News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

making my fuel gauge read right

Started by meanmarine, March 01, 2009, 04:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

how to make it work right?

fuel gauge
2 (66.7%)
gauges
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

meanmarine

when my fuel gauge reads empty I still have half a tank left. I know I will have to remove the sending unit and rebend it. My question is where should I bend it and how much? Is there  way I can test so I do not have to do it a hundred times? thanks alot

COKE

I think i have read that  you should to put 10 gallons in the tank so it should to read 1/2 Tank.
This amount of fuel also allows to you to remove the sender so many times as you need without the trouble of fuel falling from the tank hole.

I just wondering if somebody does make a new sender wich does not need to be calibrated before to install it.
69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.

70Sbird

Just my  :Twocents: here, but my car acted the same as yours E on the gauge had 10 gallons in the tank and when the tank was full it only read 3/4 of a tank.
I bought a fuel tank package with a new tank, sending unit, straps etc... and when it was all said and done there was no significant change in my fuel gauge reading. I bent the rod, tried all kinds of different combination's and floats, bends etc.. the gauge is correct and goes to full when you ground the pin at the tank. I read somewhere on another thread that all of the new reproduction sending units have a different range of resistance than the original factory sender,  so none of them read right. I'm giving up until I can come up with a better solution or can confirm that a NOS sender will fix my problem. Hopefully someone out there has a solution!
:brickwall:

Scott Faulkner

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 70Sbird on March 06, 2009, 09:58:10 PM
Just my  :Twocents: here, but my car acted the same as yours E on the gauge had 10 gallons in the tank and when the tank was full it only read 3/4 of a tank.
I bought a fuel tank package with a new tank, sending unit, straps etc... and when it was all said and done there was no significant change in my fuel gauge reading. I bent the rod, tried all kinds of different combination's and floats, bends etc.. the gauge is correct and goes to full when you ground the pin at the tank. I read somewhere on another thread that all of the new reproduction sending units have a different range of resistance than the original factory sender,  so none of them read right. I'm giving up until I can come up with a better solution or can confirm that a NOS sender will fix my problem. Hopefully someone out there has a solution!
:brickwall:

I have a problem with my fuel gauge also not reading right  :shruggy: So I would also like more info on after market fuel senders, witch ones are good,or should I say work right. What brand fuel sending units are you guys using out there and who did you get them from :shruggy:  This is one of the problems I have on my car that I want to fix this spring, it would nice to know how much fuel is in the car.  I don't care how much it costs as long as it works right :2thumbs: Any info on this would be great :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

All those re-pop sending units are ...what's the technical term.....crap. All have the same problem...reading 3/4 when full. Roger Gibson will have theirs coming out any day now. They are testing perfect.  ;D

I have 3 cars to fix now   :rotz:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 07, 2009, 07:31:12 PM
All those re-pop sending units are ...what's the technical term.....crap. All have the same problem...reading 3/4 when full. Roger Gibson will have theirs coming out any day now. They are testing perfect.  ;D

That's excellent news!! Ant idea what the cost is going to be on the unit??
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69chargerR/T

Don't mean to sound dumb, but who is Roger Gibson :shruggy: Do you have a contact #.  There are so many people making stuff out there it's hard to keep track of who's who.

histoy

I've replaced several sending units within the last year and a half.  I check them before they're installed to see if the gauge will read Full with the float in the upward position.  So far, each one has worked the gauge properly.  As it was noted above, I try to have about 10 gallons in the gas tank.  This allows you to remove the sending unit without losing any gas.  I bend the float arm so the gauge reads 1/2 Full when the sending unit is installed.  I also make sure that the sending unit is well grounded.  I've had to run a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame in order to get a good ground on some cars.  One sending unit I purchased even had an extra terminal on it specifically for a ground wire.   I've had good luck with sending units I've purchased from Year One and The Paddock.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: histoy on March 07, 2009, 08:15:43 PM
I've replaced several sending units within the last year and a half.  I check them before they're installed to see if the gauge will read Full with the float in the upward position.  So far, each one has worked the gauge properly.  As it was noted above, I try to have about 10 gallons in the gas tank.  This allows you to remove the sending unit without losing any gas.  I bend the float arm so the gauge reads 1/2 Full when the sending unit is installed.  I also make sure that the sending unit is well grounded.  I've had to run a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame in order to get a good ground on some cars.  One sending unit I purchased even had an extra terminal on it specifically for a ground wire.   I've had good luck with sending units I've purchased from Year One and The Paddock.

