News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

riddle 5...solved by finn...riddle 6...solved by C_stripes...

Started by captnsim, February 09, 2009, 09:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captnsim

What row of numbers comes next in this series?

Finn

Next: 1113213211
(one one, one three...)
No google.  :D
My grandparents have a ton of books and the riddle ones were my favorite.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

captnsim

You manufacture entrainment CDs for companies that sell self-improvement products. You are at the post office, with ten boxes of them ready to close up and ship out, but you have a problem. Nine of the boxes contain CDs that are designed to put the listener into an "a" or relaxing state, and one is full of Cds that are designed to put the user into a deeper "d" state, for deep sleep. They look identical, and you forgot to label them.

There is one difference, however. You remember that the "a" Cds weigh 13 grams, and because different CD "blanks were used, the "d" Cds weigh 15 grams. Unfortunately, you can't feel the difference in weight by lifting them.

The post office does have a scale. It costs one dollar each time you weigh something, though, and you want to keep your costs down. How do you use the scale as few times as possible to determine which are the "d" CDs?

lisiecki1

take one cd out of each box and weigh all 10 at once and note how much the weight changes as you remove them one by one.....cost $1
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Troy

First, take a CD from each box and look at the CDs to see if the manufacturer put a part number on them. The oddball is the 'd'.
Total: $0

Otherwise...
Put a CD from each of the ten boxes into three stacks of three plus a single CD. Weigh each stack ($3). If they are the same then the single CD is the "d".
Total: $3

If the three stacks are different weights, split the heaviest stack and weigh each of the single CDs stopping once you find the 15g CD ($1-3).
Total: $4-6

Alternatively...
Put a CD from each of the ten boxes into two stacks of five CDs. Weigh each stack ($2). Set aside the lighter stack and split the heaviest stack into two stacks of two CDs and a single CD. Weigh the two bigger stacks ($2). If they are the same then the single CD is the "d".
Total: $4

If the two stacks are different weights, split the heaviest stack and weigh each of the single CDs stopping once you find the 15g CD ($1-2).
Total: $5-6

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

captnsim

Those are all good guesses... I'll give a hint...Their is a way to do this for a dollar, and tell which box it is...without a doubt...Also the scale is a instant read...one readout = one dollar...

Finn

Hmm. Is the scale a must use item?
Slip a post worker a dollar and have him put the cds into a computer. (better yet go to car and do it)
or
Attach a note saying "one of these boxes contains D-CDs".

I'm guessing neither or those are it.  ::)
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

captnsim

Nope not it...But creative none the less... :scratchchin:   

captnsim

Clue.....Step one....Number the boxes 1 thru 10....

Hope this helps

Troy

Ha! I can do it for free...

the Post Office must weigh the boxes to determine postage owed. ;)

Troy

captnsim

Ha Ha, This post office charges for that service...once you figure out how the clue above applies the rest will be easy...

500hp_440

Any body can tell difference in weight by picking them up, pick up all 10 1 or 2 at a time and take the heaviest or lightest (which ever D is) and weigh it, if your right you spend $1 if your not take all 10 :shruggy:
Let it alone^.

captnsim

resq302

Put all of the boxes on the scale.  Pull one off at a time and keep track of what ounce of weight gets removed from the scale.  Therefore, you are just subtracting the total amount of weight and it is never removing boxes or setting the scale back to zero.  Which ever box ends up weighing 15 grams is the box with the "d" cd's.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

captnsim

If only it was that easy...1 dollar = 1 readout. Take anything off and you need to put in another dollar...You have part of it figured out...This can be done...with one dollar and no funny stuff.

Troy

captnsim

Quote from: captnsim on February 10, 2009, 10:30:04 AM
You manufacture entrainment CDs for companies that sell self-improvement products. You are at the post office, with ten boxes of them ready to close up and ship out, but you have a problem. Nine of the boxes contain CDs that are designed to put the listener into an "a" or relaxing state, and one is full of Cds that are designed to put the user into a deeper "d" state, for deep sleep. They look identical, and you forgot to label them.

There is one difference, however. You remember that the "a" Cds weigh 13 grams, and because different CD "blanks were used, the "d" Cds weigh 15 grams. Unfortunately, you can't feel the difference in weight by lifting them.

The post office does have a scale. It costs one dollar each time you weigh something, though, and you want to keep your costs down. How do you use the scale as few times as possible to determine which are the "d" CDs?

500hp stated you could feel the differance by picking them up...

C_stripes

Quote from: Troy on February 10, 2009, 11:25:38 PM
Quote from: captnsim on February 10, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
Did you read paragraph two???
Are you kidding? Read? What nonsense is this?

Troy

lmao.  Some people are to cool to read. ...or spell.  :nana:

I know, sometimes I don't spell perfectly. Who does 100%?

Who can feel the difference in a few grams?  No one I have ever met. That's very little weight.

I have been trying to figure this out and I can't see how it could be done unless you broke down the boxes into two sets of five, then you break the heaviest down to two of two and hope that one of the stacks of two. If they both are the same, the one that was left off is the case in question. If one weighs more. Then separate those two and weigh individually. Your cost would be between four and five dollars that way.

Where are you getting all of these captnsim?
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Troy

Quote from: captnsim on February 10, 2009, 11:30:25 PM
Quote from: captnsim on February 10, 2009, 10:30:04 AM

500hp stated you could feel the differance by picking them up...
I was poking fun at the youngster. :2thumbs:

Troy

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

captnsim

I will never tell...This one is a bit devilish...  :naughty: 55 is a amount...

Finn

Hang on, do the CDs weigh w/e the amount was or is that the box they are in?
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Troy

That's 2 grams per cd. The boxes are "full of CDs" so 100 CDs would be about 1/2 pound difference per box.

You sure I didn't answer this already but by weighing individual CDs instead of whole boxes? (Split into 5, then 2, then 1?) Boxes could have packing material and other weight differences but the CDs are a known weight.

55 is the total of all the numbers written on the boxes.

Troy

captnsim

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 10, 2009, 10:33:33 PM
My bodyman can tell difference in weight by picking them up, pick up all 10 1 or 2 at a time and take the heaviest or lightest (which ever D is) and weigh it, if he is right ( he always is) you spend $1 if he is not take all 10 :shruggy:
I fix for him...But he still wrong
Box is not a factor...

Troy

Aw, dang!

Ok, I got it but I cheated so I won't answer.

Troy