lane. It happens under light throttle to were the car stalls and is hard to start. When you are cruising down the road and step on the throttle it runs fine.

I just changed over to electronic ignition and and running 18 degrees BTDC I think I have the timing dialing in and it had the hesitation before I changed the ignition over. I've checked the accelerator pump and I'm getting a good squirt out of it. I've checked for vacuum leaks and adjusted the the air/fuel mixture screws also when your cruising down the road under light throttle the car seems to have a slight surge to it. The engine is stock has far as i know any suggestions anyone might have would be helpful. Thanks

My first question would be,was it alright before you changed the ignition? Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance and see what happens.Once you are out of the idle circut and cruising,the mixture screws are a moot point,

BlueSS454

The accelerator pump could slo be either bad or blocked up.  This was the case on the Holley 3310 I have on my car.  I took it apart the other night and found a piece of old carb gasket blocking one of the primary jets as well as the accelerator pump passage in the main body.  Flushed it, blew it out, put it back together and it's just fine now.
Tom Rightler

pb24

Thanks everybody for you help. I'm going to put a new coil on tonight and see if that does anything. I might have a carb I can borrow if the coil doesn't work.

pb24

Well Ive replaced the coil and it did not change anything. I was able to borrow a carb and put it in last night, It was dark and raining so i just took it for a small test drive and it still had the same problem. Tomorrow I'm going to play with the timing to see if it helps.

W4ATL

I would also change the spark plug wires. Cheap and easy to do. The insulation on one may be breaking down and shorting out.

pb24

I don't get it! I checked the plug wires and their good Iv been playing with the timing all day I changed the carb I made sure that the ECU had a good ground put still backfires through the carb at part throttle and smooths out when you nail it. Any suggestions

mikepmcs

moisture in the cap, bad cap, cam lobe wiped??

bordin34

Maybe your distributor is advancing weird.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

pb24

how many volts should you have going to the coil. I running a MP distrbutor with orange box.

68RRFlyer

Hey pb24, did you ever find the hesitation problem?  The stumbling you have at cruise is more than likely the result of too much timing.  Back off your timing a bit and see if that solves the "bucking" problem at cruise.  I had that and when I unplugged the advance it smoothed out at cruise so I knew I was waaaay over advanced.  Figured that out thanks to the forum!  :2thumbs:  On the hesitation problem off the line, does it backfire through the carb at all?  If it does, it's probably too lean.  Another common thing to cause hesitation is a vacuum leak.  Check all your fittings, carb gasket, and intake bolts, etc.  Sounds simple, but that's what caused mine!  Keep us posted! :popcrn:

Cheers  :cheers: 
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

acelondon

accelerator pump :Twocents:

i have a cartier 2bbl on my 318 did the same thing.
carb rebuild and problem was totally solved.