News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bb head help

Started by fast360, November 08, 2005, 05:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast360

so i was going to build a small block but why not a 440, i am just torn on heads i have a pair of 906 heads but i hear there not the best, and if i do keep them should i get porting done on them or is it worth it i want the rpms at 3000 to 6000

Ghoste

If you're looking to make power in the upper rpm range then you might as well spring for one of the many aluminum choices available now in the aftermarket.

cudaken

906 heads are good heads. But depending on what shape they are in, guides, seats, valves etc may be cheaper to use the Edelbrock heads.

Replaceing all the parts in the 906's would run around $900.00 to stock. No pocket work, port match, add another $500 for that and you cold get the E-heads, all new and some change back.

I have never ran them, few don't like them but most of the guys here swear by them.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Chryco Psycho

wait for the Eddy Victor heads , they are better

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 08, 2005, 12:51:58 PM
wait for the Eddy Victor heads , they are better

While the Victor head looks better on paper in terms of flow, it might not be the best choice for a street combo. The intake port volume is advertised at 280cc which is significantly bigger than the Performer Rpm head which is ~ 210cc. Velocity will be slower at lower engine speeds which can hurt throttle response. The intake rockers are offset so stock rocker arms are a no-go with these castings. The exhaust ports are slightly raised and further out than either an oem head or the RPM heads....which could create potential header fitment issues. TTI's should still work but other headers might not. We won't know until someone actually buys a set and bolts them on.

I see this head as a good candidate for a 500ci stroker build. Bigger port volume, nice chamber and 330cfm (advertised) intake flow at .600 lift all with a standard port window. If they're as good as advertised, Edelbrock will have a serious head to compete with in the aftermarket along with Indy and Brodix. Hopefully pricing will be in the same ballpark as the RPM heads.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I knew the casting process & overall quality of the Victor heads was better , didn`t have the specs on the CCs though
thanks Ron

Ghoste

So they aren't being cast in Edelbrocks usual foundry?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 09, 2005, 11:19:09 PM
I knew the casting process & overall quality of the Victor heads was better , didn`t have the specs on the CCs though
thanks Ron

No problemo Neil. The other critical dimensions worth noting : 75cc dual quench (heart shaped) combustion chamber and .400 longer valves.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

finally a real chamber !! , I knew they had added the heart shaped chamber

fast360

thanks for the reply everyone, The victor heads sound nice, i am just going to do a warm street build at first and then do a really seroius street later down the line and i would like to only have to pay that much once so is it a bad idea to go for victors or just go for performer rpm

Ghoste

Perhaps the Victor head is designed for the Victor intake, Dominator, solid lifter crowd?

Chryco Psycho

I would spend the $$ once & get the Victors or Bulldogs if you are building a stronger engine soon anyway