News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

real 1970 daytona for sale

Started by BigBlockSam, January 22, 2009, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I'm still shocked at the guy only getting 120k for the recently restored matching numbers hemi cuda at B-J this year. :shruggy:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

Again sponsored by Ford - Again - Quick gavels on our Mopes  :icon_smile_blackeye:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 29, 2009, 01:49:29 PM
I'm still shocked at the guy only getting 120k for the recently restored matching numbers hemi cuda at B-J this year. :shruggy:

The yellow one?

If so it was rumored to be a restamp and word got out.

Ghoste

Given the state of things, I don't find it a surprise at all.

hotrod98

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 29, 2009, 07:32:14 PM

The yellow one?

The way I see it, probably at least half of the supposedly matching numbers cars are bogus. There have been several instances where people that own so-called matching numbers cars have later found the true original block. We had a guy here locally that that used to bogus the date codes on the old hemi car blocks using bondo. It looked very convincing to me. You couldn't tell.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 29, 2009, 10:01:11 PM

The yellow one?

The way I see it, probably at least half of the supposedly matching numbers cars are bogus. There have been several instances where people that own so-called matching numbers cars have later found the true original block. We had a guy here locally that that used to bogus the date codes on the old hemi car blocks using bondo. It looked very convincing to me. You couldn't tell.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   I think restamps are way more common them we know or like.  greedy people  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69_500 on January 28, 2009, 07:00:35 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 28, 2009, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 28, 2009, 10:01:25 AM
During the peak it may have fetched more than that but these are different times. I can buy, right now, a fantastic original paint survivor '69 Charger R/T, Black with saddle, sunroof, loaded, loaded car for 65k. Maybe I should  :scratchchin:

Very nice looking car.
I'd give up my 500 for that car in heartbeat. Man I'm too eager to kick my car to the curb sometimes. But that is a nice looking ride, and RT/SE too boot. What was there 29 RT/SE with factory sunroofs?

Thats the color combo i'm torn between with with my original color combo.   :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

pettybird

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 29, 2009, 10:01:11 PM

The yellow one?

why use anything?  sand the pad flat with a grinder and a DA and stamp away.  hell--the right font is at Production Tool Supply. 

I've seen the stamps, and I've even smacked a VIN into a junk head just to see what it looks like.  the factory stamps are so bad you don't even need to do a good job!

hotrod98

Pre 68 blocks weren't stamped with the vin but the date code on the block had to be right. This guy I know would find a block with the correct date code, wax it up and make a cast of the date. Then he would grind the date off of the block that he was going to use and use the cast with resin to add a new date code onto the block. Then to make it look good, he would take bondo and harden it and then dab the block with the bondo on a shop rag. Paint it and you would never know the difference. I used to know what he used to make the cast but now I can't remember. Seems like he used clay and then would let the resin start to set up before pouring it into the clay. Then he would brush a little resin onto the block before applying the cast. It's been 30+ years so the memory ain't so great.
Anyway, I would never do this. I like sleeping at night.

Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

why use anything?  sand the pad flat with a grinder and a DA and stamp away.  hell--the right font is at Production Tool Supply. 

I've seen the stamps, and I've even smacked a VIN into a junk head just to see what it looks like.  the factory stamps are so bad you don't even need to do a good job!
[/quote]

Then you end up with a wavy pad with no cross-mill marks and that's assuming the casting date and assembly date on the properly machined top pad are ok as well. Good enough for the free bar, well healed patrons at B-J but not good enough for me. The Guru mis-diagnosed 5 out of 12 cars in one mans collection that he "inspected" earlier. Buyer beware. I just heard of someone else doing buildsheets today as well.....scum of the earth stuff in my mind.

