News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions on portable garages, you have one? In your garage? UPDATE!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 22, 2009, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

It's killing me to see how moisture beats on my car ( Rusting bolts etc.. ).  It's rainy and humid right now as I type.  I want to buy one of the portable garages and put it in my garage, close the door (flap) and put a small oil filled heater on low while it sits during the winter and wet spring months.  I see cheap 200.00 ones on ebay. Overall dimensions: 16 ft. 9''L x 8 ft. 10''W x 7ft. 1/2''H .  Any thoughts or pictures of your encloser?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Daytona R/T SE

Seal the garage up tight and buy a dehumidifier. The newer "low temp" ones won't freeze up until they get below 41 degrees F.  Heat the garage, keep the temp. as constant as possible. I keep mine about 55 F in the winter, I always run the dehumidifier year round.  My car hasn't had any paint on it for over ten years....it's still nice and clean except for a bunch of dust that has settled on it...

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on February 22, 2009, 06:02:32 PM
Seal the garage up tight and buy a dehumidifier. The newer "low temp" ones won't freeze up until they get below 41 degrees F.  Heat the garage, keep the temp. as constant as possible. I keep mine about 55 F in the winter, I always run the dehumidifier year round.  My car hasn't had any paint on it for over ten years....it's still nice and clean except for a bunch of dust that has settled on it...
This old garage is not seal worthy, it's attached to the house and has a tall peak cealing.  The real issue is the wife's Honda in the next bay.  She's in and out all day.  In the winter she brings in wet snow and ice that drips off the car and on the floor, making the concrete floor wet/cold and damp.  I need to put my baby in a capsule or one of the portable garages or split the garage in half.  Today is a rainy day, I told her when she comes home, leave it outside. :D
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

dodgecharger-fan

I saw a neat product somewhere... I'm looking for it...

but maybe if I explain it, someone will remember it.

The basic concept is similar to the Car Capsule http://www.carcapsule.com/, but instead of having to drive in and out of a bag, this thing I saw was more of a frame, wrapped in plastic.

The end opened up so you could drive in and out, and there was a side "door" so you could get in and out of the car.

It has the same kind of recirculating air system as the capsule.

dodgecharger-fan

AirChamber.

http://www.airflow-uk.com/air-chamber.htm

I found news articles about a US office and YearOne has them on their site.  :P

Many other places showed up in a google search...

dodgecharger-fan

This is a neat idea, although not what you're looking for in terms of sealing things up.

http://www.touchlesscarcover.com/

Dans 68

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on February 22, 2009, 08:36:48 PM
This is a neat idea, although not what you're looking for in terms of sealing things up.

http://www.touchlesscarcover.com/

These covers only fit cars up to 196" long. Our 2nd Gen babies are 208".  :'(

Dan

Edit - I contacted the company and they have a larger car cover in the works.
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Musicman

My car sits in an old carriage barn with a concrete floor that wicks more moisture than a sponge. I could spend $800 on one of those Plastic Bubbles with a fan in it, or I could just go by a big roll of heavy duty clear plastic at the local Farm supply  or hardware store, and completely seal off an area in the barn myself. Throw some cheap plywood on the floor inside to drive on instead of just the plastic... throw a fan in there, or maybe even a dehumidifier and still be way ahead of the game.

Khyron

Seal it with those shrink wraps they use for boats :lol:

Burp the lip and call it a season hehehe

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

The70RT

I just have a wood burner and it keeps the humidity low.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

I need something that I drive into, and can close up simple and quick.  I take my car out a lot, but sometimes I rains a lot and the garage gets damp. Then there are the longer storage winter issues also.

1969chargerrtse

I think I found what I can use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=98253

It doesn't show a front door/flap, so I have to make my own, but this would be perfect.  I can fold it up in summer, fall weather.  Open it and heat it in winter an wet spring weather.  Plus it's not to expensive.  The Charger is just over 17ft, it's low enough to have in the garage, and the exact width I need, any larger would be into the other bay.  Oh Yeah. :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

Have you thought about building another stall onto your existing garage?  Or building a seperate detached garage?  that is what i'm doing this spring, a separate detached garage for Chargers only!  :2thumbs:  But maybe you dont have the room, i dont know...  :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

You'd better have a real roof over that flat-roofed air chamber thing as well as the cheapo Harbor Freight setup if you live where it snows, otherwise it will collapse in on your car. The good thing about the bubble-type structures is that the roof is round so it's not going to catch as much snow and debris. That air chamber thing looks like it would cave in with three gallons of water on top of it. And I don't think I'd part anything I value under something made by Harbor Frieght.

