News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this Charger too far gone?

Started by Random-Hero-, March 11, 2009, 03:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random-Hero-

Lads, I've been offered this Charger by my neighbor, since he's seen me been starting to work on my 1970.

It's in rough shape, and he said he'll sell it to me for about $400. Is there hope for this car? It's a 1968 Charger 440 R/T.

I will post more pictures ASAP.
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega-Cab Laramie
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure
1970 Dodge Charger - current project
1968 Dodge Charger - stored, future project

WingCharger

:o :o :o :o :o
For $400 any classic MoPar is worth the price. With more and more repro parts becoming available, it is a no brainier! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
You could part it also...

ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS A R/T! :drool5: :drool5:

tan top

got to be worth it , & with all the repop panels , not hard reconstructing the body , just time consuming to do a factory appearing job  :yesnod:

:popcrn: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69hemi

Nothing is too far gone.....within reason.

I didn't say this but you could jack up the VIn and slide a new car under it

:popcrn:
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

FLG

Post up the fender tag and vin!!

There are SO many repopped panels around that as long as you have the time and money, that should be a problem. Does it have its engine and tranny laying around?

Random-Hero-

Quote from: FLG on March 11, 2009, 04:25:46 PMThere are SO many repopped panels around that as long as you have the time and money, that should be a problem.

I hope you mean that "shouldn't" be a problem, lol!

Well this is something that I'm planning on doing over the next few years, I'm not in any rush. But then again I could also get this one for $5000.

But this one ain't down the road from my ranch. It's about, oh, 800 miles away, lol.

They're both R/T's, but I'm wondering if it would cost me less to buy the shitty 1968 and buy the panels, and do all the bodywork, then to spend 5k on the other 1970. Because I'd have to get them both soda-blasted anyways. The only thing I'm worrying about on the 68 is the rust on the rear quarter-panels. Because of the unibody, I'd have to do some major surgery, and thats not work I can do myself, so that would eat into my wallet a bit.
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure

WingCharger

69bronzeT5

$400 for a '68 R/T!!! I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Random-Hero-

But see WingCharger, he can do all the welding and fabrication himself, I can't, I have to get a guy to do that for me, lol, and that costs mucho $$$
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure

WingCharger

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 11, 2009, 05:25:53 PM
But see WingCharger, he can do all the welding and fabrication himself, I can't, I have to get a guy to do that for me, lol, and that costs mucho $$$
:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
It all depends on your decision man. :icon_smile_big:
Just wanted you to know it is possible to do major repair to the extent he did. :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

Since you were asking about making a 70 look like a 69 in another thread, I'm going to make the leap here and tell you to not buy either one of those cars.  Save your money and keep looking for a 69 IF that's what you want.  because if it is what you want, it looks to me like you are about to bookend the car you want with a pair that both need work.  By the time you finish restoring thsoe two deals you'll have enough money tied up to have picked up a 69.
Am I reading correctly that you already have one 70 and you are looking at a second?

6d9 charger

I SECOND THAT !    WAIT FOR WHAT YOU WANT , UNLESS MONEY AND TIME ARE NOT AN OBJECT.

Random-Hero-

But I mean, common, It's an R/T for $400..

Besides, I gave up on converting the 70 to a 69, not worth it..

I'm just wondering if you guys think its worth buying and fixing up, or paying more for a car with less rust.
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure

WingCharger

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 11, 2009, 06:26:04 PM

I'm just wondering if you guys think its worth buying and fixing up, or paying more for a car with less rust.
For $400, it would be worth it to buy it just to part it, and use for another resto. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

69bronzeT5

If it were me...I'd buy it to restore. :Twocents:

Ghoste

Okay, that's a whole new kettle of fish then.  Yes, you should add the 68 to your collection.  Maybe you'll eventually score a 69 too and you'll have a complete set from the 2nd generation of Charger.

Random-Hero-

So the general consensus is yes I should buy it?

By god I will, and as god and this forum as my witness, I will restore it to its former glory, and rub it in Al Gores hybrid loving face!!
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure

Ghoste

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers: :2thumbs: :cheers: :2thumbs: :cheers:

Let it be known by all who follow the way of the Charger that it is a noble deed you do this day.

WingCharger

My respect goes out to you! :cheers: :cheers:
Hope to see this Charger restored, and the progress seen by everyone on this forum. :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Now get out, and POST. :icon_smile_big:

Oh, and your username is cool. :icon_smile_big:

mauve66

don't take this wrong but unless you are running your own body shop the money you put into this is more than buying a better car would be, and i don't agree that the $5000 car is worth that amount anyway, but here is my .02, since you put it out there.................

Quote from: WingCharger on March 11, 2009, 06:31:41 PM
Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 11, 2009, 06:26:04 PM

For $400, it would be worth it to buy it just to part it, and use for another resto. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:
my question is what are you parting out to cover the $400 you getting into it??
engine, gone
tranny, gone
interior, gone
front clip, gone
rear bumper, gone
trunk lid, something is up with it, i see a hinge sticking up in the middle of it

oh yeah it has a good drivers mirror and a useable steering wheel

as bad as the body looks i bet the floors are even worse, i've always been told that you should buy the most complete car you can afford, its gonna be a coule of years BEFORE you even gewt to this car you said, and its not gonna get any less rusty

yes its a R/T but come on, is it REALLY an R/T after you replace 80% of the body panels??
and since it doesn't have its matching motor/tranny, what difference does it make when you put a 440 into this thing or get a driver 318 car and do the swap??

again its only my .02 but its your money
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

superduperbee

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 11, 2009, 06:45:54 PM
So the general consensus is yes I should buy it?

By god I will, and as god and this forum as my witness, I will restore it to its former glory, and rub it in Al Gores hybrid loving face!!

Al Gore drives a Maserati and flies all over the world in his private jet. He just wants US to drive hybrids so he can use more fuel himself. Typical politician.  :flame:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Random-Hero- on March 11, 2009, 06:45:54 PM

:woohoo: :woohoo:

70redbee

I believe that every Mopar should be saved. They don't make em like that anymore and never will. Buy it and tell your friends you have it,someone will make good use of it and you will always get your money back. Just my :Twocents:

thatildo68

its not dead till its buried!  buy the charger man its only $400 store it in your bedroom if you have too
lets not leave another mopar to the grim reaper   :'(

Random-Hero-

Gentlemen, it has been bought, and stored.
2004 Hummer H2 Adventure