News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Instrument Panel Lighting Gremlins

Started by snicker, November 08, 2005, 01:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snicker

I've having some wierd things happening on a new instrument panel I got. When the headlights are off, my left and right turn signals light up fine and work no problem. My hazard lights also work and my instrument panel displays them blinking together.

None of this works right though if I turn my headlights on. As soon as I turn on headlights (which work fine) my right turn signal illuminates as well. If I turn on the right turn signal it starts blinking like it should but it always stays lit. Also, my hazard lights won't come on at all if the headlights are on.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how I can debug it?

FLASH80

Hmmm... I can't really help troubleshoot but I can commiserate.  This sounds like the problem I am experiencing except that it's my left indicator that spontaneously decides to illuminate when the lights are on.  Gremlins indeed! I figured my entire interior wiring harness is going to be replaced, and perhaps, ultimately, I will be sending out the instrument panel for refurbishment... unless there's really good documentation on DIY.

Ghoste

My first guess would be a short in the circuit to the turn signal switch or possibly the switch itself.  Headlight switch would also be a suspect.

snicker

Well, I have reason to believe that the wiring harness and turn signal switches are all fine due to them working properly in my old instrument panel. I guess one thing I can do to start debugging is take the headlight switch from my old panel and plug it into this one and see how it goes.

Ghoste

Another thing to check is the dimmer switch.

Plumcrazy

Sounds like a ground problem.
What year car are you working on?

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

snicker

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2005, 11:58:24 AM
Another thing to check is the dimmer switch.

What should I look for with this? My other instrument panel didn't have a working dimmer switch. This one actually works as far as dimming the panel lights.

snicker

Quote from: Plumcrazy on November 08, 2005, 12:12:02 PM
Sounds like a ground problem.
What year car are you working on?

It is a 69 Charger with a 69 instrument panel. From what I know, the only grounds on the instrument panel are from the 5 screws that secure it down. Is this correct?

Ghoste

I meant the dimmer switch on the floor for the high and low beams.

snicker

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2005, 04:08:14 PM
I meant the dimmer switch on the floor for the high and low beams.

What should I be looking for there? The floor dimmer switch turns the hi beams on and off and correctly activates the red light in the instrument panel. Is there some other ground with it that I need to be looking for?

Ghoste

If it's shorting out internally it can cause bizarre problems.   You described it as gremlins so it becomes a case of knowns and unknowns in the electrical circuit.   I am the first to admit that electrical is my weakest area of automotive knowledge but my 67 was full of gremlins and one thing I learned was that the problem can frequently turn up in areas which on the surface seem illogical.   Electricity follows the path of least resistance and the dimmer is in the lighting circuit.   As far as a physical symptom to determine if it's the cause or not, that's where I fail you.   If you have another you can swap it in and see if it helps.
I had a failed floor dimmer once and I now forget the peculiar way it made itself known but I do recall that it had nothing to do with high low selection.   It appeared somewhere in the other lighting functions.
I still tend to think the problem is somewhere further up the chain.  
Did the problem occur immediately after swapping the new panel?

snicker

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2005, 04:39:11 PM
Did the problem occur immediately after swapping the new panel?

Yes, it is directly related to putting in a new instrument panel. None of the problems existed on the old panel. I had an older 68 instrument panel and the fuel/temp/oil gauges didn't work so I now have a better condition and correct for my car 69 instrument panel. Once I hooked it up I was excited that the fuel/temp/oil gauges now work correctly.

I'm just frustrated that the right turn signal lights up steady when I activate the lights. I won't have time until a few days from now but I will try taking out my new headlight switch and putting in the old one to see what happens. Hopefully someone else can chime in with experience on possible ground issues or something simple like that.

Ghoste

snicker

Yes, I believe I have everything wired correctly to the back of the instrument panel.

Ghoste

Okay, I don't need to send you that then.  I'm sitting here looking at it trying to figure where everything is going.  The flasher draws power from the turn signal switch and I have to look more closely from there.

snicker

Quote from: Ghoste on November 08, 2005, 05:00:50 PM
Okay, I don't need to send you that then.   I'm sitting here looking at it trying to figure where everything is going.   The flasher draws power from the turn signal switch and I have to look more closely from there.

Well, if you have a digital version of it that would be nice to have as well so I don't have to run out to my work bench when checking on things.  aaronb@3dretreat.com please :)

Ghoste

No I have the old fashioned paper version here by my computer.

71_deputy

can't see much that will do what you say for the fun lighing problem - is the dash grounded- ie- it isn't out of the phyiscal dash????? the cluster has to be grounded to work correctly!!

only thing that comes to my mind is that a turn signal/parking light bulb has a internal short or is back feeding power to the lights!!!

take out all the bulbs out of the right side and see if the problems come back- if all is well- then put one bulb back at a time to see if it returns!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

snicker

Quote from: 71_deputy on November 08, 2005, 07:28:42 PM
can't see much that will do what you say for the fun lighing problem - is the dash grounded- ie- it isn't out of the phyiscal dash????? the cluster has to be grounded to work correctly!!

The dash is screwed into the body with 5 screws. That's the only grounding I need to do correct? I'm going to try your idea of messing around with the light bulbs. I did find my hi beam indicator light was broken and wasn't the case earlier. I have since replaced it but have the same results.

71_deputy

good- now for all the right side bulbs- front and back- also when you remove the bulbs- check the socket to make sure there isn't anything betwwen the two pins that connect to the bulb- also make sure the case of the socket is a good ground for the bulb.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van