You must be living right.  :yesnod:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on March 07, 2009, 07:52:55 PM

Don't mean to sound dumb, but who is Roger Gibson :shruggy: Do you have a contact #.  There are so many people making stuff out there it's hard to keep track of who's who.

Roger Gibson Auto Restoration. Roger does restorations - He and Frank Badalson have a reproduction parts business www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 07, 2009, 07:33:18 PM

That's excellent news!! Ant idea what the cost is going to be on the unit??

Not sure of the cost yet....Maybe I can get the site members a discount if they are interested. They should be arriving in a few weeks

Nacho-RT74

I didn't have any problem with the unit I got from Vans Auto Salvage!!! perfectreading from the first time on low and full readings... simply PERFECT
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 07, 2009, 11:50:39 PM
I didn't have any problem with the unit I got from Vans Auto Salvage!!! perfectreading from the first time on low and full readings... simply PERFECT

Sister Mary, we have another miracle!   :laugh:

BigBlockSam

i bought a tank and unit from ebay and it reads fine .  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

UFO

edit - actually read from the beginning and answered my own questions. :brickwall:

vancamp

mine is reading empty  (still havent removed the electric pump) so i figured it was the ground I grounded the sending unit wire and the needle pegged out, tried grounding the line coming out of the sending unit to the frame and zilch :shruggy:

69chargerR/T

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 08, 2009, 07:55:13 PM
i bought a tank and unit from ebay and it reads fine .  :shruggy:

Do you know who you got your sending unit from.

maxwellwedge

To Clarify - All the ones friends and I have had the troubles with are 3/8".

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

BigBlockSam

QuoteDo you know who you got your sending unit from.

sorry bro , it was a long time ago :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

acelondon

Mine reads low like that because i have a bad connection. Blue wire in the harness under the EBrake Pedal.  :Twocents:

Just need to get around to cleaning it...

Martian R/T

I got mine from Year One a few years back and it was in a Chrysler box, it had been reworked with the 3/8" tube, the part # on the box was for the 5/16" tube, it worked fine, but over the last couple of years it started reading off, when I took it out when I was having fuel problems earlier this year the cheapo plastic float had fuel inside it, so I bought a Ford brass float and fixed the problem. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

Charger-Bodie

I ordered one of the new Frank Batelsen units today. I will report my findings when I have it switched.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

69chargerR/T

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 11, 2009, 04:26:17 PM
I ordered one of the new Frank Batelsen units today. I will report my findings when I have it switched.

Have you made the switch yet, and who is Frank Batelsen.  I just checked my fuel gauge problem today, I need a new sending unit.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on March 29, 2009, 01:25:10 PM

Have you made the switch yet, and who is Frank Batelsen.  I just checked my fuel gauge problem today, I need a new sending unit.

I actually have made the switch, but I havent filled it with gas yet.

It does read a little higher after the switch than it did before. But the true test will be when its full of gas.

.......Stay tuned.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 29, 2009, 06:17:32 PM

I actually have made the switch, but I havent filled it with gas yet.

It does read a little higher after the switch than it did before. But the true test will be when its full of gas.

.......Stay tuned.

But gas is cheaper now Brian... :lol:  I will be trying one in a few weeks myself.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 29, 2009, 06:30:36 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on March 29, 2009, 06:17:32 PM

I actually have made the switch, but I ha vent filled it with gas yet.

.......Stay tuned.

But gas is cheaper now Brian... :lol:  I will be trying one in a few weeks myself.

Yeah, I just don't want to fill it yet for a few , one is I don't want to check it for leaks in the storage building, and I don't know if it will ever be spring here in Iowa. If I fill it now it will probably be varnish by the time I get to drive it. That's how it seems anyway. :brickwall:

maxwellwedge

Spring will be sprung .....one day - Maybe you wll go straight into summer.

Corellian Corvette

I just ordered the 3/8 sending unit from Roger Gibson. I'll install as soon as it comes in and let everyone know what happens.  :cheers:

mopar0166

what ohms the the stock sending unit run at, i can get my guage to pick up a reading, so im goin to go with and after market one.  any suggestions ?

69chargerR/T

Quote from: mopar0166 on March 31, 2009, 07:18:35 AM
what ohms the the stock sending unit run at, i can get my guage to pick up a reading, so im goin to go with and after market one.  any suggestions ?

10 to 75 ohms