News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee question

Started by 500hp_440, February 12, 2009, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

500hp_440

If I recall correctly the GL was originally a bank robbers car that failed to jump the gorge, so the Dukes who had just bought a used Hemi, pulled the car out and restored it completely, which the car had a 440 originally, so techniaclly if I pull my 440 and throw in a Hemi I will have a closer to real GL then most people?
Or is my story wrong?
Let it alone^.

teamroth

:smilielol: well you didn't pull your car out of a waterfilled gorge did you?
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

chargerkid01

Your wrong watch the original series not the dukes of hazzard begining!!!! yes it was a black charger that was in a heist of diamonds, they were caught then the charger wastowed to a junk yard/used wreck cars lot. Where Bo & Luke found it while looking for a race car to put the engine they built in!! Maybe some one else remembers the epsode name I think it was called happy birthday general lee!!!!

Lizey

your combining the story from both movies and the show...

the "REAL" story according to the show is that the bankrobbers crashed the car, stored gold dust under the dash, and then the dukes bought it from the junkyard and put their homebuild racing engine in it and etc. etc. (its in the episode "Happy Birthday General Lee")

the "official" engine of the general lee is the 440 i read somewhere

1977 Dodge Charger SE - Sold 4/18/15
2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 GMC K1500
1943 Farmall A

chargerkid01

I couldn't remember if it was diamonds or gold, but I don't like the new dukes movies, I have all season's on dvd. I don't watch them that much so I couldnt remember all the details!!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: chargerkid01 on February 12, 2009, 09:34:35 PM
Your wrong watch the original series not the dukes of hazzard begining!!!! yes it was a black charger that was in a heist of diamonds, they were caught then the charger was towed to a junk yard/used wreck cars lot. Where Bo & Luke found it while looking for a race car to put the engine they built in!! Maybe some one else remembers the episode name I think it was called happy birthday general lee!!!!

:iagree: It was called Happy Birthday General Lee. Most of the Chargers used on the episodes had 318s or 383s.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

Quote from: chargerkid01 on February 12, 2009, 09:52:04 PM
I couldn't remember if it was diamonds or gold, but I don't like the new dukes movies, I have all season's on dvd. I don't watch them that much so I couldnt remember all the details!!

Chuck could probably tell you all the details to any episode, he has to have the t.v. on when he sleeps at night,............................................wonder what's in the dvd player,  :shruggy:....................you got it, D.O.H.!!!  :rotz: It's kinda weird and sad at the same time!  :pity: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :D

Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MoparManJim

In "Happy Birthday General Lee" the charger was stolen by two people. It was black at the time of the bank robbery. After they stole the charger they pull'd off on some back road and stash the goldust they had stolen behind the insterment panel. While they was doing that back the Dukes boys and Uncle Jesse was talking about finding a race to put there homebuilt motor into a car for the big race (The motor was really frozen up that was scene on the screen). Now back to the charger, after the two got done hidding the goldust behind the insterment panel they took off. Now as they are driving the back dirt road they pass a cop car and he begins chase after them. He rams them in the driver side door and knocks the charger off the road and down in the trach where he catchs the two baddys. The car is towed to the junkyard while the baddys go to jail. Bo and Luke out looking for a race car comes across the junkyard and buys the warck charger (now has a good driver door on and smash up front end  :scratchchin:). They take the car back to Cooters as the two bank robbers brakes out of jail and comes looking for the car and the guy at the junkyard tells them about two couins in Hazzard buying the wrack car. They go to Hazzard looking for the Duke boys. Later on after they (the Duke boys) put the engine in the car, they paint it into the General Lee and the next day they take it out for a spin and while Unless and Daisy and Cooter are going to meet them at the starting line of the big race. The Boys runs into the two robbers and a chase is on. The boys has to out run them so they take a dirt road that has a bridge wash out and there is where the General (posely) makes his first jump. 

I can go on. 

But the funny thing is I haven't watch the peisode in like 6 months now.  :lol: 

Mike DC

The studio's attitude towards the GL's mechanical specifics was basically "reveal nothing, lest it diminish the magic aura of the character."

They once called the GL a 440/automatic car in a short list of stats published in 1981, but that's about it. 

The black (pre-GL) Charger in the 1984 episode had an unspecified drivetrain.  The shots of the GL's motor throughout the series were usually big block wedge motors, mostly 383s. 

tan top

Quote from: MoparManJim on February 13, 2009, 12:45:43 AM
In "Happy Birthday General Lee" the charger was stolen by two people. It was black at the time of the bank robbery. After they stole the charger they pull'd off on some back road and stash the goldust they had stolen behind the insterment panel. While they was doing that back the Dukes boys and Uncle Jesse was talking about finding a race to put there homebuilt motor into a car for the big race (The motor was really frozen up that was scene on the screen). Now back to the charger, after the two got done hidding the goldust behind the insterment panel they took off. Now as they are driving the back dirt road they pass a cop car and he begins chase after them. He rams them in the driver side door and knocks the charger off the road and down in the trach where he catchs the two baddys. The car is towed to the junkyard while the baddys go to jail. Bo and Luke out looking for a race car comes across the junkyard and buys the warck charger (now has a good driver door on and smash up front end  :scratchchin:). They take the car back to Cooters as the two bank robbers brakes out of jail and comes looking for the car and the guy at the junkyard tells them about two couins in Hazzard buying the wrack car. They go to Hazzard looking for the Duke boys. Later on after they (the Duke boys) put the engine in the car, they paint it into the General Lee and the next day they take it out for a spin and while Unless and Daisy and Cooter are going to meet them at the starting line of the big race. The Boys runs into the two robbers and a chase is on. The boys has to out run them so they take a dirt road that has a bridge wash out and there is where the General (posely) makes his first jump. 

