News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions on portable garages, you have one? In your garage? UPDATE!!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, February 22, 2009, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 26, 2009, 08:17:10 PM
Thanks.  Wood in kansas is scarce.  Our state tree here is a telephone pole, and not much shade at that.
Also, woodburning stoves are great, but are the cause for most home/garage fires !!  Insurance company's deny 99 percent of the claims too (so I hear).

Maybe in Gardner but up here in Topeka trees are a nusance  :lol: We have enough severe storms to keep me stocked up. I have been burning wood for 25 years with no prob. but sure accidents can happen. I bet most of those people didn't have a safe system or was careless.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bill440rt

I store my '70 in something called a "Car Jacket". You unfold it on the floor, & drive over it. From there, I remove the battery, top off fluids, etc. Then I place several large bags of dessicant (included with the Car Jacket, & re-usable) throughout the car: engine compartment, interior, trunk, underneath, etc. You then cover the car with your regular car cover. Finally, you unfold the rest of it over the car, zip it shut, & lock it together with little padlocks.
Keeps out rodents, dust, moisture, etc. Unzip it come springtime & it's just like you put it away, dry & clean.
I did a step-by-step thread a while ago on this with several pictures. Try doing a search?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1969chargerrtse

Thanks, I've seen those.  Again I don't think that is for me. I want to be able to use my car all year.  I don't have a problem taking a short ride in the winter if the roads are dry.  I would be zipping and unzipping that thingway to much for my liking.  That's great for the winter long hauls.  Your Charge and garage are beautiful.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

I just saw sometimg that is what I'm talking about. It's called air flow, or airchamber. There is a video on you tube about it.  I already wrote the company and will be back with pictures and info soon.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

doctorpimp

I saw this post a little late but...
I used a Tent-Garage to work on, paint and then store my car during the winter snows (N-E Ontario, Canada...enough said about snow. LOL)
If you get one, expect to pay around $300 or so for it  Make sure it has strong-walled steel tubing supports. I had mine up for 1 1/2 years with no UV issues (well it was a fairly concealed spot) 
It worked great!  I took it down and still have it stored to use later!!!
The only thing is, you MUST go out and clear the snow during and after each snowfall... this is a must! No cave-ins!

The front and rear doors are zipped and bungied respectively - you can drive right through it and leave the doors rolled-up or off completely. 
I bought it at Canadian Tire.  Great piece of kit!
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

1969chargerrtse

69_500

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 26, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
http://www.carcapsule.com/

I've seen ones with Daytonas and Superbees in them. It's probally the best thing to do to keep moisture out.

Those car capsules work pretty darn good. I have a buddy who has 6 of them in his one shed/garage. He calls it a shed, I say its a barn. Being that 3 of the cars in the capsules are factory HEMI cars including a HEMI Cuda, 69 Bee, and a 69 RR. I'm sure a Charger would fit in the same one.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on February 28, 2009, 12:57:53 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 26, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
http://www.carcapsule.com/

I've seen ones with Daytonas and Superbees in them. It's probally the best thing to do to keep moisture out.

Those car capsules work pretty darn good. I have a buddy who has 6 of them in his one shed/garage. He calls it a shed, I say its a barn. Being that 3 of the cars in the capsules are factory HEMI cars including a HEMI Cuda, 69 Bee, and a 69 RR. I'm sure a Charger would fit in the same one.
Wow, can you get me some info please?   I can't find a USA site?   :popcrn:

1969chargerrtse

Never mind, they wrote me back.

http://www.airchamber-carcapsule.com/

I have a nice size tax return coming, so I'm buying it.  850.00 plus shipping.
I'll post pictures after I get it.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on March 01, 2009, 09:10:14 PM
Awesome Rob :cheers:
Flippin A.  Gotta take care of my baby.   :yesnod:
Should have it by Friday they tell me.  Now I just have to tell the wife.  :D
I have no problem explaining how I need to protect "our" investment.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 01, 2009, 10:43:55 PM
Just tell her it's either that, or her car stays outside.....You'll win. :yesnod:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 02, 2009, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 01, 2009, 10:43:55 PM
Just tell her it's either that, or her car stays outside.....You'll win. :yesnod:
Her cat is the biggest woosh in the world.  He wouldn't last 1 min outside.  Good idea, I'll do it.  :icon_smile_big:

TUFCAT

I wish I would've seen this thread earlier...

For the price of that tent - -  have you considered installing a heater your garage? It would take care of the dampness problem by eliminating moisture on an "as needed" basis, plus you can maintain a nice warm environment if you decided to work out there. That tent will still be damn COLD in the winter.

Last year I re-routed a pipe of natural gas into my garage (from the basement) then installed a heater from Lowes. The total cost was around $350 with materials. The extra cost to heat the garage above 40 degrees is minimal compared to that tent....and way more versatile for the kids ....and me, to play!  :icon_smile_tongue: (picture #1)

Plus there's no hassle of working on your car inside a tent!  :eek2:

I you decided to work on your car (like you did this winter) once you open the tent...you just let all the moisture in. When you're done working, and ready to seal it up, extra moisture you let in gets trapped inside! Doesn't make any sense to me.

This year I also bought a nice heavy duty garage floor mat to put underneath my car. This does a great job to prevent any moisture absorbed in the concrete to wick its way up from the ground and collect on the undercarriage. (see picture #2)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 02, 2009, 09:52:28 PM
I wish I would've seen this thread earlier...

