News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HP exhaust manifold differences year to year **Update** Very strange?!

Started by bull, November 04, 2005, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I got to looking at some exhaust manifolds on Eprey and there seems to be some pretty big differences in pricing based on the year. Other than casting numbers are there any major differences between manifolds for say, a 1968 383 and a 1973 383?

cudaken

Bull, a lot of it has to do with the date codes, older are worth more just like are cars. 68-70 are normaly the most sot after. E-B are drifferent where the head pipes hook, flang is at a driffrent angel. Some also has studs for heat sheilds as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

John_Kunkel

The different angle of the pipe flange is more related to year than body type, the flange angle changed in '70 and the B and E body used the same manifolds from then on.
The threaded bosses for the heat stove also started in '70.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

So how about the differences between different engine sizes? Does a 383 manifold fit a 440 and 400?

Chryco Psycho

the 383 & 440 used the same manifolds & heads so yes the manifolds will work

8WHEELER

Buy a set that looks like this, but if you want a correct date code the stock manifolds will have them. But
it is a real pain to get a date on the manifolds one or two months before the Assembly date of the car. The
70 went to the round counter weight, so that will not look right, plus they put an extra rib on the side and
started putting holes in the manifolds for the heat shields.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

I don't know how crazy I'll get on the date coding since I believe my 383 would have come with the log manifolds anyway. But since you mentioned it, should the manifolds have the same date as the block? What number should I be looking for?

For some reason my engine has the log manifold on one side and the hp on the other. ??? So now I need a passenger's side hp manifold.

8WHEELER

No the 68 block date numbers will not match say the intake or exhaust manifolds. Most block cast number
dates I have seen on 68's are 2-3mo in advance of the assembly date. My wife's 68 RT is a December car,
the block is a September block and assembled in early November, and the intake and exhaust manifolds
are dated 11-17-67 They have not been off yet.

Dan

bull

Here's a bit of weird information. As I said above, my car has an hp manifold on the left and a log manifold on the right. Well, according to a friend who has the number books on all this, that's the way my car is supposed to be?!?! All the 383 2bbl 4 speed cars supposedly came from the factory with an hp manifold on the left and a log manifold on the right. Very strange.

The numbers he gave me are, right: 2806900 and left: 2843992. Can anyone verify this?

8WHEELER

Here you go Bull , this is what the PARTS AND CASTING BOOK SAYS

CAST #   side   year   body  engine  remarks
2806900  RH    1967   BC      440       HP

CAST #   side    year    body   engine      remarks
2806900  RH  1968-69   BC    383-440       HP

CAST #   side   year       body      engine        remarks
2843992  LH  1968-69     B      383-4 440       HP

CAST #   side   year       body    engine        remarks
2843992  LH   1968         B      383-2      LP w/4spd

So those are the numbers you have?? or is that what he told you they should be??

Dan

bull

That's what he told me they should be. I haven't gotten out there yet to verify the info.

Does your information break it out by hp and non-hp engines because your two RH numbers don't say anything about 383/2bbl? Oh yea it does under remarks - LP w/4spd. Does LP stand for low performance?

bull

Ok, I just went out and wrote the numbers down. Th LH is correct and reads: 2843992 (with -2 at the end?) and the RH is incorrect and reads: 2532464 (with what looks like 11167 N4 after that???). So what is my RH manifold off of? And what does a 2806900 look like? Is it the top one you have pictured above, Dan? I can't quite make out the numbers.

8WHEELER

That casting number has three listings as follows

CAST #   side   year   body      engine        remark
2532464  RH  1969     T           383          PICKUP TRUCK

CAST #   side   year       body      engine        remark
2532464  RH  1967-69     B           383            LP

CAST #   side   year       body      engine           MODEL     remark
2532464  RH  1966-69    C       361 383-2 440       C           LP

Yes LP would stand for low performance, so it can still fit your 383-2. The only models I have seen that
have a LP on one side and an HP manifold on the other have been 71 and up engines.

Dan

8WHEELER

Yes the 2806900 manifold is the RH HP manifold in my picture.

Dan

bull

Ok. Just a few more questions and I'll (try to) stop bugging you. What does the -2 mean at the end of the 2843992# on our LH manifolds and what does N 6 mean on the RH one pictured above? And why is the little dial on the D instead of the N? And what do the D and the N mean? Last but not least, what did you do to your manifolds to make them look so nice?

Sorry, it's the kid in me asking too many questions.

Shakey

Quote from: bull on November 08, 2005, 05:36:19 AM
Ok. Just a few more questions and I'll (try to) stop bugging you. What does the -2 mean at the end of the 2843992# on our LH manifolds and what does N 6 mean on the RH one pictured above? And why is the little dial on the D instead of the N? And what do the D and the N mean? Last but not least, what did you do to your manifolds to make them look so nice?

Sorry, it's the kid in me asking too many questions.

Hey Bull -

Not 100% on the 2 after the casting # but it could mean second shift.

With regards to the N 6 - not sure about that at all, but could just be a way of Chrysler keeping track of production (QA)

The dial with the D & N is similar to what is on an engine block - the arrow points to whether the manifolds were cast on either the day or night shift.

To make 'em look good - you can buy new ones from Year One, which is what Dan did or you can remove them, sandblast them and paint them, like I did.

See here - http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,5130.msg61020.html#msg61020

Also, when I ordered my TTi exhaust system, they needed my exhaust manifold casting #'s. ? On their web site is a page showing numerous casting numbers and their applications. ? It is in .pdf format so I will give you the link and you can scroll down to "manifold casting numbers list".

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Exhaust%20Systems/Hsystems25.htm

bull