News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

door locks work half the time?

Started by 69bananabeast, November 07, 2005, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

lately my door locks have only been working half the time .  When I try locking the door from the inside and closing the door it doesnt lock all the time.  what can I do to fix it or do I just need to get new ones all together
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

8WHEELER

My 68's not only will not lock if you push the lock botton down and try and shut the door, the
door will not evan shut, or will push the lock back up. I thought my 69 I had 24yrs ago was the
same way. You have to have the door shut before you can lock it, All my 68's have been this way.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

Yep.  You have to use the key.  These cars were built back in the day when most people trusted their neighbors and a lot of these cars would be left parked with the keys in the ignition.  You didn't want to jump out and lock your keys in the car.

Chryco Psycho

there is a tab on the latch that can be bent over to allow the door to be locked & then shut , possibly someone has bent the tab but not far enough to allow it to  work all the time , I generally alter the pasenger door os at least it can be locked & then closed so you do not have to walk around the car or wait for the passenger to get out before locking the door 

69bananabeast

I also forgot to mention that on the passengers side the push tab on the handle gets stuck and doesnt always come back out.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

Ghoste

Might be worth your while to pull the interior door panel and have a look in there.  It sounds like the whole works may be just plain worn out.  It may just need adjustment and lubrication though.

Chryco Psycho

you may need to replace the passenger door handle , possibly just cleaning & lubing it may get it working again though

THE CHARGER PUNK

we never lock the doors and if its a sunny day we leave windows rolled down and be gone for an hour or so-MATT

69bananabeast

yeah... it's kind of hard to do that sometimes, especially when I hang out with my friends on the BAD side of town.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318