I can go on. 

But the funny thing is I haven't watch the peisode in like 6 months now.  :lol: 

yeah i remember all that stuff , not see that one since  83 / 84 when it was shown on tv  ;D
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Back N Black

I got the original black General Lee, the one in my Avatar.

500hp_440

So noone knows what the drivetrain was supposed to be?
Which has the most power though Hemi or 440?
Thanks for the info!
Let it alone^.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 500hp_440 on February 13, 2009, 12:02:30 PM
Thanks for the info!

define power?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

MoparManJim

Thanks for the info!

Each week, Cooter was alwaysdoing somthing to the car and the next week he was doing somthing yet again to it. Then the week after that the same thing  :icon_smile_big: 

About the motors, from 318's to 440s was used. The 318 was use more though, the 383s and 440s was used for the jump cars because they could get up speed that was needed for the jumps. 

The barn jump was done by mistake though, Jack Gill hit the ramp going to fast and went threw the 2nd story instead of the 1st story that was pre cut for him to go threw. 

WingCharger

440 is my bet. The sounds of the car shifting were actually edited in after filming. Most cars were automatics though. I don't think I ever noticed a column shifted auto or 3spd car. There must have at least been a few. :shruggy:

Personally, if I built one, it would be a 440 4spd. Super Track Pak car. :D

69charger2002

Quote from: MoparManJim on February 13, 2009, 05:20:19 PM
Thanks for the info!

Each week, Cooter was alwaysdoing somthing to the car and the next week he was doing somthing yet again to it. Then the week after that the same thing  :icon_smile_big: 

About the motors, from 318's to 440s was used. The 318 was use more though, the 383s and 440s was used for the jump cars because they could get up speed that was needed for the jumps. 

The barn jump was done by mistake though, Jack Gill hit the ramp going to fast and went threw the 2nd story instead of the 1st story that was pre cut for him to go threw. 

not to bust your balls, but sometimes your posts are painful to decipher through..
this is friendly help, not being a jerk
1. 318's and 440's WERE used, not WAS
2. somthing is spelled SOMETHING
3. threw is THROUGH

:cheers:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

MoparManJim

Quote from: 69charger2002 on February 13, 2009, 05:36:08 PM
Quote from: MoparManJim on February 13, 2009, 05:20:19 PM
Thanks for the info!

not to bust your balls, but sometimes your posts are painful to decipher through..
this is friendly help, not being a jerk
1. 318's and 440's WERE used, not WAS
2. somthing is spelled SOMETHING
3. threw is THROUGH

:cheers:

Thanks for the advice man. 

MoparManJim

Quote from: WingCharger on February 13, 2009, 05:33:27 PM
440 is my bet. The sounds of the car shifting were actually edited in after filming. Most cars were automatics though. I don't think I ever noticed a column shifted auto or 3spd car. There must have at least been a few. :shruggy:

Watch the episode in 2nd season, the one where the Duke boys meet Cale, at the ending where they do a jump over the cars. Just before the jump they cut to an inside shot of a General. The shows Luke flipping the targel switch for the super charger under the hood. In the background you can see a column shifter.

WingCharger

Quote from: MoparManJim on February 13, 2009, 07:22:33 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on February 13, 2009, 05:33:27 PM

Watch the episode in 2nd season, the one where the Duke boys meet Cale, at the ending where they do a jump over the cars. Just before the jump they cut to an inside shot of a General. The shows Luke flipping the targel switch for the super charger under the hood. In the background you can see a column shifter.
Thanks! :cheers:

kikgas01

Kraig Kummins had a real general that is a column shift. Tony Gonzales has a column shift real general.

rav440

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 13, 2009, 12:05:59 PM
Thanks for the info!

define power?

define noone ?  :shruggy:

:popcrn:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

69charger2002

a "noone" is when you sneak home at lunch time for a little lovin'   :nana:
secondary definition is a synonym for baby pacifier...  :yesnod:
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

rav440

Quote from: 69charger2002 on February 13, 2009, 07:42:05 PM
a "noone" is when you sneak home at lunch time for a little lovin'   :nana:
secondary definition is a synonym for baby pacifier...  :yesnod:

thats a "nooner" . or the old school " term after noon delight "  :yesnod:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Mike DC

The funny thing about GLs is that a 440 is probably not a great thing to use for a car like that.  Dirt roads, constant turns and bumps, very little time spent on straightaways in total, etc.  That situation doesn't call out for more HP to make the final result faster, it calls out for a better chassis. 

The GL might have been a NASCAR-inspired ride, but it actually lived a lot more like a WRC Rally car than anything else.

Rich Sephton told me that he thought the chassis mods on their hottest couple of GLs were doing them more good than the actual motors.  He said they kept swapping the hot motors from car-to-car as certain cars got totalled, but it was never the same without the frame/suspension work that the best couple of cars had underneath. 

500hp_440

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 13, 2009, 12:05:59 PM
Thanks for the info!

define power?
hp, torque, top speed, accleration, ect.
Let it alone^.