News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

floor jack

Started by 0X01B8, March 09, 2009, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

Can anybody recommend a good, dependable floor jack?  My trusty 2 1/4 ton Craftsman that I've been using for the last 15-20 years won't lift much past halfway anymore.  I was gonna just go get another, but the reviews on every model on the Sears website are filled with stuff like "used 3 times and started leaking" so I don't wanna risk it.

thanks.

-john

hemigeno

Have you tried adding some hydraulic jack oil to the reservoir?  My trusty Craftsman jack started leaking a bit, but that was after 15 years of service.  I'd rather eat glass than go to the lightweight frame style that they're selling now though, so filling the jack back up is a better solution in my book.

:Twocents:

GreenMachine

:iagree:

There should be a plug on top of the cylinder/reservoir. Top it off with "Hydraulic Jack Oil". I'm not sure the proper way to do it, I just tighten the release needle and pull up on the jack pad and add the oil, then I'll let the jack down and the excess fluid pukes out. When it's done puking, I'll put the plug back in.
   As far as new craftsman jacks, I have a 3 ton that's about 3 years old that I haven't had any problems with and works great.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

0X01B8

Thanks - I guess I'll try that.  Only reason I haven't is that I've never noticed it leaking, so I figured it must be some internal seal that's gone bad.  I mean, where could the fluid have gone?  Then again, the collective wisdom of this group is seldom mistaken.