News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what if i don't have the key

Started by Foreman72, January 28, 2009, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

the key for the trunk of my 72 decided to go on vacation and i highly doubt its return...my question is...what is the best way to get the trunk open w/o the key?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Hemidog

if you don't want to destroy your lock, maybe remove the rear seat, go trough there  and unscrew the lock mechanism

Charger1973

Quote from: Hemidog on January 28, 2009, 12:26:49 PM
if you don't want to destroy your lock, maybe remove the rear seat, go trough there  and unscrew the lock mechanism

Yep thats how I would do it too. 

FLG

I agree. Unless your a big guy, you should fit.

Foreman72

cool...sounds good...what about once i do get it open...is it as simple as buying a new lock cylinder right
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

FLG

Dont need too, just bring it to a locksmith and have him make a key for you.

mikepmcs

Frank,
I guess I was thinking cost wise.  Is it cheaper to get a new lock or use a locksmith? I don't know the answer but you bring up a good point.  If you are going to use a locksmith can't you just tell him to come over to the house and do it on the spot. Don't have to tear into the back seat that way. :shruggy:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Foreman72

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 28, 2009, 03:16:28 PM
Frank,
I guess I was thinking cost wise.  Is it cheaper to get a new lock or use a locksmith? I don't know the answer but you bring up a good point.  If you are going to use a locksmith can't you just tell him to come over to the house and do it on the spot. Don't have to tear into the back seat that way. :shruggy:

:popcrn:
Eric "Foreman"

tan top

are the glove box lock & centre console locks , opperated with the trunk key , like a second generation :scratchchin: , just  take one of them locks out & get a key made ....... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Foreman72

Quote from: tan top on January 28, 2009, 03:36:47 PM
are the glove box lock & centre console locks , opperated with the trunk key , like a second generation :scratchchin: , just  take one of them locks out & get a key made ....... :popcrn:

dunno...if they are and i do get a key made what am i looking at for $$...i don't really need an original mopar key either...while it would be cool i don't feel i need one...
Eric "Foreman"

FLG

Dont know the cost but my door lock got messed up. Brought it to a locksmith he changed the pins and springs for 10-15 bucks or so. Figure the cost of a key...about 1.50 and then whatever he charges to make it. Ask him first but i cant seeing it cost more then 10 bucks, maybe a bit more.

Charger1973

You can buy mopar key blanks on ebay I have several. 

Chatt69chgr

What if you don't have the key to the ignition cylinder.  Can you have a key made for it by taking the whole assembly out of the dash and carrying it to a locksmith?  (69 charger).

I can see how they could do the trunk since I think the turmblers are easy to get to.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Foreman72 on January 28, 2009, 03:39:19 PM
Quote from: tan top on January 28, 2009, 03:36:47 PM

dunno...if they are and i do get a key made what am i looking at for $$...i don't really need an original mopar key either...while it would be cool i don't feel i need one...

if they have been untouched or changed, yes they are
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chatt69chgr

I need to ask this question again.  Can you have a key made for the ignition on a 69 Charger if you have lost your key.  I am talking about taking the ignition switch out of the dash and taking the whole shebang down to a locksmith.  I recall reading that you have to have the key inserted in the cylinder and then use a wire inserted in a hole to actually remove the lock cylinder.  If that's true, how would the locksmith be able to get the cylinder out of the ignition switch to be able to make a key?

Hemidog

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 02, 2009, 06:29:17 PM
I need to ask this question again.  Can you have a key made for the ignition on a 69 Charger if you have lost your key.  I am talking about taking the ignition switch out of the dash and taking the whole shebang down to a locksmith.  I recall reading that you have to have the key inserted in the cylinder and then use a wire inserted in a hole to actually remove the lock cylinder.  If that's true, how would the locksmith be able to get the cylinder out of the ignition switch to be able to make a key?

You don't need the key, at least not on mine, you push this thing, and voila!

Nacho-RT74

on 69 and earliers is easier remove the ign cilinder I guess, but on 3rd gens is easier remove the door cilinder than the column switch with all the tools and process involved.

of course we are asuming none of them has been changed and still match
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70daytonaclone

ugh yea what should I do ij  that buton don't mash in? spray with wd40? thanks S

terrible one

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 29, 2009, 11:32:05 PM
What if you don't have the key to the ignition cylinder.  Can you have a key made for it by taking the whole assembly out of the dash and carrying it to a locksmith?  (69 charger).

I can see how they could do the trunk since I think the turmblers are easy to get to.

Go the much easier route if you still have your door locks and they are still the same as the ignition. Pop a door lock out and take it to a locksmith. Did this for my Dart. 3 minutes to take the door lock out and $10 for the local locksmith to make keys, and $1.00 each per blank.  :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: FLG on January 28, 2009, 02:30:03 PM
I agree. Unless your a big guy, you should fit.

:'(  been there once or twice myself...   and I am a big guy 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chatt69chgr

I misplaced both the ign and trunk key for my car.  I had not thougt about taking the door lock out.  That's an excellent idea.  I can take the back seat out and crawl into the trunk to pop the trunk lid open and then take that lock off too so that one can be made. 

What key fits the glove box door?  Ign key or trunk key?

FLG

Trunk key if it was never changed.

Chatt69chgr