News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan shrouds and expansion tanks........>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, November 06, 2005, 11:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Hey, got the cooling system installed finally.

The fraking water neck didn't seal properly but i'm almost positive that it's because the water pump housing was so pitted it just could't seal.

So I'm just gonna pick up a new one and that should solve that.

But, I'm in need of an expansion tank.

I'm really looking for a recirculating type set up, and figured I'd see what you all were using.

Also in need of a fan shroud.

Ron, if you see this post, you wouldn't think there'd be any problem running a 27" shroud on my 26" radiator, do yah?

I was thinking that this one from Howe would work:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=HRE-34307&FROM=MG

Or, since the BeCool is a "direct swap" for a stock 26" rad, maybe just use a stock plastic shroud?

Any other ideas, guys?

TIA

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

cudaken

Formula_440, on the water neck. Don't buy the cheap chrome ones, they will leak. I know you did not say you where going to just a little warning.

Are you the member that just bought the cross flow? If so don't waste your money on a shroud. Mine keeps mine at 160 at a dead stop in traffic and 95 out side.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Johnny SixPack

How'd you know I got the cheap @$$ chome neck, Ken? :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_big:

Fraking Autozone!

Hell, they had to order the crappy chrome one too.

And it was a million times better than the POS Chinese Fried Rice filler neck they had in stock.

I'm going aluminum this time along with the MP aluminum housing.

It'll all switch over to the stroker, so why not just buy it now.

Shoulda done that in the first place.   :icon_smile_wink:

And yeah, I think that was me with the crossflow rad.

I have no doubt about it's ability to cool, but I'm also thinking from a safety stand point.

Been nicked once by a fan.

Don't ever want that to happen again.

I completely agree about the efficiency of the rad. though.

Ran the car in high 80's today for about 20 mins (looking for another leak) and it hovered around 170.

The heater set on the hottest setting never blows anything more than lukewarm air now.   ;D

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

cudaken

If you like shinney, try a stain less steel water neck. I bought mine of E-bay cost $40.00 and it was not leak.

Bought some time ago, and came from a company in Canada that made parts for air craft. Seems to me the name of the company might have been Raven Craft. Also boght a P/S pump from them as well. Booth very well made.

As far as the finguers, that I can under stand.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Quote from: formula_440 on November 06, 2005, 11:40:01 PM
But, I'm in need of an expansion tank.

I'm really looking for a recirculating type set up, and figured I'd see what you all were using.

Also in need of a fan shroud.

Ron, if you see this post, you wouldn't think there'd be any problem running a 27" shroud on my 26" radiator, do yah?

I was thinking that this one from Howe would work:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=HRE-34307&FROM=MG

Or, since the BeCool is a "direct swap" for a stock 26" rad, maybe just use a stock plastic shroud?

Any other ideas, guys?

TIA

Johnny

Hi Johnny, as Ken mentioned you don't really need the shroud because of the increased thermal efficiency of the aluminum radiator...and you observed this firsthand yourself. I don't see a problem running the shroud you posted as long as there is adequate clearance between the blades and shroud. Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape...the engine will lift when you hammer the throttle...if the mount is broken, the fan will contact the shroud.   ;)

Summit racing sells nice overflow tanks....got the aluminum one for mine. It would look nice along side that shiny new rad !   :thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Johnny SixPack

Thanks for the info, Ron. :cheers:

Is the tank you went with a recirculating type?

There were a couple of 'em on Summit, but the majority were "catch cans".

Johnny's Herd:

BrianShaughnessy

There's all kinds of stainless overflow tanks on ebaymotors for about $30.   I think I used a 3"x10".   Looks a lot better than some $10 plastic thing.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kamkuda

FYI Here is my 26 inch summit rad and the smaller shroud for sizing

Johnny SixPack

Brian, I'll look there.

Definitely don't want to go back to the Wally-World plastic POS now.   ;D

Kam, is that the HRE-34306?
Johnny's Herd:

kamkuda

Quote from: formula_440 on November 07, 2005, 09:51:10 PM
Kam, is that the HRE-34306?

A buddy gave me the shroud. I don't know the part number. Sorry

kamkuda

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2005, 04:24:06 PM

Summit racing sells nice overflow tanks....got the aluminum one for mine. It would look nice along side that shiny new rad !   :thumbs:

Ron
I have one too,  they are cool :icon_smile:

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd: