News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need a little Valve Cover 101

Started by Headrope, November 07, 2005, 10:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

I recently purchased a running '76 400 that I intend to stroke next year; probably to 471. In the mean time I want to drive it - but the valve covers have got to go.

From what I've been able to gather all big block valve covers 361-440 are interchangable - except the 426 - as long as there are the same number of bolt holes. Is this correct?

I'm guessing I want taller than stock valve covers?

Exactly what is involved to install baffles?

Why do new valve covers have two spots for breathers on each cover? How difficult is it to install breathers?

Sorry for the seemingly simple questions. I know much about cars/engines but never really thought about valve covers before.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

cudaken

Baffles should all ready be in them head rope. Yes as long as the holes are the same the cover's should fit. As far as the PCV valve opening on my M/T you just knock out the center of the hole you want to run. Hard part was find the PCV valve and boot to fit the opening. I used a Ford set up. New ones may come with them.

Stock breather from the 67 383 will not fit. I am talking about the black one with the hose that runs to the air cleaner.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

what is wrong with the covers on the engine?

Lowprofile

Don't mean to hijack......... Do they still sell M/T Valve covers? :icon_smile_question:

BTW Headrope..... A 471 Stroker sounds awsome! What kind of car is it going into?
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Headrope

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 08, 2005, 12:53:44 PM
what is wrong with the covers on the engine?

Nothing really. They just look like crap: flakey, yellow paint on top of primer on top of what looks to be factory blue paint.
Because the rest of the engine is blue I'm guessing a previous owner had a set of chrome valve covers on there and swapped the yellow things on before the sale. Options include keeping what I've got or getting something else and although I know a fair amount about engines I've never purchased valve covers before and wanted to educate myself.

To answer Lowprofile's question: It will be going in to my '66.

Ghoste

I'd strip them and repaint them myself.  Just for that factory stock look on a 471.

Chryco Psycho

the steel valve covers will flex & seal on the heads , the valve cover rail on the heads is not milled , it is just cast & can be as much as 1/4" low in the corners , this makes sealing up the cast alum covers, which cannot flex & tough chore most of the time 

Headrope

Good point. I'll just sandblast the ones I've got then.
Thanks for the help folks.