News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cross talking

Started by CFMopar, November 04, 2005, 04:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Just wondering how can you tell if your getting cross talking?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

CFMopar

cudaken

Not sure what you mean by that Thread_Marshal. It is a term used in stereo systems but I don't think you mean that.

Are you taking about cross firing where a spark jumps from one wire to another one?

Cuda Ken ???
I am back

CFMopar

I allways thought cross talking whas when u didnt have a good seal between two cylinders on an intake persay.

cudaken

To me that is either a blowen head gasket, cracked head or block or a vacuum leak. Why do you ask?

Cuda Ken
I am back

CFMopar

Just wondering.

Did a head swap and the car just dosnt feel as strong as it should....

cudaken

Why did you change out the heads? What did you have and what did install?

Time to run a compression test and vacuum test and check for leaks.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

were the heads decked to make sure they were flat ?

CFMopar

They were 906s got eddie 84 ccs

Yes they were checked.

cudaken

Neil will have a big old I told you so grin on his faces. He does not like the E-heads. Said they are of poor quality.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

The flattop pistons sitting .100 in the hole aren't helping things. The cam is way too big for the low static compression that is currently in this combo. What it needs is some serious upgrades in the piston department. The speedpro 2355's are what you should be looking at. It wouldn't be any better with an Indy or Bulldog head and only 8:1 compression.   ;)

The shortblock needs another 2.5 points of static compression to maximize those heads, cam, intake and exhaust components.   :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CFMopar

But I thought we would still see bout 50 hp gian from the heads?

cudaken

That is what I thought as well Marshel?

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on November 09, 2005, 05:30:29 PM
But I thought we would still see bout 50 hp gian from the heads?

All things being equal, you should.....the low static compression is killing the power. You need to build some heat in the cylinder. Hotter plugs and more spark lead will wake it up. What plugs are in it now ? Where is the total timing ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

Quote from: cudaken on November 08, 2005, 06:11:46 PM
Neil will have a big old I told you so grin on his faces. He does not like the E-heads. Said they are of poor quality.

Cuda Ken

at 1260 bucks a set , to your door they are pretty hard to beat.   i gained .39 in the 1/8th mile with my swap.  

what motor are these on, for some reason im thinking you have a 383?        

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on November 09, 2005, 09:47:04 PM

what motor are these on, for some reason im thinking you have a 383?        

Here's the breakdown Mike:

forged slugs .100 below deck (probably 2266 trw's)
84cc E-heads with .040 composite head gasket
street dominator
holley 750 vac carb
Comp 501 hydraulic: 292@.020/244@.050/110lsa/.501 lift (single pattern)
17/8 hooker comps

Originally the engine was thought to have 10:1 compression and the heads were specced with that in mind. Turns out the pistons are way down the bore killing the static compression. It's somewhere in the 8:1 range doing the math. The cam is way too big for an 8:1 aluminum headed engine, inmo. Cylinder pressure will be very modest with the low static compression and long duration cam. Ideally, it would have been nice to know for sure what pistons were actually in the engine but that info wasn't available. There are a few things holding this engine back, most notably the lack of compression and a cam that is too large for the combo outlined above.

The best way to fix it, inmo, is to get the proper pistons installed and degree in the cam. A 60cfm headflow improvement will show significant gains as long as the support components are properly matched.   :Twocents:

Ron

Chryco Psycho

I agree with Ron , nay Alum head would effectively drop the compression by 1 more point , having a smaller chamber could have left you with the same effective 8:1 compression which would have been slightly better But the compression is too low

Runner

hey ron, played around a little with a calculator and it seems its around 8.3-1? anyway if he was to use a shim gasket(i was told by a certain engine biulder it should be fine with eheads) and if he could mill the heads to 75 cc or so it would get the ratio up around 9.36-1   it wouldnt cost alot, and could be done with out tearing the motor completly down,    should help..       anyway    just an idea,   if it was done with new pistons, it would cost more but if he could achive both quench and compression it would be a big plus.      

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on November 09, 2005, 11:26:07 PM
hey ron, played around a little with a calculator and it seems its around 8.3-1? anyway if he was to use a shim gasket(i was told by a certain engine biulder it should be fine with eheads) and if he could mill the heads to 75 cc or so it would get the ratio up around 9.36-1   it wouldnt cost alot, and could be done with out tearing the motor completly down,    should help..       anyway    just an idea,   if it was done with new pistons, it would cost more but if he could achive both quench and compression it would be a big plus.      

Hi Mike, we discussed that but Vic (Threadmarshall) doesn't want to cut the heads, and i agree. Even with a smaller chamber it still wouldn't have enough compression and zero quench. With the slugs .100 below deck and a .020 head gasket there'd still be .120 between the piston and chamber.....anything over .060 negates anything in terms of quench with .040 being ideal. I'd like to see a set of flattops in there at zero deck and 10.5:1 static compression. That would make a world of difference. This engine is balanced with the 2266 slugs and the 2355's are close enough in weight that it would be a non-issue....the existing balance job would be fine.

Ron

cudaken

Humm, would that motor work well with Supercharger? :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken Clearnces sale and inc a Cut Hood as well :icon_smile_big:

I am back

CFMopar

Im thinking bout it ken maybe if i win the lottery :P

cudaken

What your buy it now Prices? PM me. Need to move it.

Cuda Ken
I am back

CFMopar

My buy it now price is going to be real low and I dont want to do that to you. I'd feel bad if you let me have it. I just bought heads and am Looking into buying another car I really cant afford to myself :P