News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque convertor balancing

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, November 06, 2005, 06:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Silly question......

On a 440 engine with a steel crank (thin balancer)   Should the automatic TQ convertor have weights (balanced) or no weights?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 06, 2005, 06:50:48 PM
Silly question......

On a 440 engine with a steel crank (thin balancer)     Should the automatic TQ convertor have weights (balanced) or no weights?

Chris, there should be no balancer weights on a steel crank motor. If the converter is weighted, they can be removed to make the converter neutral balance.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

:icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

often there are small weights attached to the balancer to correct the balance of the converter Not the engine , these are generally welded on the outer face of the converter not the front face where the flex plate bolts on

Just 6T9 CHGR

The reason I ask is because I wonder if this is contributing to my vibration problem.

The convertor I have is a TCI Breakaway 11" with a 2400 rpm stall part # 141200
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=141200&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

QuoteBrand: TCI Automotive
Product Line: TCI Breakaway Torque Converters
Advertised Flash Stall Rating (rpm): 2400
Anti-Ballooning Plate: No
Lockup: No
Diameter (in): 11
Input Spline Quantity: 24
Furnace Brazed: Yes
Balanced: Yes
Hardware Included: No
Quantity: Sold individually.
It says its "balanced"     Now with my new steel crank 440, I should remove the weights off the convertor?

You think this is a good convertor for my application?   99% street cruiser
9.3:1 comp 915 heads .504" Engle cam, 3.55 rear

Should I bother taking out the trans to knock off the weights or while its out get another convertor?

Im also wondering if I can sneek knocking the weights off from the insp access cover without having to drop the trans.......what do you think?

Hard to tell from this pic but I think there is a weight attached (brown rectancle) on the face of it....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cudaken

Chiss, is the 440 still in the Charger? PIC does not show details. Could you crop the weight you are talking about?

I had one Mopar that was out of balances, 70 Cuda with a 360 and still had the 340 fly wheel in it. Drove the sucker home and all most shook my teeth out.

Did you do anything with the motor mounts like the trick Ron had me do with the bolts threw the Motor Mount? I had a odd but small virbration I think the bolts caused. In reverse I could not feel it.

Ken
I am back

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes Ken the 440 is still in.  The pic was taken when I pulled the old one out.

I circled what I think could be a weight.

The vib isnt that bad but annoying at speeds above 62-65 mph.  I also can feel a vibe when I rev the engine sitting still.

No tricks done to the mounts.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Chris, i blew the picture up and zoomed in on the circle you made. It looks like the converter you've got is for a cast crank engine.   ;) Those weights are not required for an internally balanced (steel crank) motor and are likely contributing to your vibration issues. The 141200 is listed as a neutral balance converter but for some reason this converter is weighted. TCI lists several different weighted "breakaway" converters on their website for the BB mopar depending on the style of weights used for external balancing. It's possible that you ordered the right part but it was improperly packaged.   ???

The link below shows a description of the different types of weights used on their tq converters. The description of the weights will help you determine which converter you have in your car. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.tciauto.com/converters/converter_applications.htm

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well I'll be a SOB!   I was on their site looking for a description of where the weights would be if there was one......I was on that page as well but I didnt scroll down far enough.

Thanks Ron!

Im gonna crawl under there today and see if I can at least "see" if there really is a weight there.  ( I have a few other pics from different angles but I still cant be 100% sure if its a weight or just a paint scuff)
The old engine was a cast crank and now that I think of it I might have told the rep at Summit that I did have a cast crank engine.   Looking on my receipt it lists a 141200 and not one of the weighted #'s

Hopefully I can get something up in there to knock the weight off without having to drop the trans.

I used the larger full disc B & M flexplate this time over the MP cheapie one so now I think I'm screwed and I think I'll have to drop the trans....... :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 08, 2005, 07:28:50 AM
Hopefully I can get something up in there to knock the weight off without having to drop the trans.

I used the larger full disc B & M flexplate this time over the MP cheapie one so now I think I'm screwed and I think I'll have to drop the trans....... :(

Chris, you're better off removing the converter to knock the weights off....they're on there pretty good. I had to use a chisel and ball pein hammer to work them off on the last converter i modified for steel crank use. Hammering on the converter with it still mated up to the trans could damage the input shaft, pump, seal etc...

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Crap....... :(

I was hoping you wouldnt say that......Im gonna remove the access plate first to try and determine f there actually is a weight on there
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well good news & bad news.   Went under the car and checked if there was actually a weight there.....theres none.
With the B&M flexplate I have, if there was a weight there, it wouldnt sit flush.   Rotated it all the way around and verified there is no weights.
That must be a paint scuff as I suspected.
I guess with my old cast crank 440 this is why this happened   ::)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

Wow, is that what the flex plate looks like currently?

Just 6T9 CHGR

No. Thats the old stock type MP flexplate.

The new B&M one I have looks like the one in the center of this pic (except it doesnt have a weight on it)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T