Troy

Quote from: bull on February 26, 2009, 11:21:00 AM
You'd better have a real roof over that flat-roofed air chamber thing as well as the cheapo Harbor Freight setup if you live where it snows, otherwise it will collapse in on your car. The good thing about the bubble-type structures is that the roof is round so it's not going to catch as much snow and debris. That air chamber thing looks like it would cave in with three gallons of water on top of it. And I don't think I'd part anything I value under something made by Harbor Frieght.
He's specifically asking about putting in inside the garage (see thread title). Hopefully it doesn't rain or snow inside there. ;) Of course, I've recently experienced that exact situation and wished I had some sort of temporary structure.

I've seen people make temporary paint booths out of similar products - I may have to try that out one of these days...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger-fan

That thing from HF is pretty cool. I like that it collapses like that.

but, that's not going to seal out moisture. It doesn't talk about it being water resistant or water proof.
Make sure it's not a breathable fabric, or else all you'll be doing is shading the car and maybe preventing water from hitting the car - as in rain drops (hopefully that's not a problem inside your garage though)

If you do figure out a way to seal it up, make sure to add a fan and filter to circulate the air or else you'll be sealing moisture in as well.
As mentioned above, you could have more moisture wicking up through the concrete floor than you'd think - and that will be very bad for the car.

69bronzeT5

http://www.carcapsule.com/

I've seen ones with Daytonas and Superbees in them. It's probally the best thing to do to keep moisture out.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

Quote from: Troy on February 26, 2009, 11:38:02 AM
Quote from: bull on February 26, 2009, 11:21:00 AM
He's specifically asking about putting in inside the garage (see thread title). Hopefully it doesn't rain or snow inside there. ;) Of course, I've recently experienced that exact situation and wished I had some sort of temporary structure.

I've seen people make temporary paint booths out of similar products - I may have to try that out one of these days...

Troy

In that case I have to agree with Daytona R/T SE in saying do the work on your garage to seal it up and maybe get some heat and a dehumidifier in there. I can't see it being any more damp in your town than mine here in Portland, Oregon and my garage is dry as a bone.

ACUDANUT

I have a sealed garage and it still gets damp/wet on the concrete floor.  Dang Kansas Humidity.  It's so bad that my brand new Cragars SST's all pitted and they have never seen rain or snow.  :brickwall:

1969chargerrtse

Yes, I want to put a cheap garage in my garage.  That foldable 10x20 will not work as It can't be wider than 8ft.  10 ft will be in the wife's area, and not allow any room.  So either I do nothing, which will be cheap in the short run and very expensive in the long run, or cut my garage in half and enclose my section.  Unless I can find a 8x20 that will fit in there.

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 26, 2009, 02:17:42 PM
  I have a sealed garage and it still gets damp/wet on the concrete floor.  Dang Kansas Humidity.  It's so bad that my brand new Cragars SST's all pitted and they have never seen rain or snow.  :brickwall:

I hear ya.....Kansas sucks. It was over 70 yesterday and in the 20's tonight. If you don't use your garage for your daily driver you can use a space heater. If you keep it at least around 50 you should keep the floor from sweating as much when it warms up. I have one of those oil filled radiator type and it does the job on my 26' X 32' when it is in the 20's or above outside. I light my wood burner almost everyday so that helps dry it out good till spring comes. I keep my two ceiling fans on all year round as well to keep the air moving. The only thing I have to deal with is the heavy rains we have had the last few summers. My yard can get flooded and then water seeps in through the cracks in the floor.....fun fun. I live in a low lying area  :brickwall:

69bronzeT5

Can't be any worse than here....it's cold until like April. Like I've said before, my garage is so bad my Charger gets frost on it. I really do need a new garage :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ACUDANUT

Trying to convince the Old lady about us spending money for heat out there (in my seperate sealed garage) is like trying to draw blood from a turnip.  Times are tough here and money is very thin.  I'm screwed. :brickwall:

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 26, 2009, 08:07:20 PM
Trying to convince the Old lady about us spending money for heat out there (in my seperate sealed garage) is like trying to draw blood from a turnip.  Times are tough here and money is very thin.  I'm screwed. :brickwall:

Wood is cheapest. Initially maybe higher price to start but wood can be free in you hunt for it.........or follow the power line trimmers. I seen used ones on craigslist. The pipe is expensive though. Hopefully things will turn around for you.

ACUDANUT

Thanks.  Wood in kansas is scarce.  Our state tree here is a telephone pole, and not much shade at that.
Also, woodburning stoves are great, but are the cause for most home/garage fires !!  Insurance company's deny 99 percent of the claims too (so I hear).