News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The disc brake/spindle debate rages on....

Started by bull, November 07, 2005, 09:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

...over at moparts. This is a good example of why there's never been a definitive answer to the question of using the taller spindles: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2098376&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=3

Troy

I've had a few conversations/emails/pms with AndyF (AR Engineering) and I've come to the conclusion that he knows more about brakes than I ever will. He not only tells you his honest opinion but then he gets out and tests the heck out of anything and everything he makes. So, rather than debate on and on forever I'll just make up my own mind about what works on my car and what I feel comfortable with based on the research of others who I feel I can trust. I don't have the time, money, energy, or knowledge to go out beating on parts until they break just to find out which would hold up better under 40 years of hard driving. :D

After saying all that, Rick Ehrenberg chimes in as well so even Mopar "gurus" can't ever agree on anything it seems. I know of at least two other people whose opinions I highly value that won't even discuss the brake issue in public - but I'm not going to repeat their opinions.

FYI: If anyone finds any info in that thread they think is valuable then they should save it to their own hard drive. I had 15 or more brake threads from Moparts bookmarked and they are all dead and gone now (they "clean out" older threads I guess). I obviously don't remember all of the information or I wouldn't have bookmarked them. Dang.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

It does make me feel better not knowing it all about this since the experts can't really come to an agreement. My conclusion about it all is to err on the side of caution because no one is saying the height-correct spindles are a problem (unless you start debating the side-to-side swap issue). You can still get the correct ones at wrecking yards and even new through MP Brakes so why not spend a little extra for the insurance. Cheap isn't always best.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Troy on November 07, 2005, 10:13:30 PM
I've had a few conversations/emails/pms with AndyF (AR Engineering) and I've come to the conclusion that he knows more about brakes than I ever will. He not only tells you his honest opinion but then he gets out and tests the heck out of anything and everything he makes. So, rather than debate on and on forever I'll just make up my own mind about what works on my car and what I feel comfortable with based on the research of others who I feel I can trust. I don't have the time, money, energy, or knowledge to go out beating on parts until they break just to find out which would hold up better under 40 years of hard driving. :D

After saying all that, Rick Ehrenberg chimes in as well so even Mopar "gurus" can't ever agree on anything it seems. I know of at least two other people whose opinions I highly value that won't even discuss the brake issue in public - but I'm not going to repeat their opinions.

FYI: If anyone finds any info in that thread they think is valuable then they should save it to their own hard drive. I had 15 or more brake threads from Moparts bookmarked and they are all dead and gone now (they "clean out" older threads I guess). I obviously don't remember all of the information or I wouldn't have bookmarked them. Dang.

Troy

I've hung out for hours with E-berg and he's a wealth of info... the term guru is an understatement.   Just to hang out in a diner for lunch that lasts all afternoon is cool as all hell to me.    He really is a cool guy.   I'm sure Andy is too.   Hell I'm looking to do the viper caliper thing cause I've seen how it works on his Road Runner - which is a lot better than my single pistons!!!     
I'm not qualified to go arguing in that thread... nor would I want to in the first place - I fix mainframes for a living.   But there seems to be a couple people showing up in that thread just to get in on a blanket party.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

jaak

don't the taller spindles come with the MP Brakes, brake kit they always advertise in mopar mags?

ChargerBill

bull, now I remember wht you and I disagreed about. Hey, no biggie...if the experts can't agree then to me that just means that there is no definitive "right" answer. I figure that if Mopar Engineers spent millions in developing the stock stuff, it must be good enough for my car. And if racers are correcting an inherent camber problem by changing the travel arch of the upper control arm on B-bodies, and a taller spindle does has the same effect, it only makes logical sense. Of course, that's just  MHO. Let the debate rage on... I'm going to go check out the Moparts thread. :icon_smile_wink:
Life is a highway...

bull

Bill,

I don't think we disagreed on this one either. I don't think I even posted one message on your old thread regarding the tall spindles, in fact I was on board for a while and even bought a pair of spindles off and Aspen but when I tried them on they didn't clear. I wasn't smart enough at the time to let the front end of the car down to check clearance. :-\ By then I had returned those spindles and purchased some off a Dart. I really have no solid opinion one way or the other so I just have what I have now.