News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column

Started by 68MoparCharger, November 05, 2005, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68MoparCharger

I have a steering column with broken shear pins. I've been told that i'd have to buy a new column. I've looked at a few places on the internet and in town and I can't find a replacement steering column for my 68, is there any place that makes replacement columns. Or can I replace broken shear pins? Thx.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!" - Metallica

Ghoste

You wouldn't think it'd be that hard to find a column.  Is it standard or power steering, column or console shift?
As to the shear pins, you would think there'd be a source for those to someplace.  Have you tried a body shop supply store?  What about a place like Roger Gibsons?

68MoparCharger

It's powersteering, column shift. I havent heard of Roger Gibsons, what kinda stuff do they sell. I'm thinkin about tryin on ebay though.

Chryco Psycho

68MoparCharger

Actually, I was looking at the column today, and would there be any problem with welding the column together, other than safety?

beenaround

don't weld it.if you ever sell the car and something happened they could come back on you.try the other members suggestions.i would think that a shaft from other model years would work.i can look this up tomorrow for you.

68MoparCharger

Is it possible to drill a hole thorugh the column with the drill press and press in a plastic or aluminum pin? Then maybe flare out the other sides so it won't come out but will shear when pressed.

Chryco Psycho

could be done , alum would be too rigid

68MoparCharger

I ended up welding the piece and cutting off the excess weld, I only left the weld that was in between the pieces, and it moved when I "tapped" it with a hammer, so I figure it should hold up to normal use, and move when it is smashed into.

68MoparCharger

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that I had tac welded it on the mig. so the tacs were easy to cut off with a saw.

Chryco Psycho

John Kunkle had a part # for a factory repair kit I believe