For the price of that tent - -  have you considered installing a heater your garage? It would take care of the dampness problem by eliminating moisture on an "as needed" basis, plus you can maintain a nice warm environment if you decided to work out there. That tent will still be damn COLD in the winter.

Last year I re-routed a pipe of natural gas into my garage (from the basement) then installed a heater from Lowes. The total cost was around $350 with materials. The extra cost to heat the garage above 40 degrees is minimal compared to that tent....and way more versatile for the kids ....and me, to play!  :icon_smile_tongue: (picture #1)

Plus there's no hassle of working on your car inside a tent!  :eek2:

I you decided to work on your car (like you did this winter) once you open the tent...you just let all the moisture in. When you're done working, and ready to sealed it up, all that extra moisture you let in gets trapped inside! Doesn't make any sense to me.

This year I also bought a nice heavy duty garage floor mat to put underneath my car. This does a great job to prevent any moisture absorbed in the concrete to wick its way up from the ground and collect on the undercarriage. (see picture #2)

Thanks for your concern but I am positive I made the best choice for my needs.  You have to understand my garage.  It's a double door double bay, connected to the end of my house.  There is no way to enter it but from the outside.  2 big problems are that my wife goes in and out all the time which means whatever warm dry air in there is gone. In the winter or rainy days her damn foreign car  :icon_smile_wink: drops snow ice and water all over the cement floor which makes the area damp for my American baby :icon_smile_wink:.  There are spaces for cold and damp air to enter everywhere, and I have tall pointed roof to let all the heat out.  Nothing is insulated, none of the walls are sheetrocked like yours.   This capsule will be perfect.  I can open the door flap, and drive in and out as many times as I need.  I can seal it up on spring rainy days and the dual fans will move air through it and keep it dry.  I can heat it if I wish. CHEAP!.  If I have a need for more major Restoration ( Lord help me, no more please. ) I'll just move over to her bay, and start up my turbine heater.  :icon_smile_big:  No I thought this out long and hard, it was section off the garage (lots of time and money), or something portable like this.  If I had a garage like yours I wouldn't be doing it this way.  I'm confident the air chamber will work well for me.  I should have it Friday.  Saturday I'll open the side door to work on the interior.  Pics coming soon.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 02, 2009, 11:08:16 PM
Thanks for your concern but I am positive I made the best choice for my needs.  You have to understand my garage.  It's a double door double bay, connected to the end of my house.  There is no way to enter it but from the outside.  2 big problems are that my wife goes in and out all the time which means whatever warm dry air in there is gone. In the winter or rainy days her damn foreign car  :icon_smile_wink: drops snow ice and water all over the cement floor which makes the area damp for my American baby :icon_smile_wink:.  There are spaces for cold and damp air to enter everywhere, and I have tall pointed roof to let all the heat out.  Nothing is insulated, none of the walls are sheetrocked like yours.   This capsule will be perfect.  I can open the door flap, and drive in and out as many times as I need.  I can seal it up on spring rainy days and the dual fans will move air through it and keep it dry.  I can heat it if I wish. CHEAP!.  If I have a need for more major Restoration ( Lord help me, no more please. ) I'll just move over to her bay, and start up my turbine heater.  :icon_smile_big:  No I thought this out long and hard, it was section off the garage (lots of time and money), or something portable like this.  If I had a garage like yours I wouldn't be doing it this way.  I'm confident the air chamber will work well for me.  I should have it Friday.  Saturday I'll open the side door to work on the interior.  Pics coming soon.

First and foremost...you're a smart cookie.  :2thumbs:

Secondly, you really thought things out based on the design of your own garage.  :yesnod:

Thirdly, yes my wife and I bring in slush when we drive our cars in, but I'm always there (yes, I'm anal) with a squeegee. :eek2:

Fourthly, if there's such a thing as a fourthly, your car will be protected and that's all that matters!  :cheers:

Fifth and final, sounds like I'm lucky to get out this cheaply. If I had your situation, I may have done the exact same thing with my car. :icon_smile_wink:

1969chargerrtse

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 02, 2009, 11:44:40 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 02, 2009, 11:08:16 PM
First and foremost...you're a smart cookie.  :2thumbs:

Secondly, you really thought things out based on the design of your own garage.  :yesnod:

Thirdly, yes my wife and I bring in slush when we drive our cars in, but I'm always there (yes, I'm anal) with a squeegee. :eek2:

Fourthly, if there's such a thing as a fourthly, your car will be protected and that's all that matters!  :cheers:

Fifth and final, sounds like I'm lucky to get out this cheaply. If I had your situation, I may have done the exact same thing with my car. :icon_smile_wink:
Yeah it's a big cold dark place out there.  With 3 kids, one Cheerleading, the wife is in and out all day long.  The worst being the cold damp concrete floor. Heating that space would be like trying to heat my house, but leaving the doors open.

TUFCAT

You're right, most of your heat would be lost up in that high ceiling.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Old Moparz

I think I will look into one of those air chambers too. I have no intention of insulating, drywalling, & heating my garage anytime soon, so sealing off one car right now makes sense. I don't have a severe dampness issue, but the natural moisture in the air ends up on everything.  ::) The building is vented & I run the ceiling fans all the time for air flow, but some days the humidity is so high I find drops of water on metal objects & my daughter writes her name in the mist on the tool chest.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

1969chargerrtse

Well, keep checking back because I just installed my Air chamber and I'm gonna start downloading pictures.  Be back soon.   :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

O.K here are some pictures of what the kit looks like.  You unroll it and plug it in.  It fills with air and then you step inside and build the frame with the tent poles.