News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More HP in a 400 4bbl

Started by SE72, November 07, 2005, 02:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SE72

Does anyone have some tips of how to get more power into it. I have abt 250 hp now but was thinking of something like 350 to 400 hp. I was thinking of wich parts and prices, any tips is welcome
@[smiley: Hazzard Smileys: [12/12_7_25]]

Runner

what is the motor, a bone stock mid 70's 400?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

SE72

Ghoste

How much are you willing to spend?

SE72

Im not sure but something around 3 to 7000 usd, do u know how far i will get with that amount

TruckDriver

This is what I plan to do to mine. I'm aiming for about 4-500hp. This is from notes I took from this board and that old one...

750 edel carb.
edel. 4bbl. intake (I already have the 383 Performer intake)
windage tray
TTI Headers Ceramic Coating with Thermal Barrier inside
2-1/2" dual exhaust with X pipe, Dynomax 17748 Super Turbo Mufflers
Engle K54 cam, you can use the K56 as well for more midrange power at a slightly higher power band, anything bigger & the converter needs to be changed to match. (Probably add 30 + Useing the K54 cam, The carb., headers and cam, windage tray should give about a 100-150HP gain or so)

NOTE

I got these ideas from the members of this board. I'm still in the process of doing it.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

One of the first things you will need to do is find and befriend a good machinist.  And I mean a GOOD one.  There is a lot of power potential to be found in proper machining and assembly.  Component selection seems confusing with so many choices and opinions out there but if you look past the glossy catalogs at real world results, it becomes clearer.
There are a few extraordinarily sharp Mopar race engine builders on this site and their advice is gold.
You will probably spend closer to the 7 than the 3.

Chryco Psycho

you can gain quite a lot with just closed chamber heads & a good cam choice , I highly recommend going through the bottom end as well though & get  a GOOD machinist

TruckDriver

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 11, 2005, 12:44:27 AM
you can gain quite a lot with just closed chamber heads & a good cam choice

I only heard of closed chamber heads, never known anyone to run them. What makes them work better? Whats the power gain like in HP? About how much would it cost me to have it done?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

If you know anyone running the small chamber aluminum E-heads, they are closed chamber. Ron or Neil can explain the science better but it's about quench areaa and squish and flame front and so on.  Hmmm, voodoo?

Chryco Psycho

the closed chamber heads are far superior , by bringing the piston very close to the head [approx .040-.070] on the side of the chamber away from the spark plug it drives the air across the chamber at very high speed into the flame front from the spark plug this increases the power realized in the chamber due to higher mixing & turbulence & also has the benefit of resisting detonation , on a 400 the piston is usually too far away from the head due to low compression to really get the effect of but it still raises the compression by 1 point over the open chamber heads which will increase power
generally you can get 516 castings very easily & cheap , to machine the heads & replace the exhaust valves with 1.81 valves & have the hardened seats installed with porting will run approx $750-$850 = the cost of valve springs, retainers & the heads themselves

dustyswinger

Stroke it...440 source has rotating assemblies from $1389.00. My small block stroker made 515 HP and 515TQ. A big block will easily make 525-550 hp on pump gas. ?  ?
Try this ? topic also

? http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,427.0.html