BigBlockSam

QuotePre 68 blocks weren't stamped with the vin

even early 68 440 blocks aren't stamped with the vin .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Dodge Don on January 30, 2009, 09:29:45 PM
I just heard of someone else doing buildsheets today as well.....scum of the earth stuff in my

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Challenger-Barracuda-Charger-RT-BROADCAST-SHEET_W0QQitemZ150324169071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item150324169071&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I don't know if the numbers are all wrong for legal reasons or if the person is a woodchuck as well as a rotten thieving scum sucking pig ba*sta*d

Ghoste

He says he's doing it as a novelty only, why is there a problem?  :insertsarcasm:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2009, 10:11:33 PM
He says he's doing it as a novelty only, why is there a problem?  :insertsarcasm:

Good one!

hotrod98

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 30, 2009, 08:00:56 PM

Then you end up with a wavy pad with no cross-mill marks and that's assuming the casting date and assembly date on the properly machined top pad are ok as well. Good enough for the free bar, well healed patrons at B-J but not good enough for me. The Guru mis-diagnosed 5 out of 12 cars in one mans collection that he "inspected" earlier. Buyer beware. I just heard of someone else doing buildsheets today as well.....scum of the earth stuff in my mind.

What kind of block are you guys referring to that has the date codes "stamped"?
All of my block have the dates cast into the side of the block. Just wondering.

Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 31, 2009, 02:12:42 AM

Assembly date on the top pad - This example being April 8 (1969 - Being an "E440" ).

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 31, 2009, 02:12:42 AM

Larry, the top pad stamped by the distributor for example  F 440 for 1970 and under it 11-12 for build date Nov 12 1969
Ken

69_500

There are also ways to check to see if the numbers have been ground off and restamped as well.

Maxwellwedge, I appologize for not making it up there to check out the cars this weekend. Family problems arouse, and needed to take care of those long before i thought of making any trips to check out cars for my own personal satisfaction. Family first, cars come later down the line. Any chance to get up there to check them out at a later date?

nascarxx29

Maxwellwedge my daytona also had similar pad and markings .Down to the inverted A which means its a 0.20 overbore from the factory
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on January 31, 2009, 11:22:20 AM
There are also ways to check to see if the numbers have been ground off and restamped as well.

Maxwellwedge, I appologize for not making it up there to check out the cars this weekend. Family problems arouse, and needed to take care of those long before i thought of making any trips to check out cars for my own personal satisfaction. Family first, cars come later down the line. Any chance to get up there to check them out at a later date?

Sorry to hear - hope everything turns out ok.

I thought you were coming - Hemigeno with no co-pilot? He will be here in about 2 hours. Did he bring any women.....Ooops, did I type that  :angel:

They actually let him across the border - must of been wearing his fur-lined speedo with the Canadian flag on it.... :rofl:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on January 31, 2009, 11:43:13 AM
Maxwellwedge my daytona also had similar pad and markings .Down to the inverted A which means its a 0.20 overbore from the factory

Yes - That is what they absolutely should mean but every motor I have ever rebuilt with that "A" on it has been standard bore  :scratchchin:

Gibson thought it may have identified it as an A134 Power Pack engine (375 Horse). I had a couple with multiple A's on the bottom rear pan rail - again perhaps identifying it as a hi-po. Go figure huh?

69_500

Yup, Gene is going alone this weekend. Hopefully he made it there without any delays, and had a great time looking at the cars. I'm assuming he is on his return journey to Missouri as I type this.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on February 01, 2009, 01:53:00 PM
Yup, Gene is going alone this weekend. Hopefully he made it there without any delays, and had a great time looking at the cars. I'm assuming he is on his return journey to Missouri as I type this.

He got here ok Saturday at 2:00 after meeting Customs Officer Olga - The one with the rubber gloves, yes - plural  :^) ......He left today at Noon - EST - He should be back home by the 35th of Julumber.

He brought a lot of cool stuff to look at! He kept saying, " Danny would have taken 20 pictures of this and made me hold up dark paper behind that and would have been calling my camera a toy camera..."   :icon_smile_big:

I think he saw a bunch of interesting details. Next time you gotta come on up.